Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing this thing since before the virus but the funny thing is today watching old recycled Murder She Wrote episodes low and behold there was a standard poodle on the TV in the role of a detective's sidekick and attack dog! Watched the show then backed it up to get some stills of the dog in action. It was a pleasant surprise. 20200408_132315.jpg 20200408_132223.jpg 20200408_131726.jpg

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Haha,

I just finished reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott for a book group. Not only did Aunt March have a poodle which Jo inherited along with the house when Aunt March died. But she mentioned that there were many “poodles and hounds“ in the community where she lived.

Reactions: Rose n Poos and Liz

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
My spouse insisted I buy a copy of "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck after we got Pogo and Snarky. I think I read it as a teenager; I have no idea how my spouse learned of it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I remember that episode. Standard poodles guarded the kings of France, so I was not surprised that one would bite.

Your spouse probably learned of it because at some point students are forced to read something by John Steinbeck.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
My spouse insisted I buy a copy of "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck after we got Pogo and Snarky. I think I read it as a teenager; I have no idea how my spouse learned of it.
I named my first standard poodle Charley with reference to Steinbeck's book. His full name was Jaylee Charley Black. He had a great show career, but his best career was as a school poodle. I taught middle school at that time and often took him with me to school. Achievement and/or good behavior was rewarded with getting to have Charley sit next to your desk. One special event has always stayed with me: I had a student who was incarcerated at the Sheriff's Boys Ranch. He had killed his sister's abusive boyfriend. One day he did especially well in class and got to sit with Charley. Charley sensed how troubled the boy was and gave him a gentle lick on the cheek. The boy was thrilled with his new friend and said: "No one ever kissed me before". That just ripped my heart out - and still does whenever I think of it. How terrible that no one had loved that little boy!

Another big plus for taking Charley to school was that, like my AfricanAmerican students, he had a crisp, thick, black coat. He was in full show coat. I told them that Charley had won many dog shows and that one of his best features was his coat. That gave them a new perspective on the quality of their own hair!

There are so many dogs who are bringing happiness to students, hospital patients, prisoners, and others who are in need of some love. I cannot imagine life without dogs.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Our potty command was taken from Charley: "Pffft." I figured it would be good to use a word a poodle can say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts