Poodle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! i had a question about underbite in toy poodles?
is it fairly common, do they self correct, or they they end up with issues.
A breeder has a puppy that is 9 weeks old and i noticed a Underbite, he did not disclose this information to me, I had insisted on viewing the puppy occlusion and noticed the underbite.
My concern is whether underbites are common in toy poodles purebred and if do they correct or does this cause problems in the long run. Please comment your thoughts thank you!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Without pictures, it would be impossible to say. I was worried my dog had an over-bite. two vets told be he had a perfect scissor bite. I still worry about it, but guess it's just the wy he "smiles",

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
No, they’re not common as far as I know. I doubt they correct themselves, unless it’s very subtle. Underbites can be more than just aesthetics, it can cause physical issues. I would pass personnally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree i contacted my vet and she told me to walk away, the "breeder" seemed more of a broker, who said he didn't know about malocclusion issues in dogs. Its unfortunate the dog was pretty and i felt so attached, but i made the choice to not take him due to the dental issues and that the "breeder" did not disclose this issue in the beginning and was charging $$$4000 for a puppy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
$4,000 for a puppy? For that amount of money, I would be looking at the very top breeders and would have a reason ( conformation, agility prospect etc. ) for wanting a puppy from specific breeder. To me, that is a high price for a good pet puppy. My Sammy is a wonderful poodle. He excels at agility, but would be a failure in the show ring. He is the BEST pet anyone could want. His adoption fee was less than 25% of $4 grand. I feel like I should send his breeder some more $!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am pretty sure I am " walking away" from a puppy too. She is adorable ( they all are), available at the best time possible, small enough to play with my sammy and a very sought after breed. BUT, the breeder does not instill confidence, does not do the required testing and her breeding dogs/program are kinda sketchy.

·
Registered
Ginger, red toy poodle (Casey, black toy poodle RIP 02/23/2021)
281 Posts
$4,000 for a puppy? For that amount of money, I would be looking at the very top breeders and would have a reason ( conformation, agility prospect etc. ) for wanting a puppy from specific breeder. To me, that is a high price for a good pet puppy. My Sammy is a wonderful poodle. He excels at agility, but would be a failure in the show ring. He is the BEST pet anyone could want. His adoption fee was less than 25% of $4 grand. I feel like I should send his breeder some more $!
Daabor, How long ago did you adopt your puppy? The going price for Tpoos is $3500 thanks to inflation from the pandemic. Everything has gone up in price.

·
Registered
356 Posts
buddyrose, I adopted Sammy in April, 2019. I would be saddened to learn that good ( and great ) breeders are inflating prices to take advantage of the situation. I'm so concerned many pandemic puppies will face upheaval once life returns to normal.

·
Registered
281 Posts
buddyrose, I adopted Sammy in April, 2019. I would be saddened to learn that good ( and great ) breeders are inflating prices to take advantage of the situation. I'm so concerned many pandemic puppies will face upheaval once life returns to normal.
I know. I worry about all those things post pandemic, too. Sometimes inflation has to do with Supply and Demand. When there are a lot of shortages but the demand still exists, prices do go up. Some people take advantage but more often it's a domino effect. Prices going up affect everyone along the line. When things cost you more, you charge more. I'm not going to lie though, I think $3,500 for a puppy, if you're not planning on showing or competing in any way, is a crazy amount of money. I wonder how other people feel?

·
Registered
281 Posts
$1,000 (what Daabor paid for Sammy) is not a normal price for a genetically sound poodle. I think she got very lucky with her boy. :)
Every once in awhile the gods smile down on us and we catch a lucky break. That makes me happy. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.