Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko and I came back in not too long ago from his last potty break, and this lady came walking up to us to walk past us. Sisko lost it and started barking at her, pulling, and jumping. The lady gave us more space. Sisko hasn't gone crazy with with people in a little while. What happened? Was this leash reactivity? Or was it protectiveness?

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Tired? Something unusual about what she was wearing or how she walked? Came up unexpectedly and not seen till the last moment? Residual stress from events earlier in the day? Looked like someone he knew, and wanted to greet or like someone he once had a bad experience with? You inadvertently tightened the leash when you saw her? Some other reason for him briefly reverting to a well-practiced behaviour? There are many possible reasons without jumping straight to worst case scenario - unless it becomes a repeat pattern I would consider it a temporary blip, and keep up the good work of convincing him he is safe with you and can relax.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Hard to say, but it might just be a reaction to something about the woman.

Neo is selectively reactive. He reacts to other dogs on leash that seem to be excited or agitated. If the dog is chill, so is he.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had jumped when I saw her. Sisko has never had a bad experience with anyone, but there was a person when he was little Baby Ko where he didn't really like this one dude. The dude didn't know how to be with dogs. I'm not trying to jump to conclusions or anything. I'm just trying to understand what happened.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In addition to everything already said, I think two steps forward, one step back is pretty normal. But I know it's extra frustrating (and maybe a little embarrassing) when those setbacks involve other people.
I think it's super embarrassing when it involves other people😆 all I can do is be like: he's still in training 😑, he's still in training😐, he's still in training 😒, he's still in training 😓

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
You're getting there, and it sounds like he might have reacted to your reaction, rather than her at all.

Either way, you are getting there. It's always good to pay attention to his reactions to other people or dogs. He may just be a good judge of character :).

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're getting there, and it sounds like he might have reacted to your reaction, rather than her at all.

Either way, you are getting there. It's always good to pay attention to his reactions to other people or dogs. He may just be a good judge of character :).
Hehe:oops:

Yeah, we are!! Okay. I would love if he is a good judge of character 😀

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
If you were startled that would explain his reaction. I find telling the dogs "That made me jump too!" and being relaxed and jolly helps.

My two defend our camp when we are out. It is a camp if I sit down on the ground, especially if I put a bag or coat down. It is also a camp if I sit on a bench and put a jacket or rug down for them to lie on. Walking or standing is not a camp. Nor, it seems, is just sitting down briefly, but any longer than that and they have a deep seated atavistic concept of territory that seems to be inherited from nomadic ancestors!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts