Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!! I’m new here and I could really use some advice!! I have a 2yo poodle toy who mated successfully 3 times! I took her to the vet when she was 21 days and she saw four sacs!!! We took her again at 37 days for a control and the vet only saw one pup!!!
She said it was only one....what happened?? Can there be more pups hiding?

·
Premium Member
23,245 Posts
I agree that this is not the best place for this kind of advice since very few of us are breeders. I do hope you have a mentor working with you. All kinds of things can happen that most of us would have no clue about.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
A newer member had a dog she had rescued, and reason to believe that dog was pregnant (long story, she likely had a phantom pregnancy).

In the course of that thread, another member who is a respected breeder of standards mentioned that ultrasounds are useful only at certain times of the pregnancy. Maybe that's what's happening here, maybe not.

It's maybe not surprising that your vet wasn't more informed, but they don't usually have a lot of pregnancies in their practice.

I'm not sure if this is your first time breeding, but you really do need to connect with someone near to you who has done this a lot, a mentor who can step you thru everything, and possibly even be on hand for the whelping.

Birthing puppies and after care of the pups and momma can become very complicated and life threatening very quickly, especially with toys.

This is a link from that thread. Maybe there'll be some helpful info there for you.

https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelping.htm

Wishing a safe and uneventful whelping for your girl and her babies.

·
Registered
12,516 Posts
Add to the above that pups can be reabsorbed, especially in the early stages of pregnancy - it is quite possible that there were four and is now one. But I agree that breeding needs to support of an experienced mentor, preferably one that can be with you immediately there are any signs that the birth is imminent. And budget for an emergency caesarian, just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts