Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a lovely standard poodle puppy who is six months old. She is a silver and white Parti with a natural, undocked tail. In the future, I believe she has the potential to rack up some titles in rally, obedience, and agility. I am under a no breeding contract and must spay after her first birthday and before her second. Since I have that bit of time that she will be intact, I was considering trying my hand at confirmation with her, as I used to be an AKC Junior Handler with my sheltie (in rally) and English bulldogs and frenchies (in conformation). I am considering attempting to title her in conformation just for fun, but after reviewing UKC standards for parties, I think there are two things that may be a major issue; as her tail is undocked, it is naturally very gay and curls quite a bit which is apparently not ideal, and I can’t really train her to hold it straight lol. The other thing is that she has sort of a half saddle on her back which also seems to be non-ideal. Besides those two things, I believe she fits standards quite well! She doesn’t really have any ticking in her white fur besides on her toes, she seems rather proportionate to me right now (though her rump can stand a bit high before a growth spurt.... at the moment she’s even!) and she has a lovely, light gate! I shall attach a couple pictures at the bottom- please excuse her coat as we have had slightly hurricaney weather for the past week! For those of you who show, do you think I would be wasting my time and money in putting her in conformation? Should I just focus on sports for her? I’d love to get the chance to at least give her a try I’m just about anything, but not if she’ll just be overlooked due to her tail and partial saddle! The last photo was from a couple months ago but better depicts how she naturally carries her tail. Now that the hair is longer it curls over to her back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I encourage everyone to try ukc conformation. Since you have dabbled in AKC juniors you already know how to show and won’t have a problem at all! I don’t know what the ukc parti standard says about markings, but I can’t imagine that the “half saddle” would matter. I have seen dogs in parti ukc that looked 100% solid except for that they did not have good conformation at all so it would make sense to me that they came from parti lines and just had a white toe or something completely invisible to onlookers.

In ukc you do not have to worry nearly as much as you do in AKC. If your dog moves well and you present well I think you will have a good chance. Plus partis in ukc are usually really lacking in type and most of them I would say have really major faults. So if your dog is nice besides the tail, you will still have a great chance against the other partis I would think.

I showed my solid girl in ukc earlier this year (there is a thread on here about it if you are interested in reading.) She is a really nice bitch but her haircut didn’t look good at all, we hadn’t practiced for a long time, and she does not have great pigment on her nose - a major fault. It didn’t even seem to matter at all, as we showed in 3 different shows and took BOB at all 3, and got group placements in all, even going on to get reserve best in show in one of the shows!! She finished her championship in 2 days (the three shows) and had other AKC dogs competing with her. So I tell everyone to just go for it! Even with a major fault, if your dog is the best put together and you are a good team you can do very well there! Good luck and I am happy to answer any questions about our experience!

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I may have to give it a shot since it seems pretty relaxed compared to AKC! I of course don’t expect perfection from her but she seems pretty good to me and it would be fun!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
She looks nice. The curly tail will not be a huge deal unless you are the only one in the ring without a straight tail.

The quality of UKC multi colors varies widely from capable of beating AKC/CKC solids to pure pet quality. I am not sure who is showing in your area so don't know the quality of your competition. I would check with her breeder about your plan and see what they think as sometimes there are reasons they won't want a dog shown.

UKC is often much more laid back then AKC but like any group of people there are super competitors and those there just for fun. Clip requirements are MUCH more lax with most shown in a modified puppy/sporting clip.

AND if you are planning on doing performance anyway check out the UKC Total Dog concept. Grin if you can qualify in performance AND win a best female or above in the same show you can often earn a Total Dog title. I have one on my Jazz but the young dogs are still learning performance sports.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight, spindledreams! I do know that there are other partis in my area, as I’m frequently asked if she’s of their line at the pet store. I’m not sure what those dogs do, though! I also know that 99% of her breeder’s pups are sold as pets / performance simply to eliminate chances of potential doodles or poodles that would result in lower quality health or temperament that she works very hard to achieve in her dogs, so there’s no specific reason for this pup to not show just for fun ☺. It is very tempting to work on her performance skills and plan for a couple big show days within the next six months or so just to see how she does, though we shall have to find a way to work on increasing focus around other dogs!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
There is no DQ for clips in UKC but most folks agree leave the pony doodle, dutch, miami, etc at home.

The RECOMMENDED clips are Puppy clip (any age can wear this), Sporting clip (officially this has hair no more than 1 inch long on the body) English Saddle and Continental. Cords are allowed.

Most often seen clips are:
  • Modified sporting with longer hair on the body but trimmed to that shape.
  • German styles with short but not totally shaved ears
  • Continentals ranging in length from short HCCs to full blown big hair.
You may also see the Scandinavian aka Puppy pants or Second Puppy clip and English Saddle but these are not common. And as mentioned Cords are allowed but again are not very common.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
OH and something to remember in UKC Standard Poodles are shown in the Gun dog group while Toy and Miniature are shown in the Companion dog group. Multi-colors compete in separate classes from the solids and the Multi-color and Solid color BOB both go to Group. For showing only the multi-colors and solids are treated as different breeds so you have Multi-color Standard Poodle, Standard Poodle, Multi-color Poodle (variety toy or mini) Poodle (variety toy or mini)

Reactions: Streetcar
1 - 11 of 11 Posts