Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my gosh... Saleen is going into heat for the first time. :doh: gross! Without being to graphic I can say that she is HUGE back there, no color yet I've checked several times. I haven't spayed her yet, obviously, I wanted to wait but not because I had any intentions to EVER breed her. I wanted to grow her out to see what she would look like as an adult and then see if I could get her UKC CH just for something different to do because I've never shown with UKC and her sire is a CH. Anyway that's fallen by the wayside for one and two while I LOVE what I see in her I can see things that I perhaps don't love and have some questions about her that have yet to be fully answered and I've never posted them here since I don't want a whole thread focused on tearing apart my dog. Now though I am wondering to myself what I was thinking in waiting, and why I thought UKC competition was worth it. Yuck lol. The sight of Saleen's rear end really caught John's attention this evening since her hair is so short back there now there is just no missing it. I wish I had a picture of his face! When it starts doing it's thing it's going to really gross him out. A little secret - shhh don't tell, but my hubby is kind of a priss lol, very Metro. Maybe it is my newly weak tummy but thinking about it is kind of grossing me out too. It's not like the tibbies or the IG's being in season her's is really HUGE and obvious. It looks like it might fall off or explode. With the tibs you really have to keep track of the time and keep an eye out since you can't always see things back there. Whats kind of annoying is that Wonder was in a few months ago and I thought she had brought Saleen in then but was just to sick to be flipping a spoo over and checking her parts. No flipping reuired I now realize, I can see everything I need from about 3 feet away. Wonder goes and visits my mom during her cycle to make double sure we don't do a repeat breeding with her and Howie so Howie shifted his attention to Saleen. I can't do that with Saleen though, my mom wouldn't be able to handle a larger dog plus the tibbies. I don;t know why but I guess I just didn't realize how obvious she would be though I should know better she is a much larger dog by after all. Just didn't think about it.

Anyway, Howie is extra happy to see Saleen now, I've been watching her closely for several days now because he's shown more and more interest. Now he is glued to her rear if I let don't step in and tell him to leave it. Poor guy. Saleen doesn't notice him, which is really funny. She keeps right on walking, or right on drinking water, or playing with a toy or whatever she's up to at the time. He is an ambitious little guy and the fact that he cannot come even close to reaching his goal, his little puppy maker hits right above her hock at the best of times, it doesn't deter him. Obviously they don't get any alone time, just in case. We;ve been joking all night that Tibetan Poodles or Tootle Spaniels might just be the next big designer breed but they'd be born about the same time as Nicholas and nobody wants that. Howie will just have to wait till next time I guess.... just kidding by the way. I sure don't want Saleen sized dogs that shed or Howie sized dogs that matt!!! Ugh.

On the bright side hubby is for once glad that we have a standard poodle instead of the mini he wishes we had. We'd have to worry more with a mini because he would likely be able to get the job done there and that would be bad.

I need to measure her and see about maybe getting her some cute little fancy pants to make sure she doesn't make a mess. I can only imagine it would be a bigger mess than Wonder;s ever even thought of making, though Wonder is a very clean dog - it would be easy to miss the fact that she was in heat at all if you didn't pay attention. There is almost no blood with her. Maybe she will share that little secret with Saleen ? That would be nice.

·
Registered
646 Posts
pull ups work great just cut a hole for the tail. You would be able to use them again some day as well.
I had an entire package I could have sent you LOL
For Mandys heat I think I only used 8 if that.
Forget what size I used but Mandy is only just over 30 lbs and had no problem fitting her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used pull-ups and diaper covers. I have found that disper covers with a liner/pad work great, I keep pull-ups for when I'm pressed for time, lazy, etc.
If you sew at all, find a free pattern online and modify it for width and length. They can be made in pull-on style or velcro. For the tail hole, it can be banded or serged.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
So you think she would swallow a truck WP :pound:

Yes, just put knickers on her, stops all the mess and looking at how gross they look.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lol!!! I am SO glad I have boys. Silly question here, but if she has panties on how does she do her cleaning and go potty? I assume you would take them off when she goes outside but I've heard so many stories of a dog hopping the fence and getting things done pretty quickly. Also, a friend of mine had a 80lb rot female and a 2 lb chi male...and now they have a 30lb chi-rot. Its amazing what dogs can do if they are determined.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have both tooddler pants and designer pants for my girls. Even daddy changes them and takes them off/on when the girls go out potty to include a belly band for my little boy.
This is Bindi in the Toddler pants which I sewed an extra padding of baby wash cloth into them.

These are the designer pants and they have a removable skirt. I like them more then the toddler pants cause they are easier to put on and take off and they have a plastic lining. Also allows them to clean themselves easier.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We don't have panties for her yet, she just started bleeding yeterday. Yeah siv it's horrid!! It looks soooo huge. John spotted it from across the backyard yesterday, it's even bigger now. Bleh. I am glad that doesn't happen to me, looks uncomfortable.

Howie has a belly band that he is wearing because now would be the time that he would decide to mark in the house to show how manly he is. It has the added benifit of being a bit of a safety buffer and when we get panties in Saleen's size (bummer than Wonder's don't fit) that will be another level of safety at least for a couple of days. After that we'll have to seperate both of them entirely. Right now they don't have to be. She's not ready so he's not paying her tooooo much attention, but it won't be long. I might try the pull ups, thats a good idea. Never thought of that.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What about men's boxer briefs flipped backwards with a maxi pad in them? Already has a hole for the tail and elastic...

They even sell little boys boxer briefs, so finding a size to fit her shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about men's boxer briefs flipped backwards with a maxi pad in them? Already has a hole for the tail and elastic...

They even sell little boys boxer briefs, so finding a size to fit her shouldn't be a problem.
*eye balls hubby* wonder if he would give me pair to try out. Wonder if I could steal a pair. I'm thinking he;s going to be upset, he's rather posessive of his clothes. Won't even let me do his laundry.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
LOL... Wonder, I thought I was going to pee my pants reading your post. I have to say, when Grace came into heat a few months ago, I was AMAZED at how big and OBVIOUS her part was!!! Now, I have had Dobies and Britts in heat but NEVER saw them THAT LARGE!!! So, I completely understand. But, my gosh, your post made me laugh, I even had to read some of it to my husband who also laughed!

Yeah, I would get panties for her. After Deb's accident with Taffy, and since they do get soooo large behind and bleed a bit, and I allow them on the couch, I bought panties for my girls to wear when the time comes. (Reminds me, Grace is due pretty soon!! Those panties are going to come in handy )

Ohhh, and be aware... Wonder may be little but if he gets Saleen while she is laying down... he can definitely breed her! :scared:

Here are a couple of pics of Grace trying out her new panties. I LOVE them because they are snug enough and the hole for the tail ONLY is large enough for the tail so no gaping at all. Another brand we looked at and tried on her, the tail hole was so large it sagged and part of her privates showed! :doh:

Isn't she so cute with them on? LOL She didn't know what to make of this odd thing on her and stood with her legs spread far apart for a while before she finally decided to lay down...lol.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts