Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or do you lose respect for people who consistently let their dogs off leash when they have zero control over them? We live near a cute and friendly doodle puppy who was about 20 lbs when the family first moved into our neighborhood a few months ago. Now he's 45 lbs and is still a bouncy crazy puppy, but his owners don't take any responsibility for him. He's charged out into the street after Jessie more times than I can count, and now he is 4x her size. Does he mean any harm? Absolutely not- but as he gets bigger the chance of him hurting her by accident goes up. Not to mention his safety is in jeopardy. Now I have to be the bad guy and report them to the HOA since they haven't done anything to curb this behavior.

Why don't people care enough about their pets to see this is a problem?? Grrr. I swear some people have blinders on that are so strong that they literally can't see that their actions ALWAYS impact others. Always. Everything you do impacts more than just you one way or another, that's just a fact no one can escape.

Anyway, here's a cute Jessie picture reward for reading my rant ;)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Oh, I definitely get what you are saying. Sometimes dogs can be leashed and still be out of control, but here are a few of my stories:

We actually had a dog (about a month ago) that was off his or her leash jump over our flower box to go after one of our dogs. Shocked the person standing with one of our dogs on the porch who had just walked outside to take him to the bathroom. Fortunately, this person reacted quickly and picked up the dog and got inside quickly. The owner of the dog was chasing after it and wasn't there immediately, and the dog took off. So the owner had no control over this dog at all. My little guy is 8 pounds, so fortunately he was okay.

A while back (when I lived somewhere else) I was walking my dog past a business and the door was propped open. Out walks this pitbull and it just started following us. The owner yelled for it, but that made no difference, the dog just kept following. I stayed calm and picked up my dog, waited until the irresponsible owner showed up to get their dog. Miracle doesn't always react well to dogs being in her face so it worries me when dogs approach her.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The owner yelled for it, but that made no difference
Yup. I can maybe understand this happening once if you think you have your dog trained and realize too late that more work is needed. I'm happy to give people the benefit of the doubt. I personally am too much of a chicken to let Jessie off leash in an unfenced area because I would be horrified if she made anyone or their pets uncomfortable, or if was a danger to herself. But repeatedly allowing this behavior? I had to corral the offending puppy this morning- I'm sure he thought his owner was playing a fun game of keep away and kept bouncing away when the owner lunged at him. I have exactly 5 months experience as a dog owner, but I knew enough to keep still and let the puppy approach me out of curiosity so I could grab his collar instead of exciting him further with sudden energetic action.

I'm glad your dog wasn't hurt by either interaction!!

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Too many people actually are clueless about training and what the process really entails. We have people in our neighborhood who were so proud that their GSD had completed puppy K at a chain big box pet store. They thought that meant the dog was trained for life, uh not! That dog used to harass Lily so badly by barking from their picture window that she didn't want to walk past the house. I built up her confidence for it and showed her that I had her back in all things near this house. Eventually she sent enough calming signals that the dog stopped the barking. Lily and I trained that dog, not the owners.

Reactions: Dogs4Life
1 - 4 of 4 Posts