Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh* I have been seriously lax with the girls lately and frankly so has John. Yesterday I was REALLY bad and stayed on my feet all day grooming a dog that I had promised to just lightly touch up from a a chair only. That was the condition on which I was allowed to continue grooming after all. I'm sure John will tell on me lol. I was soooo tired and startingt o get sore but I insisted I could cook dinner. So I got some hamburger out of the fridge to see what I could fix for dinner and then got distracted, I am so easily distracted these days, and forgot about the little roll sitting in a bowl on the counter. John told me to sit down for a minute and a minute turned into me falling asleep for two hours. John meanwhile left the poodles loose in the house while he was in the garage working on something. The hamburger roll is STILL missing, plastic and all... Not that I would have eaten it probably anyhow after leaving it out like that, I am super paranoid about that kind of thing, but still I'd like to know where it is. I gathered all the dogs together and told them that there was a nice cookie reward for any information leading to the recovery of at the very least the packaging of the meat. So far none has been forthcoming. We've looked everywhere too and even resorted to checking teeth to see if any of the wrapper was perhaps stuck between a tooth. Mostly I was worried the wrap would make somebody ill. Nothing, it's been 24 hours and we still can't find any sign of it. I figured whoever the culprit (and I vote for Saleen personally) was would have an upset tummy in the morning, nope. It would be almost funny except that little things get to me lately and it really upset me last night.
I've even let the big girls begin getting away with things like dashing out the backdoor when I let them out or jumping up on the counter while I'm making their dog bowls, normally they have to sit and wait or go in their kennels. They are even started to ignore the fact that they are supposed to move out of your way when you walk. Now they just sort of mill around your feet and you kind of have to wade through and hope they don't trip you or step to hard on your feet. Our manners are going down the drain though we ARE getting REALLY pretty good at leaving a baby doll alone and not jumping on the crib, which we've been working on.

In addition to that Poor Jazz and Saleen are filthy. They used to be bathed and groomed every 7 -10 days sometimes every 14 if I was extra busy. It's been more than a month for Saleen and almost a month for Jazz. I haven't even clipped faces so they are furry and icky. It's been raining here almost every day since thanksgiving which really bites so they've been dirty and wet pretty much daily. I am ever so thankful that they have NO problems going out in the yard in the rain, Saleen even likes to play in puddles, because a spoo mess is a lot bigger of a deal than it is if one of the tibbies has an accident in the house.

I keep telling myself I'm going to wash the dogs today. Then the next day it's I need to take a minute to brush Saleen. Then the next day it's yuck you're face needs to be clipped I'll do that in a minute... hahaha you get the idea. Jazz I am really lucky, she's just a bit dirty her coat doesnt require much care to stay tangle free even when it's really long, which at the moment it isn't. The tibbies need to be brushed more frequently than Jazz does really which is ironic in a way. I found a mat behind Wonder's ear yesterday and cried for an hour until John clipped it out. Saleen on the other hand has that in between puppy and adult coat thats still pretty soft but getting some "wire" to it's texture so getting easier to scissor. Much harder to maintain than Jazz. I don't even remember when I brushed Saleen last... *gasp*
It was gloomy outside again today and I REALLY overdid it activity wise yesterday so I spent all day in my PJ's on the couch paying for not resting yesterday like I was supposed to. All the dogs of course want to be the lucky one who gets to sit on what is left of my lap. Jazz usually squishes Wonder for the lap position since she's so much larger. Saleen has reccently developed an interest in laying on the couch, she's an on the floor type dog normally, and now wants to join in the shoving match for lap time. The way the poodles see it is if I'm stretched out then that means they can lay anywhere on me and Jazz has a habit of trying to mash Nicholas with her feet and Saleen seems determined to kill us both by jumping right into my middle from a run. She doesn't understand the concept of jump on the couch FIRST and then try and get in mommy's lap lol. Anyway so for the first time ever saleen beat out Jazz for the right to cuddle next to me and as I'm running my fingers through her hair I'm noticing more and more how yucky her coat is getting and how it is starting to mat :( I felt down one of her back legs and wanted to cry, it's not that it's just awful matted to the skin but it's bad enough that I doubt I'll be brushing it out even though I probably could. A good friend mine talked me into letting her come over and help me with the poodles and was supposed to come by today and groom the girls for me but she's postponing till tomorrow. I almost don't want to let her see Saleen or any of my dogs dirty and matted like a gross every three month customer's might be. Afterall, I kind of taught this person to groom and definitly taught her a lot of what she knows about scissoring and poodle coats and correct breed styling. I'm mortified and tried to get John to put Saleen up on the table for me tonight so I could do it or at least some of it, and then let my friend do Jazz. He pushed me back into bed instead, and not for any fun reasons since I don't think we're allowed to do that - I'll have to ask Monday hahaha just to see him turn red in the doc's office. I guess I'll have to let Saleen be clipped down. I've been putting it off because I've wanted to grow her out for some more creative type styles. That will have to wait though. Kinda bummed out about it because haha I guess it's obvious how much fun I have with long poodle hair, even if saleen's isn't yet light enough to dye. It will be.

I don't dare post pictures of what the monsters look like and they are by the way acting like monsters the both of them. Jazz still looks goofy in whats left of the messed up sweetheart clip I gave her but at least it's growing out. Saleen looks like a stray... I guess it's a good thing I'm not allowed to go tromping around the neighborhood with her what on earth would the neighbors think? They've always seen them fluffy and pretty in the past.

It's just kind of sad and a little bit comical that the anal groomer/trainer who doesn't usually let her crew put a toenail out of line has let her four sweet angles becomes bratty strinky beasts and even allowed them to look a little beastly. John is shaking his head at me right now in fact LoL. He just walked back here and realized I'm not in bed where he put me but in my office instead. LoL.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Awww you poor thing if I was closer I would come and help you for sure.. Take it easy and rest up this will soon pass.:)
Oh and BTW I had a spoo eat a whole sirloin steak wrapper styrofoam and the whole deal once. (Hubby tried to blame the setter ) No one ever confessed so Dunno I would not hold out a whole lot of hope :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Well, hair DOES grow back, and if the dogs are being harder to maintain because of your condition maybe you should just clip the poodles down? That way you can still have the tibbies brushed out since you show them and I imagine brushing them is easier, and you can focus on your pregnancy, then your baby without having to worry about the spoos for a bit until things calm down.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually the tibs are a "no groom" breed for the most part and are suposed to be shown in their natural state. Wonder gets tangles and matts behind the ears because Howie chews on her ears, I am forever scolding him.

saleen will be better off in a short trim that can grow out over the next few months. I think a big part of whats bothering me is having somebody else do it even though I trust my friend and know saleen will be fine. It's amazing what ideas get stuck in my head and bother me. LoL. As much as I truely HATE leaving poms on poodles I am sooo attached to how nicely the back of Saleen's hocks are comming, Im just now being able to flair them out for that more stylist look, I'm thinking I might have to insist on keeping her in a miami. Silly how attached one can become to hair which yes does grow back. Most of the time it grows faster than you expect it too :p I tell my clients who have to have their dog shaved down not to worry it will grow faster than you'll probably like and before you know it it'll be getting long.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't worry, It is only hair after all. Growing a nice healthy baby is a good reason to have them in a shorter clip just so you won't have to stress about it. After the critter is born you may enjoy the shorter doos for a short while as well. Spoos thankfully have a long life span so having them in a short clip for 6+ months will seem like a blip in the long run. I understand the attachment to their hair though, I'm the same way. I know they will be beautiful even if they're naked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts