Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 9 years old toy poodle.
After feeding her with Acana for many years, i saw she is a bit strugling lately with the large kibble size, so i'm looking for a different food with a smaller kibble size.
She is also allergic to chicken and turkey.

Currently i have two contenders:

N&D Pumpking codfish and orange:

https://www.farmina.com/us/dog-food/n&d-pumpkin-grain-free-canine/394-codfish-&-orange-adult-mini.html

Nutram T28:
T28 Nutram Total Grain-Free<sup>®</sup> Trout & Salmon Meal Dog Food | Trout and Salmon Meal Recipe

What do you recommend from these two options?

Thank you,

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feed Farmina and like it. It was recommended by friend who owns a natural dogfood store. My toy does not have allergies so I switch up the proteins.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Both the foods you mention are good and rate high! I personally change my girls kibble with almost every bag so I've tried many......kibble is just a part of her diet! I do tend to stay away from kibble with anything 'chicken' in it as she had itchy feet in the past from chicken based kibble......but tolerates raw chicken, so who knows, but I stay away from it just in case LOL!

Only Natural Pet has a really good 'Just Fish Feast' kibble and also a Lamb & Cod dehydrated food called 'MaxMeat Air Dried' Molly absolutely loves this food

I've also used the canned Zignature Limited Ingredient canned foods. They have some great novel protein canned foods like Kangaroo, Goat, Catfish, Trout & Salmon, Whitefish,Duck, and a few more! Molly loved them all ! These are all single protein too!
Both these brands have excellent ratings too!

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
All our dogs are on Wellness Core. It comes in two sizes of kibble. Originally I gave the two big dogs get the large size and the two little ones the small size. Then one day I neglected to buy enough of the small size. That's when I found out that the nearly toothless Chihuahua did just fine with the larger size kibble! It certainly makes things easier to have just one kind of kibble!

In the mornings they get crumbled bacon and shredded cheese added. At night they get a spoonful of Wellness canned meat and some pumpkin. The two big dogs get some pro-biotics because they tend to have soft stools. The lab also gets some tablets to prevent gas.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The lab also gets some tablets to prevent gas.
Curious to know what prevents gas for your lab. I am not asking for my Spoo, because he has only had gas once in his life, but wondering what it is and if there is a human equivalent for myself! Now I am embarrassed.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Curious to know what prevents gas for your lab. I am not asking for my Spoo, because he has only had gas once in his life, but wondering what it is and if there is a human equivalent for myself! Now I am embarrassed.
For people, use Beano. We keep a bottle of it in the cupboard.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Trudog brand

Got an email about Trudog brand. Below are the ingredients. Has anyone heard of them? To me, and I am in no way an expert on dog food, it seems to be only protein and not balanced. Please, thoughts?

Crude Protein, min.........41.00%
Crude Fat, min.............28.00%
Crude Fiber, max............4.00%
Moisture, max...............5.00%
Calories....................119 kcal/cup
Ingredients: Beef, beef tripe, beef lung, ground beef bone, beef liver, beef heart, beef kidney, beef blood, beef fat, herring oil (natural source of OMEGA oils and Vitamin D), mixed tocopherols (natural antioxidant), d-alpha tocopherol (natural Vitamin E)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Totally newbie here. Sorry if out of topic. Dry food vs raw food, which one is the best to feed since puppy? I guess maybe raw food kind of pricey to maintain every day.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've been happy with freeze dried raw for my toy. Yes, it's expensive. But he only has about 2.5 patties or nuggets a day. If you have a larger dog you can go broke buying. Ours only comes to a bit more than $1 a day.

My vet said our pup was the picture of health. He has a thick shiny coat and is maintaining his weight well. He also poops less because the food is almost entirely absorbed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts