Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 yr old Standard female that is black with silver accents on muzzle and and back of ears, pretty girl. My female had to stay with my sister in law for several months, be had a stage 5 hurricane where I live. During the time she was with my sister in law she got snake bit, my female is a tough girl that is always looking for something to hunt. The snake was non-venomous, but she went to the vet and got allergy and antibiotic meds, recovered fine. Now she has to dark black spots where the snake bit here, I have never seen anything like it.

My sister-in law, ran to my dog just as quickly as she heard her barking at something, by then the snake already bit. They live in the country, have a great home for dogs, take care of there dogs and mine, just something that happened. Did not want anyone thinking she was not being taken care of.

Anyone seen anything like the two marks?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If the snake bit her muzzle that would explain the dots. Injuries to the skin usually cause the hair in the injured area to become dark for awhile. I have seen this in many dogs - not just in poodles.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Yes on Johanna's statement. Anytime my very light apricot female got an injury that broke the skin, her hair would grow back almost red, and then gradually fade to cream. Our silver will get black flecks that seem to take forever to fade to silver. My white male will get cream injury spots, that fade to white. I know you did not ask about this, but if a club offers snake aversion training you should really think about taking your dog. Once a dog has fought with a snake, they will keep doing it, and the next snake might be venomous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes on Johanna's statement. Anytime my very light apricot female got an injury that broke the skin, her hair would grow back almost red, and then gradually fade to cream. Our silver will get black flecks that seem to take forever to fade to silver. My white male will get cream injury spots, that fade to white. I know you did not ask about this, but if a club offers snake aversion training you should really think about taking your dog. Once a dog has fought with a snake, they will keep doing it, and the next snake might be venomous.
Thank you, I agree completely. I want to get her training for this, she will go after anything and everything. I am very concerned that she is going to get hurt. She is not dainty, or graceful, she thinks she is a hunting dog. I am trying with no luck to stop her, but she keeps bringing in moles, she is digging the yard up looking for them. She knows that she is not suppose to be doing it, all I have to say is " Cricket, what am I going to find when I go outside to the yard? she will jump up from beside me and go lay in her bed with her head down. She is smart, but just can't resist chasing and attacking things she shouldn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts