Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have one 2 year old male standard poodle. He is also a service dog. He is very spoiled and in love with us. He gets very upset (mad) when we leave him home. He is very active and doesn't have opportunities to play with other dogs. We are thinking about getting a one year old female standard.
Do standards generally prefer to share the house and have the company of another dog or be the only dog in the house?

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
how is he in general with other dogs? if you bring another dog into the house (a friend's or neighbor's) how does he handle that? dogs do differ. it's not unusual to find rehome ads stating "prefers" or "must be" only dog. but then, it's also important to remember that rehomes are not necessarily a majority, esp. among poodles.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It depends on the individual dogs. Poodles love to play, so I would think that you should be able to introduce a new dog and it will be appreciated by your present dog (eventually), especially since you are talking about a male and a female.

When I've introduced a new dog, I try to have the first meeting in a neutral space, not bring the new kid into the old kid's territory first thing. In the house, I keep the new dog gated in an area where my other dogs can check out the newbey thru the gate. I may have to separate them for several days, until everybody accepts that the new guy is here to stay. If they seem OK, I will put the new dog and one of my dogs together loose in the yard. If I think there might be problems, I let them drag leashes. If you proceed gradually with caution and common sense, it should be OK in the long run. 2 Poodles should be easier to introduce than my Scotties (a dog aggressive breed by nature).

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was raised with a trainer for a year with lots of other dogs and fine. Since he's been with us, he's been the only dog. When we go to Petsmart, he is at his worst. He is pulling and whining and it seems like he wants to play. If other dogs approach me without my consent he can get protective. If I am being nice to the other dog he is fine. We went to a dog park once and he was a little stand offish (nervous). He did a little socializing with the one standard who was there (it's the only dog he went near, lol) for a half hour. He hasn't had a real play opprtunity with one dog since we have had him but when dogs pass by he seems very interested. He does seem bored at times.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
he sounds like he'd do okay. my male lowchen was very standoffish - until i brought a female lowchen into the house. she thought he was dirt under her feet, but he adored her. dogs do tend to recognize their own breed. the only time i saw my male approach other dogs in public (at the park) to solicit play was when someone brought in another lowchen. that's when i knew a second lowchen would be the best choice.

·
3,110 Posts
We have one 2 year old male standard poodle. He is also a service dog. He is very spoiled and in love with us. He gets very upset (mad) when we leave him home. He is very active and doesn't have opportunities to play with other dogs. We are thinking about getting a one year old female standard.
Do standards generally prefer to share the house and have the company of another dog or be the only dog in the house?

I think after a period of adjustments, it should be fine. Just like with any dog who has been the only one, it takes a little bit of time to get used to another dog in the home. Personally, I think it's good that you're getting a female instead of a male. For a dog who is not used to being around other dogs, the transition might be easier, if it were a female.

·
Registered
464 Posts
We got another dog to keep Mochi company when she was alone (well, partly). And it really helped Mochi. She used to yelp, yodel, cry and bark when left alone, whether for 10min or 6hrs, but now she is quiet the whole time despite them each being in a separate crate. She loves our 2nd mpoo and they have a ball together.

One problem - the new pup hates when we leave and yelps and screeches and barks until we've been gone for at least 10min or longer.

If we leave them loose in the house, they both seem to handle it much better and just sit in the front windows waiting for us to come back, but we've never left them loose for more than 30min yet...

Just something to consider. :)

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
you have a point, tp. which reminds me that i should point out my dog was never "protective" around other dogs. until i got the female. lol. then he would tell other dogs to stay away or else. so that kind of thing could happen, too.

Reactions: Tiny Poodles

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I think that standards generally prefer to live with another dog. I love having 2 (or 3) dogs. They form their own relationship and it is fun to see how they interact with each other. With one 2 year old who has already bonded with you, this is a great time to add a new dog. Only 2 questions or hesitations: (1) I know nothing about service dogs and how having 2 might affect the tasks that you need to have done for you, and (2) Do you have some way of finding a one year old female? In most areas of the US, it is extremely difficult to find a young adult standard poodle. Could you consider a puppy?

I really hope this will work out for you. Sounds like it could be a great thing for both you and Auggie.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that standards generally prefer to live with another dog. I love having 2 (or 3) dogs. They form their own relationship and it is fun to see how they interact with each other. With one 2 year old who has already bonded with you, this is a great time to add a new dog. Only 2 questions or hesitations: (1) I know nothing about service dogs and how having 2 might affect the tasks that you need to have done for you, and (2) Do you have some way of finding a one year old female? In most areas of the US, it is extremely difficult to find a young adult standard poodle. Could you consider a puppy?

I really hope this will work out for you. Sounds like it could be a great thing for both you and Auggie.
We don't think it will affect his tasks(get the medical bag, get the remote, pull the laundry leash, turn on light, open the door). He loves to do tasks. His trainer believes the new poodle will learn from him.
He is 2.3 and we did find a 9mo female.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have only females, and bringing in a new one never effected the temperament or actions of the others and I have 3 but are tp not sp. I have done this many times over, takes a little while for them to get to know each other and I keep them separated for a couple of weeks when alone

·
Registered
760 Posts
My personal preference for getting a second dog is A. making sure the first dog is pretty solid with their training, and B. mako sing sure I'm getting a second dog because I want one, not because I think it will fix any issues I'm having with my existing dog. If you have any behavioral issues, getting another dog is generally not going to solve that problem. I'm not saying don't get a second dog, but if his issues are misbehaving in public around other dogs, another dog is not necessarily going to help with that. I don't think you should necessarily expect a second dog to change any of the behaviors you've mentioned. He may be very happy to have another dog at home, but it sounds like maybe he needs some more training when out in public. Have you tried any classes with other dogs or a responsible dog daycare for more socializing with other dogs to see if that helps?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I really over thought the idea of a second poodle, but it's the best decision for us. Abbey was happy before but her life is so much fuller now, Dolly has settled in with ease and I couldn't imagine being without her. Your circumstances are very different though, and I have no idea how a second dog may effect the work of a service dog. You are considering all aspects of a second dog, and that's a good thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
We don't think it will affect his tasks(get the medical bag, get the remote, pull the laundry leash, turn on light, open the door). He loves to do tasks. His trainer believes the new poodle will learn from him.
He is 2.3 and we did find a 9mo female.
Wow! A 9 month old female sounds fabulous. My gut feeling is to go for it!

One bit of advice, is to not put too much weight on your dog's initial reaction to the newcomer. It will take him several days or weeks to adjust. But in the long run, I would be very surprised if both dogs did not benefit from having a second dog in the house for companionship and play.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would look into play groups before bringing another dog into the home. The reason being you are not tied down with a service because you can take him anywhere. Once you add another dog to your home you must find care for that animal when you are out and about for long periods or overnights. Check local feed stores and dog training facilities and inquire about play groups they are usually monitored by a trainer. Often they have wine/beer or snacks. Its a chance for the people to socialize as well. Good luck.
Edit to add: Why do you leave the dog at home if you need a service dog?
Please don't misunderstand me I am not trying to be contrary I have had a service dog and am training two more so I am surprised that your dog would be alone in the first place. Also your dog should be ROCK SOLID in the petstore if this is not the case you should bring him back to the original trainer to complete that part of his training. He shouldn't have passed testing if he is reacting to other dogs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Check local feed stores and dog training facilities and inquire about play groups they are usually monitored by a trainer. Often they have wine/beer or snacks. Its a chance for the people to socialize as well.
Sorry to go off topic....but are you telling me there are places I can go to drink wine and eat snacks while my dog plays with other dogs, all while being supervised by someone who knows what they're doing?!? I've never even heard of such a thing! Where do I find such a magical event?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sorry to go off topic....but are you telling me there are places I can go to drink wine and eat snacks while my dog plays with other dogs, all while being supervised by someone who knows what they're doing?!? I've never even heard of such a thing! Where do I find such a magical event?
Yes!!! Sounds like a real great place for sure!!! :). I'd love a gathering like that!!!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would look into play groups before bringing another dog into the home. The reason being you are not tied down with a service because you can take him anywhere. Once you add another dog to your home you must find care for that animal when you are out and about for long periods or overnights. Check local feed stores and dog training facilities and inquire about play groups they are usually monitored by a trainer. Often they have wine/beer or snacks. Its a chance for the people to socialize as well. Good luck.
Edit to add: Why do you leave the dog at home if you need a service dog?
Please don't misunderstand me I am not trying to be contrary I have had a service dog and am training two more so I am surprised that your dog would be alone in the first place. Also your dog should be ROCK SOLID in the petstore if this is not the case you should bring him back to the original trainer to complete that part of his training. He shouldn't have passed testing if he is reacting to other dogs.

He did not do this when he came to us from training. This is something that has started, we think because he gets bored and lonely.
I have a service dog because I have MS. I have been doing great recently and when I do feel great I don't need the mobility assistance. When I do, I take him with me. He certainly can be a help with walking support but if I'm walking and feeling fine it slows me down to take him. I take it on a day by day basis. The female will likely be trained in the future as a service dog too but it's too soon to know. We want to do agility for fun with both of them. We typically go to dog friendly places to eat so having another dog should not affect that. It could affect other things that we have discussed. There are always pros and cons to everything. We knew the day we got AUGUST, our black standard that we would one day get a white female, JUNE. We knew it would happen but thought it would be when he was 3-4. With his obvious boredom and loneliness we think it may be better not to wait. And it just so happens that 9mo old female is avialble. I'm scared to pass it up because that is hard to find.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts