Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ew. I failed to get him out to potty after a really great playtime and a day of liberal kibble because he seemed hungry today.
So. It got quiet after I had left him in his ex pen alone for about 1 minute. I was horrified to see him nibbling on his poo. Ugh.
Quickly closed him in his kennel and STERILIZED the floorspace after picking it all up. I mean. I mopped several times with a combo of water, vinegar, and a little rubbing alcohol. Dried thoroughly before puppy was allowed back out.
Took him outside, he peed after a lot of horseplay.
This pup I have had literally for 5 days, he will be 9 weeks old in 2 more days. So he's really new. He gets kibble. I did give a tiny bit of peanut butter day before yesterday in his kong.
Read that adding canned pumpkin is a good idea, picking up stools immediately after potty time, keeping pup on leash, and teaching leave it.
My question is, how much pumpkin do i feed each day? He's just less than 10 lbs. Concerned that if I add pumpkin his poops will soften up or worse, diarrhea. That would be so bad. His poops right now seem to be a good healthy density and I don't want to wreck that.
Help, help. Mommy needs a break. Please give me all your best advice on this. I'm gonna let my husband dog-sit while I go to work for awhile. Sorry for this gross topic. I am at a loss.
Thanks.
Leslie

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
For a pup that size I would say maybe a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin). Interestingly I find pumpkin to just even out both potential problems with bowel movements. It will not do anything related to coprophagia (which many dogs will go through phases of). Since your pup is so young and you need to be doing due diligence on house breaking you should not allow too much freedom indoors (especially not after play or eating). Don't free feed such a young puppy as you will then have a hard time predicting when he will need to void himself. Instead you need to have a very good schedule for: feeding then outside for potty; playing then outside for potty; napping then outside for potty; wake up in the morning then outside for potty.........

The other thing about free feeding a young puppy is that if they overeat the food will go straight through them and you will end up with diarrhea. Measure your pup's daily food and divide it in three parts for three meals, keeping a small reserve of the total for training treats.

Cleaning poo so there is none to be had is sufficient to break most dogs of the habit of eating it.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Well that stuff will happen s you are potty training your pup, really no big deal get yourself some enzyme cleaner, like Natures Miracle. Feed him on a schedule 2-3x a day whichever fits your schedule. Mine ate 2x a day . Don't over treat or use some of the kibble as a treat. You will learn his schedule in how fast the food goes thru and his need to eliminate. My schedule was and pretty much is 6am carry out on leash to potty area. Come in eat, and play with 20 minutes he would need to go again. after that some crate or xpen time. Always play a minute before its bedtime so he doesn't associate that he has to go into his crate right after potty. I always waited just a few minutes. At that age I was outside on the hour, then 2, then 3 until I had a good idea of when he would need to go out. Still today we go out at 6 am he p & poos comes in eats but now he doesn't need to go again for about 2-3 hours but he is a year old now. Then we walk and he goes again after that he is good till 1, then 5 after eating sometime he needs to pee before and after about an hour 5:30-6 before it gets to dark we go for another walk. Then he is good until bed, it was 8:30 but now 9. Anyhow that is how I managed it. We really made had 2 accidents when I didn't know he was barking at me because he was telling me to take him back out. And it also depends on how much he runs around the more exercise the more frequent he needs to go.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Don’t free feed. Clesn up after each stool and keep him from touching it.

Some foods have a strong appealing smell and don’t get perfectly digested so they still smell when coming out. And dogs will eat them. So you might want to look at what you are feeding him and change it if you think it might help.

Many, many dogs do this, it’s really no big deal. It should pass if you keep the habit from settling in.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My dog has never done the poo eating thing. I am not sure why, but possible it helped to house break him using the tethering method that I did. Basically I kept his leash tied around my waist and got to know his every subtle signal for when he was ready to go pee, or poo. And then took him out right away. And then cleaned it up right away so there was no chance for him to even investigate.

House training takes a lot of time and patience, including a lot of taking them outside to where you want them to go :)

I found this link, and although it was written for training labs, the same principal applies. It is what I did.
https://www.labradortraininghq.com/labrador-training/umbilical-cord-house-training/

·
Registered
331 Posts
For dogs that eat their own poo:
Undigested food in the poop makes it a very tempting treat, so that’s the first thing to address if happening.
If that’s not an issue then I suggest accompanying the dog (on leash) for every potty trip and paying generously to buy the poop. Use the best bribes, even chicken, and do this exchange long enough... until the dog realizes that it’s crazy to eat such a valuable piece of merchandise. My ex-poop eater comes inside looking for me to show off fresh new product. She’s flabbergasted at how much I’ll pay for it and mighty impressed with her own talent.
As she says, everything’s for sale if the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts