Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a package of turkey necks today at the supermarket. They didn't have chicken necks, so I figured turkey was just as good. They have LOTS of meat on them.

Do I just give it to him and say, "here you go, here's your turkey neck, have fun"? Do I need to parboil it to kill germs on the outside? Should I cut it up into smaller pieces? I'm really inexperienced at this, but I wanted to try it.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask about the kelp. I bought some pills at GNC and was thinking I could crush them and mix them in his food, to see if his nose would go back to black. How much would you give a 12 lb dog?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think you just give it to them. But Taxtel gave this excellent link that was straight forward and step by step. I am starting tomorrow morning:) with all 4 dogs and we will see.
Raw Pics & Videos | Prey Model Raw

Where are you feeding him? I am doing it in the backyard.

Reactions: ABGG

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Our 14 lb mini loves, loves, LOVEs raw chicken necks. I just give one to him raw, right out of the package, and watch in amazment as my sweet little darling turns into a bone-chomping carnivore right before my eyes. (Squeemish family members should avoid listening to the accompanying soundtrack.) I have to assume a turkey neck is a lot bigger, though, so maybe someone more experienced can chime in about their suitability for a small dog. Eating raw food like this takes some work on the dog's part, which is good for them. Expect it to keep him occupied for some time.

I do wish Beau wouldn't always carry his meal out of the tiled kitchen to the family room where he can eat it over an expensive rug, but you can't blame the guy for wanting a little ambience while he dines.

Unfortunately, the stores around here never seem to stock turkey or chicken necks, but I recently discovered they do have packages of little chicken parts labeled "buffalo wings." These are a great size. I feed him one or two at a time, and he is a very happy camper. Also, we've been buying whole chickens lately, which cost about $4 on sale. Beaus gets the wings and other parts, which works out great fo all concerned as pretty much all we eat is the breast meat.

Reactions: ABGG

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think about buying a package of wings. That's a good idea. These necks are huge! LOL

I haven't decided where to feed them to him. I have wood or tile flooring throughout the apartment, but I really don't want him to eat it on the rug (or on my bed!). I can close off rooms though.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought them at the supermarket. They look like they would make good soup! (which is what I plan to do with the rest if Teddy doesn't like it)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Turkey neck soup?

Ewwwwww. lol

Ummm, well... I've not much experience with necks, but my mother has told me to be careful with them and the backs as they are quite boney and to watch [him] the first few times [he] has them to make sure [he] chews up all the little bones.

When I'm feeling adventurous, I buy breasts and dole them out to my poopers... I've also bought "buffalo wings" (unseasoned tiiiiiny little drumlettes... not really even wings) as they're the perfect size to give to Tate as quite a large portion of his meal on occasion.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am going to the butcher today to find chicken necks and backs - AND price a freezer.

This mornings feeding was day and night. All 4 dogs were in dog heaven! I had to use chicken drumsticks. And I was so afraid my stomach couldn't handle it but when you see them enjoying eating, changed everything for me.

Marion, from what I read you introduce turkey in week 2 or 3 although I cannot see it being a huge deal but I would saw those necks into thirds so Teddy can have a few meals out of it (I suppose)

That's the key, I have to make sure I am giving enough for their weight.

Anyway hope their bodies all love it too lol!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking of giving it to him as an occasional treat, if that's okay to do. I tried to give him a small piece of the meat that came off while I was washing the necks, but he didn't seem to know what to do with it. He took it from my hand, but he went straight to the living room run and dropped it. Then he pawed at it a few times and came back to me as if to say, "what else you got?"

The cat, on the other hand, said, "You been holdin' out on me, b*tch!" and ate the little piece like there was no tomorrow.

I put them into individual freezer bags and put them in the freezer. Maybe when the weather is a little warmer, I'll try again outside.

Olie, I know what you mean about seeing them enjoy it. I've been trying for ages to switch the cat to a healthier food, but he only likes Fancy Feast. To see him eat something all natural with such relish was nice. Maybe I'll look into switching him to raw instead.

Spencer, the half chicken wings idea is good, and those are easy to find.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My dogs had turkey necks yesterday also. They are probably the hardest food for them to get into. They are very tough but it keeps them busy:)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The cat, on the other hand, said, "You been holdin' out on me, b*tch!" and ate the little piece like there was no tomorrow.
Sounds like our cat, too. And one time we ran out of cat food (communication problem at our house... so often the cat gets fed twice... thankfully he has lost all that extra weight) so we fed him dog food for two days. It sounds terrible, but he was in love with it and turned his nose up at the cat food we finally gave him.

When we do give him chicken and other raw meat, the little carnivore grabs it and gets up high and gobbles it down. But don't get me started on my cat, though... he stays in the bathroom at night... and gets on the sink and jiggles the door knob. Because he knows that's what we use to open and close the door. Let me just tell you, it is creepy as HECK to be laying in bed and have the door knob jiggle around in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I asked for some turkey necks at Target today and the guy stared at me like I was crazy. u_u
Me too - I was surprised when going to butcher shopes that they DID NOT have chicken backs and necks because they don't get them in....therefore they are NOT what I had considered butchers at all. It sounded like they trimmed the fat off of the meats:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would suggest asking local butchers if they can order different cases of things for you. They have a supplier themselves that usually has a much wider range of products. Also, most ethnic stores have a much wider variety of meats and cuts.
I usually order cases of things from my butcher, or i get chicken quarters and pork cuts from a grocery store.

P.S.- when feeding backs/necks one needs to add in an extra meat source as they are way too boney by themselves (same thing with chicken wings)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My supermarket (Shop Rite) had chicken backs, but no necks. I'm not really sure why they carry turkey necks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I don't think we can buy just chicken or turkey necks here either. The only time my spoos get them is if we buy whole chickens and then use the butcher knife to chop them up into servings. I have not had any problems with the necks from those of from wings. We usually buy backs or breasts when they go on sale or the whole chicken when they are buy one, get one.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have never seen chicken backs for sale here! Anywhere! Im sure i could order them though. I have to order chicken necks (which i rarely feed as they are so small, but couldnt pass up on 40lbs for 10$ deal!), but i can usually find turkey necks in the store. They are nice, big thick necks too. I guess people boil them for soup stocks or something? I have ordered them by the case too, and i really like feeding them. Turkey necks are very meaty, but i still need to add additional meat to teh meal.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would suggest asking local butchers if they can order different cases of things for you. They have a supplier themselves that usually has a much wider range of products. Also, most ethnic stores have a much wider variety of meats and cuts.
I usually order cases of things from my butcher, or i get chicken quarters and pork cuts from a grocery store.

P.S.- when feeding backs/necks one needs to add in an extra meat source as they are way too boney by themselves (same thing with chicken wings)
I checked that too (butcher). Hang on to your hat, the local butcher prices to do this started at $1.79 - $3.89 a lb! WTF? Is what I wanted to say. It would be cheaper to cut my own - which we will when we get a sale. Right now we are doing the chicken quarters, not ready for the other proteins yet but these are working out. The Poms love the little legs lol. It's a different world thats for sure.

Oh I did get beef necks on sale - which are not real meaty so I let Olie and Suri have one yesterday and they did fine even though we are not on beef yet. I may save them for later weeks, just in case. I am more afraid of NOT feeding enough bone.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I am more afraid of NOT feeding enough bone.
Just watch their stools. If they come out white, hard or crumbly, then yes you are feeding too much bone. They should come out brown like normal, and turn white/crumbly after they dry outside. Watch for any constipation.

Those prices are insane!!!! I can get any chicken part for a dollar something or less a pound! Beef and pork 1-2$lb. Look into getting beef/pork hearts when they can handle it. Great meat source (not organ)! Hard, tuff meat too to really floss those teeth! Im glad everyone is doing so well starting off! Rileys mainstay is chicken quarters too. I can get them for about 0.79$/lb or about at the grocery stores. I usually get my chicken through the grocery stores as they are better priced i find. Also if i order chicken through the butcher i get more fat and skin then actual meat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts