·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered this morning "Rocks," enjoys playing tug-o-war with
his toy and enjoys fetching it after we throw it! My husband is in the
floor right now playing with him, I think it's a good activity for him seeing
he never runs out of energy it seems! He is our only poodle that will actually
"play," with us, so it entertains us and him both. :)

What is some things you do to play with your poodles or interact with them?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
It's been really hard to get Jazz to play, I don't think she was really allowed in her previous home. Anyway, she loves loves loves little teeny cat sized toys and loves to play keep away with the puppy with them. It's kind of funny. Of course we keep those toys out of her reach when we can't be there to watch her, choking hazard and all.

She also has a soft fuzzy ball that she will play fetch with out in the yard. She runs and runs and runs with it. Cute.

We had a little play related incident the other day though where she got a little to excited and forgot the rules. I was on the floor playing with the puppy and she joined in the game, wrestling around and such. All of a sudden she just lost her mind and started trying to play with me like I was another dog and not a mommy. She starting jumping around and batting at me with her hands and she grabbed me by the shoulder (yup with her teeth) and tried to pull me me backwards and wrestle. Obviously NOT an acceptable game. She caught me totaly off gaurd and the correction was a little more severe than, thinking back on it, I might have liked. She isn't likely to forget about her teeth like that in the near future though.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We love throwing balls down our hall, as do 3 out of 4 of our poodles love it as well. The 2 spoo's and 1 of our toys chase after the ball, trying to see who can get to it first and fetch it and bring it back to us. They would do this all day long if we would keep throwing balls for them to chase. Our other toy poodle, who happens to be the mother of the one that chases balls with the spoo's, just sits back and watches, as if to say, "you silly dogs what on earth are you doing?" I know that our furry children feel very cooped up, since it's been cold, rainy, foggy, muddy, etc. so we haven't been taking them to the park lately, so most of their play time has been spent indoors. On top of not wanting them to get filthy, We really don't feel like getting real cold ourselves. Since we do have 4 poodles, they pretty much keep each other entertained, wrestling and such. They even toss balls back and forth to each other, its funny to watch them do this.

·
Registered
912 Posts
T loves those little cat toys as well. Whenever the door to our cats room is open he is straight in there to steal her toys and then proceeds to throw them around and paw at them just like a cat - soooo funny to watch.

His favourite game though is to steal something he knows you don't want him to have and then run away with it so you'll chase him. If you don't see him initially he will prance past until you do acknowledge that it's something he can't have and give chase. If you try and do the same thing with a toy or something he is allowed he doesn't react with anywhere near as much enthusiasm and will often just drop it at your feet as this is not how the game is to be played!

We even gave him his own pair of socks and tried to make them extra special socks he wasn't allowed to have and chased him around when he got hold of them but he just seems to know that your hearts not really in it and that you'll end up giving them to him anyway LOL.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Tug is one of the favourite games at my house. the 2 will play it for hours but love it most when I come and play.
Casey knows drop it and will each time then sit for me to throw it again.
Sometimes he bounces around but a quick ah ha and he sits and waits again.
I love tug as it teaches them control and when to stop.
With 2 puppies I find whatever I can to tire them out sometimes

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is my hubby's new "male bonding" time activity with Rocks,
they played forever yesterday, it was so cute!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had to share this! This morning Rocks gingerly
picked up his blue cat squeaky toy in his mouth and came
and set down next to me (I was in the computer chair) and
stared up at me with those big black seal eyes that could
melt someones heart, he was wanting me to play with him!
I threw the toy for him, and he was off 99 mph! It was
so cute though!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, He had to chase down and catch that runnaway toy!!! Go rocks, Goooooo!! LoL.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
T loves those little cat toys as well. Whenever the door to our cats room is open he is straight in there to steal her toys and then proceeds to throw them around and paw at them just like a cat - soooo funny to watch.

His favourite game though is to steal something he knows you don't want him to have and then run away with it so you'll chase him. If you don't see him initially he will prance past until you do acknowledge that it's something he can't have and give chase. If you try and do the same thing with a toy or something he is allowed he doesn't react with anywhere near as much enthusiasm and will often just drop it at your feet as this is not how the game is to be played!

We even gave him his own pair of socks and tried to make them extra special socks he wasn't allowed to have and chased him around when he got hold of them but he just seems to know that your hearts not really in it and that you'll end up giving them to him anyway LOL.
Ginger does the same thing! She makes sure I see her with her"stolen" item jsut ot get my attention.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Coco will play at fetch the ball all day. At first when people visit, they think it's cute, then it drives them crazy. We have to limit how often we will do it with her. Inca likes the following:

• box full of newspapers with little treats hidden inside
  • end of a toilet roll with slots cut in - put a flat piece through the slots and balance a treat on top of the flat piece. They have to pull the flat piece out of the slot to get the treat.
  • pulling something open to get treats
  • big wooden dog toy with pegs they have to remove for the treats
They both like to dance. I put all their obedience moves in a little routine and play Abba Dancing Queen.

We also go to agility once a week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts