Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl has ONE favorite toy. I had to order a replacement, and when it arrived, I knew the quality was not the same. Sure enough, she tore through it in less than a month. I won't be ordering another. She has two other toys from the same brand- even the same toy group (same texture with squeakers), but she hasn't wanted these toys in over a year. I am trying to find something to renew her interest in playing with toys. She likes throwing her toys and chasing after them by herself; she has only played fetch a few times. Any toy suggestions for something new?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I have experimented in building value for toys with Annie. I take a new toy out, exclaim over it, toss it in the air and catch dramatically, then put it away. Next day, same thing, let her sniff then snatch it away and play with it like it is the best toy ever. Etc, until dog is snatching for it. Then let her catch, take it back run and play again.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
You could use some of your Biden bucks for a variety of toys to see what your pup likes best. Our toy exploration was a trial and error. It is recommended that you rotate your toys... It keeps them fresh and extends their life.. like rotating your shoes... Or offering kids a variety of new activities everyday at summer camp. Makes it fun and renews their interest.

I would pick up a basic rope toy. Relatively inexpensive. Fun to grab, fetch, or tug.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Did you want your dog to play fetch? You can clicker train it if you are patient.

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Registered
583 Posts
Have you tried a Holee Roller ball? Not only does this toy have the greatest name, it is very versatile. - the dog can chase it, fetch it or chew it. We stick Topper's bully braids through the holes in our small one, and we use the large one for fetch and tug. It was especially helpful during teething. You can also roll treats into a rag washcloth or hand towel and weave this through the holes for a fun enrichment toy. It comes in a several sizes and different shapes.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was her favorite:

Chewy has a sale on them but I don't want to give her something she can tear into so easily. She's not a tough chewer, either, so I know the quality has gone down.

When I adopted her, she had a bunch of toys, but she only wanted one specific cloth toy/squeaky toy from the bunch. It looked worn out so I bought her some new plush toys with squeakers. The gator became her favorite, but she was willing to try others. But then she really attached to the gator and would go searching for it even with other toys around. This was her third gator so I know it can't be scent related.

I will look into the toys suggested above, thank you :) I will try some new textures and sounds and hope she likes something new!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have experimented in building value for toys with Annie. I take a new toy out, exclaim over it, toss it in the air and catch dramatically, then put it away. Next day, same thing, let her sniff then snatch it away and play with it like it is the best toy ever. Etc, until dog is snatching for it. Then let her catch, take it back run and play again.
I've tried this with her other toys, but she hasn't gone for it yet! :)

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,858 Posts
Looks like they don’t carry Lobo anymore (the largest wolf), but this is where we bought it and they have loads of other options: fluff
Type Lobo in search and it's still there.
This will be my 1st time having a dog, so help me out here. If stuffed (or non-stuffed plush) toys are not "chew toys", what do they do with them? Do they actually cuddle up to their toys? I'm thinking I'll need kong toys, chew toys and tug toys, but am hesitant on plush and squeeky toys. Fill me in please!
Tom

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Type Lobo in search and it's still there.
This will be my 1st time having a dog, so help me out here. If stuffed (or non-stuffed plush) toys are not "chew toys", what do they do with them? Do they actually cuddle up to their toys? I'm thinking I'll need kong toys, chew toys and tug toys, but am hesitant on plush and squeeky toys. Fill me in please!
Tom
Oh yes! Here he is:

A chew toy is a toy that’s designed to be gnawed on. Even the most durable plush toy won’t stand up to extended grinding with the back molars. When Peggy switches to those very back teeth, I know she’s serious about destroying something. But she does also play with plush toys. She’ll nibble them, toss them around, play tug, even use them as a pillow for snoozing.

For puppies you want a variety of textures for them to explore, and you’ll find that different stages of teething—and even different moods—may make your puppy prefer one over the other. Once the adult teeth come in, they can make quick work of most toys, even toys they’ve formerly played with very gently. So supervision is important.

For puppy crate time, we stuck exclusively to stuffed Kongs, which tend to be the most durable. Peggy likes the puppy versions best, which are made from a chewier rubber.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Which size??
I second this, both of my dogs love it! I fill it with kibbles and treats.

If I remember well, there are two sizes. I have the smaller one and it's the right size for my tpoo and mpoo (a bit big for my tpoo, she can stuck her tongue in the hole and grab a few kibbles without playing with it).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.