Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been reading online about crate training, and every site has a different story, so i need some advice.

we have a 36" crate for our 7 month old poodle. it's got a puppy bed that about covers the whole floor, and i have a sheet covering all sides except the door. i'm trying to get her comfortable with the crate and potty train her at the same time. she's yet to soil her crate, but she's reluctant to go into her crate. i pretty have to pick her up and put her in there against her will. i've read online that you shouldn't force her into the crate. you should start by putting a treat just outside the door, then one just inside the door, then another one in the middle until she's all the way in the crate and goes into it comfortably so that she relates the crate to something good.

i know it's gonna take a few days for her to walk into the crate on her own will, so in the mean time, should i just carry her into the crate against her will when i leave for work? should i leave her food and water in the crate too while i'm gone?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, When we brought our puppy home at 10 weeks, in the crate he went, at bedtime. He whined the first night for 5 minutes. The second night was a lot worse, he screamed and cried for over 2 hours, but I stuck it out. By the third night he calmed down a bit. By day 5, not a peep. I first put some treats in to make it nice in there. He has a comfy bed and fleece over that. A toy too. What do you mean by, it is all covered? I have the front cage door and two litle windows on the sides. I leave those open for him to see out. He is still reluctant every night but we push his little (now biggger) tush in, and off he goes. I can't say he is thrilled about it but he is fine. It's his bed at night.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Do you feed her in the crate? All of our small dogs eat in their crates.

I've never been the type to really cuddle a dog about going in a crate. I just pick them up and in they go, then they get a treat or their dinner if its that time. I don't make a big deal out of it really. It's just another fact of life, like yes even though you're cute you will wear your collar, or yes you will potty outside.... I've never had trouble crate training this way. I have had dogs who come to me for training that act like little brats about going in the crate. I treat them just the same and don't give them a choice. I don't fight with them about it I just pick them up and in they go with a treat or toy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oh don't worry about her not going in there on there own now. That can take a year before they realize and do what's expected with the crate.

It took 5 days for Sting to stop the crying during the day when he was crated during break time. At night he was an angel...well as long as I was in the room. Last night when we went out for our nightly potty break he walked right back into his crate with out any assistance. He was very tired though.

It really depends on the dog. Some get the hang of it sooner and accept, other's take longer. You on the right path though....don't give up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
our crate is a wire crate with a queen sized sheet covering the whole thing except for the side with the door. i thought that the sheet might make her feel more safe or more like she's in a real den. i haven't tried feeding her in her crate in case it makes her have to go potty in the middle of the night. she does a good job being quiet in the crate. she usually cries for a minute or two, but we just ignore it and she stays quiet the all night or however long we have her in there. thanks for the responses.

i have another question: whats the longest i should crate her during the day? when im home all day, i usually keep her in the crate for an hour or two at a time, a couple times throughout the day. on days that i work (2:30pm-10:30pm) i'll let her roam free under a watchful eye before i crate her and leave for work. i'll usually come home between 6 and 7pm to let her out and go to the bathroom for about 20 minutes, then put her back in until i get back home from my shift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts