Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been researching pet insurance for dogs in Canada and I am leaning towards Trupanion. I had some specific questions that I wanted to ask the group.

1) Waiting periods: 5 days for injury and 30 days for illness. My understanding is that if my poodle got ill within those 30 days not only would I not be covered but that illness would now be considered a "pre-existing condition". So is my understanding correct that the first 30 days of the insurance is not only not useful, it actually could theoretically could result in some future claims being denied?

Along those lines, I read about breeders or vets giving an "offer" to dog owners. I imagine if it is a vet that is giving the offer out they would have seen the dog first. If there were any issues then that would automatically be considered a pre-existing condition.

What about enrolling a puppy at 4 weeks, which would allow the ~30 day waiting period before receiving the puppy? The only issue is that someone may not know which puppy will be there's yet... and I imagine a contract and the microchip registration won't be done until closer to 8 weeks.

2) Deductible: I went through the Trupanion's Canadian website and read their sample policy. Their website mentions "medical condition" and their policy mentions "specific injury or illness". I imagine that unless a poodle got the exact same injury multiple times, that the deductible would really apply to every new injury. And by medical condition or "specific illness" it would fall into various categories perhaps like "vomiting", "diarrhea", "ingestion of foreign object", "diabetes" etc... I feel like technically they could be really picky if they wanted to be, which would be very disadvantageous if someone had a very high deductible (e.g. $1000 per condition per lifetime). Any experience or thoughts on the interpretation of "medical condition" or "specific injury or illness".

The quote for the premium I calculated for a 8 week standard poodle puppy from Trupanion Canada with a $200 deductible was $107 for where I live. I was really surprised how high that was. What are people's thoughts about increasing the deductible to something higher, $500 ($72), $700 ($59) or $1000 ($44). From my understanding of the policy, I can always increase the deducible in the future but I can only lower the deductible within the first 30 days of starting the policy. My thinking was to get a $200 deductible for the first 2-3 years and then increase the deductible if my dog was doing well.... just to lower the cost of the premium. Thoughts on this please?

Sorry that was a lot of questions and information. I do plan on calling Trupanion and asking them some of these questions, but I highly value the opinion and experience of the poodle forum members as I feel my above concerns are not necessarily explained from the resources I have looked at.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Trupanion is crazy expensive. Does Embrace insurance work up there? I've heard good things about that one. As for enrolling a puppy, I think it is generally recommended that you insure them before you bring them home, otherwise they could do a gotcha on pre-existing conditions on the first vet visit.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I'm no help with sorting thru the various companies, US or Canada, but I have a strategy to suggest.

Go for a mid/high deductible and start saving the difference as a dedicated Poodle Emergency Fund. What I remember from the bit of researching I did was that the premiums usually increase with age, so think of the insurance as reducing out of pocket, not eliminating it, should you need to use it.
If things go well, then after you have a reasonable sum in the PEF, drop the insurance but keep adding the price you were paying for the premium to really build the fund up for another year or two..

One of our Canadian members, Dechi, recently purchased insurance for her two tpoos, who are adults. You might PM her to see if she'd share some info on the company she chose.

This isn't much of a comparison since it's a different company, Petplan, (no idea if they operate in Canada, sorry) and it was when I was searching in October 2017. I didn't save the online form I submitted for the quote but their response was $24.37 for each of my boys.

your saved quote​

Neo
6-12 month-old Miniature Poodle​
$24.37/mo​

I was surprised to learn that my home and auto insurance company, State Farm, also offers pet insurance. They're not the only ones, based on a quick search.

You might also ask your vets office if they have experience with some of the companies you're looking at.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I just insured both my dogs a few months ago. I’m in Canada, but different province. All insurers are giving their customer care to Petsecure. Here we had five insurers. I called them all and often the same person from Petsecure would answer the phone for a different company, lol !

I went with the least expensive one. One of my dogs is 6 and the other one is 3. Both are toy poodles. Merlin, the older one, has been refused for heart conditions, patellas and gastric problems. Beckie was refused for gastric problems. This last refusal can be withdrawn after 1 year if I give veterinary proof that it is no more existing. The heart and patella refusal are for life.

It costs me 84$ for both dogs, per month. I took the basic package and I think my deductible is 100$ for Beckie and 250$ for Merlin. Beckie has dental, so once she’s had her dental cleaning done I will remove this options and her price will go down 7$, which will put me at 77$ per month for both.

I can’t answer your other questions, but you should call them directly and ask anything you want. They’re used to it and will give you any info you want.

About the free insurance for puppies, you can get it from a lot of breeders, but also from the companies directly, for some of them. I had it for Beckie when she was a puppy and used it a lot unfortunately. I didn’t continue with it because the premiums were way too high.

Last, you should definitely get a quote from pet secure.

I just did a pretend quote and it’s similar to what I’m paying (for a toy). I have 2000$ per illness per year and 500$ dental for Beckie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also live in Canada and we use Petplan. I just wanted to chime in because with our insurance, in addition to the 15 day waiting period, there is a 6 month waiting period for any joint issues unless you get a note from your vet (within 30 days of purchasing your plan) that your dog's hips and knees are in good shape. Otherwise, if they experience any hip or knee issues in the first 6 months, that condition will never be covered. Such a maze of terms and conditions, but worth while to figure out what sort of things you need your vet to explicitly state on the health certificate at the first exam.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts