Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I secretly envied a previous poster (since departed) when CBrand took the time from her busy day to critique her dogs ;); I want to *know* if Bella really has a cherry eye, if Alf has a bony head, if Pearl isn't the picture of breed perfection I believe her to be, rofl- (speaking of pictures, I swear, my dh is *still* putting off looking for the camera cable. Must borrow dd's. Must.)

I mean, how will I ever learn otherwise? I can only try to interpret a written std- I don't have the benefit of having shown or felt up a hundred poodles under a knowledgable mentor.

However, I really DO have an interest in how sound my poodles are! Not for breeding (we speuter- good word!) or show. I am just an old rabbit shower & breeder that can perhaps grasp nuances of type, etc; I had *Belgian Hares* & NDs (and good ones- I won BOB & a Gold Medal at the LA Co fair, for largest breed entry, in Open- not Junior- at the age of 14.)- talk about confirmation & type, lol. So it interests me.

Anyways, that's my true confession. :p

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I'm not sure what you are saying either. But, it does sound like you want to post pics of your dogs to be critiqued. Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I did not understand you either lol

Like SS said do you want use to critique your dog ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I was just trying to start a lighthearted thread & didn't mean to be confusing. I haven't got any pictures up yet to critique! :p I meant just what I said, I'd had a whimsical thought in that memorable thread that the other poster got so worked up about the 'bashing' of her dogs- I'd've considered it a privilege :D.

More along the lines of silly stuff that you thought of mentioning or posting (not harsh or critical!), but didn't.

It was a silly idea, sorry! (Although I am going to take a bunch of pix all at once one day soon & anybody who wants to is certainly invited! Certainly most people here are more qualified than I. :))

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ok now I get what you are saying ;)

Some people are very sensitive when it comes to there dogs.

But if you want to know the pros and cons of your dogs you are welcome to post pics to show us, just tell us that you want them judged ;)

I would not give any comments on dogs confirmation wise except the owner asks for it. Well at least not the bad stuff :p

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ok...I understand now. Your intentions were well meant.

Well...there are two ways to offer critique; one is positive and the other is negative. Sometimes it is in the way that it is being offered that is not taken so well.

I like to hear the truth when I ask a question but I don't take it well it is done in a way that is terse. I respond very well when I am given critique that is not favorable if it is offered in a way that is helpful and kindly offered. I imagine that many people feel this way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mind terse, as long as it's not mean-spirited (and the mean-spirited generally tend to verbiage ;))

I can't wait to post some pix, although practicing (with my NEW clippers) on poor Bella has her still looking a bit patchy (she gets nervous when being groomed, as I'd imagine any formerly stray poodle with huge mats & overgrown claws would, so I am taking it in slow stages, before she gets snarly. So she is sleek with hairy feet right now, sigh).

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
terse adjective ters·er, ters·est.
1. Brief and to the point; effectively concise

Personally, I like it when people get to the point. I hate it when people talk around a topic and couch things in huggy-kissy language. It's a style thing.

Anyway, I do hope that the aforementioned owner had her dog's Cherry Eye looked at. It is a health issue not a conformation issue.

My true confession? I wish I could wig and dye my bitch. :bandit:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am still confused! LOL - people are getting pissy here lately - I am good in neutral, the weekend is about over!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So sorry!

And CBrand, I guess that's why I need pix- I didn't hear anything about cherry eye from the vet (who I discussed eyes with, as she had an eye infection I treated), & I had no idea it was a treatable condition (if she has it). One just looks rounder & less deep-set than the other- (sheepish) maybe I should've google imaged before speculating.

On the other hand, I appreciate everyone's patience w/ my ignorance as I evolve from clueless newbie & novice spoo keeper. :) (And confusing thread starter!)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
And CBrand, I guess that's why I need pix- I didn't hear anything about cherry eye from the vet (who I discussed eyes with, as she had an eye infection I treated), & I had no idea it was a treatable condition (if she has it). One just looks rounder & less deep-set than the other- (sheepish) maybe I should've google imaged before speculating.
No!:doh:

Your dogs don't have Cherry Eye but I think another poster's dog did. This was the poster who bought her boy from a breeder and her bitch from the group of juvenile Poodles all kept together in a pen. BTW... cherry eye looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Who? Delilah?
Yes. I think it is unethical to wig/dye dogs so I don't do it, but I do still think about how nice it would be.

Just think.... you don't have to worry about rubbed out topknots or thin spots. You can just fill in as necessary. You don't have to worry about sunburnt ends or weird color shifts due to clearing. You can just dye the dog and go into the ring with a good, solid dark Brown. Sigh...

I thought we were revealing our dirty little fantasies. Oops....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No!:doh:

Your dogs don't have Cherry Eye but I think another poster's dog did. This was the poster who bought her boy from a breeder and her bitch from the group of juvenile Poodles all kept together in a pen. BTW... cherry eye looks like this:
Ack! No, Bellaboo is OK! (This is why I need you guys, I'd rather make an unfathomable fool of myself online than IRL! Thank you!)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I guess I would have to say that I am with Cbrand on the fantasy question. We, too, are ethical and will not dye or wig our dogs for the ring. But, we do dream about it too believe me. Oh, the possibilities....sigh...

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK, you want a fantasy how about this one? I dream that my dogs will all be perfectly well behaved and well trained without me having to do all the work that comes with it. They are supposed to be smart, right? Well??!!! Ok, if that won't work, my next dream is that I won't be so lazy and will find all the energy and ambition needed to train each of my dogs....one better...I dream that I can train my dogs to do dog dancing and we can perform as a team and I will wear a square dancing type outfit and they will have top hats and knickers. Now I am dreaming. I swear I haven't been drinking. It is too early yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, I think the square dancing outfits would be adorable. (And yes, privately, Pearl and I have been working on our freestyle dancing, but we are doing it for our pleasure, & Pearl prefers 80s disco.)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My true confession is Mitch killed a squeaky tennis ball at the dog park, and when I finally found the owner of the tennis ball, he seemed kinda pissed off at me. I said sorry of course, but I sort of didn't mean it....Mitch stole the ball off of a chocolate lab, and so I thought it was the lab's ball. I got the ball off Mitch (before he killed it), and gave it back to the lab. Mitch has a thing for squeaks, so he was following the lab around and when the lab gave it up, Mitch took it again.
He only squeaked it twice and then it stopped squeaking and he left it and the lab took it again. Then the lab left, but the ball stayed, so I thought that the lab owner just left it at the park because it had been desqueaked (wrong of me to assume, but I really did think it was the lab's ball).It was just lying on the ground, so I let Mitch have it and he chewed it to death...and then the TRUE owner of the squeaky ball came over and I said "oh, is this your ball? Sorry..." and he said "yeah...oh, it's broken" and just walked away.
I would've offered to buy him a new ball, but I don't understand why he didn't ask for it when the lab had it, didn't ask for it when Mitch had it, and didn't pick it up when the lab left...plus the dog park is behind a tennis court so there are TONS of regular tennis balls there, so why bring a squeaky one that is obviously going to be of higher interest to the other dogs?? He also had the most matted looking poodle or doodle I've ever seen.
Mitch's favourite ball (CUZ ball with NO squeak) was destroyed a few weeks ago at the dog park and it was totally my fault because I didn't keep an eye on the dog who was playing with it. The owner offered to give me the ball she had brought for her dog, but I couldn't accept it because it's my responsibility to keep my eyes on everything that comes with me to the park.

I still feel badly though and wish I would've offered to buy him a new one...I feel like a jerk.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts