Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little spinoff from the Gaits thread.

Does your dog trot or pace?

Honey does both. Normally she trots, but if she gets tired, she'll drop to a pace but still moves quick enough so it's not a walk. It's definitely a pace. Start to run or encourage her to go faster, she'll switch back to a trot. She makes a tiny jump with her front end usually to switch her front legs around back to trot.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Maizie always trots--she has gorgeous movement and she loves to show it off. Frosty is a pacer. However, when he does break into a trot, it is spectacular. He has a huge stride.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I stink at seeing this myself in my own dogs, but generally think they trot. Here is a video that I think has been linked to on PF previously, but is nice to see again since it is a poodle as the demo dog.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I have no idea either. Where does prancing come into this scheme - where they lift their front with that pretty springy high step?

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Some breeds will throw their front feet (goldens, poodles) when really moving and others don't so I am not sure what you would call that. Personally I don't love the look of that and don't particularly encourage it in Javelin. I suppose it depends whether the are moving both right feet together vs. opposites.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Merlin does both. He has very good conformation and his trot is just amazing. Beckie also does both. Her trot isn’t as nice as her brothers but she’s still a joy to look at when she does it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Luna trots almost all the time. She has gorgeous movement and it’s fun to just watch her moving around the house. I think I have posted a lot of her movement vids here but here is one of her most recent ones with me. Can’t remember if I posted it before. https://instagram.com/p/BmrQn2fDPQy/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
A very good explanation of the 'desired' gaits for performance dogs! My poor Molly's 'amble' is a total no-no LOL!!!! Hells Bells, as long as she doesn't have hip or knee problems we're happy with her little booty shake LOL!!

Dog Physiology: How Dogs Move

https://www.chewy.com/petcentral/dog-physiology-how-dogs-move

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is there a way to choose a puppy that will trot vs pace? Can you look at a puppy's structure and tell? Can you look at the way a 5, 6, 7 week old puppy moves and tell what he is likely to do as an adult? For either conformation or obedience you want a dog that trots.

Is there a way to teach a growing puppy to trot rather than pace?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Both my girls trot from what I can see, but Mochi puts poodle bounce into hers (which I always thought was prancing), whereas Chuui is stiff-legged and a bit awkward looking :dontknow: and she's the one from champions!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Is there a way to choose a puppy that will trot vs pace? Can you look at a puppy's structure and tell? Can you look at the way a 5, 6, 7 week old puppy moves and tell what he is likely to do as an adult? For either conformation or obedience you want a dog that trots.

Is there a way to teach a growing puppy to trot rather than pace?
Great question, and in my experience, yes!! A good breeder will evaluate for movement the same way that they will evaluate for aptitude and conformation. By pulling out each puppy individually and encouraging them to move at a pace faster than a walk, you can really see how they prefer to move and how pretty their movement is at 8 weeks old. And also by observing them with their littermates and just seeing how they like to move naturally. Puppies that prefer to trot at this age will continue to do so, and puppies that prefer to pace will also likely prefer to do so.

My breeder posted a video on YouTube of Luna and her sisters at 8 weeks old being evaluated individually for movement (you can find it if you look up Munaut Poodles in youtube). I will post a screen shot of Luna from it.

Of course you can practice with a puppy to encourage trotting, I don’t know if they can completely change their preferred movement but you can tell in the show ring that some dogs are naturals and some are not. The ones that are not probably don’t like to trot. By using pieces of PVC pipe on the ground spaced out at the correct length based on the size of your puppy, you can work with them on extending their gait. But I must say it is so nice to have a dog that is just a “natural”.

When Luna was a baby I didn’t really understand my breeders wisdom on that. I figured that it could be changed. I was wanting one of the other puppies who did not prefer to trot. But now I am so happy I ended up with one that just had it come naturally. I don’t know if I could have put enough work into the other puppy to improve the movement, and even if I did I don’t think she would look as pretty as Luna does in motion.

Attachments

Reactions: reraven123

·
Registered
587 Posts
In obedience you want a lovely heel, and the pace is not a lovely gait. It looks awkward, at least with standards. Maybe not so much with the smaller dogs, but the larger ones just don't look good pacing. If you try it yourself either walking or running but swinging the arm on the same side as the leg you are stepping forward with, your butt swings out a lot more than it does when you walk normally. It is the same with dogs, their whole body swings from side to side. Turns are not graceful, much as with a horse in counter canter, where their front end and back end are on opposite leads. It is also slower than a trot (so is technically an amble) so the dog is much more likely to lag, especially at the figure 8.

You can qualify and title with a dog that paces, but you won't place if there's any competition at all.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Huh, most people say Frosty looks really elegant when he paces! And he can get going quite fast. I'm a horse person too and I would not equate the pace with counter-cantering. Also, like with horses, there are speeds to every gait. I see my dogs doing a collected trot and an extended trot, same with the pace on Frosty. Are you a judge or trainer? I've had him evaluated by several top obedience trainers and they never mentioned his pace stopping him from excelling. We have cream of the crop competition out here in CA, so we'll put him to the test.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I agree that trotting gives prettier heeling even for smaller dogs. I have to work to get Javelin to a trot, not because he doesn't naturally trot, but because I tend to be more of an ambler.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts