Poodle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Rosey 8 Husky/Shepherd Cody 6 Yorkie Laurie 1 year Poodle
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by the video linked in the bracelet thread to try to recreate the coat pattern that was on the dog in the video on Laurie. She obviously has much shorter hair than the dog in the video, but I want to grow it out anyway. I think I did okay any advice or criticism is welcome. It can only help me improve. I really struggle with her feet. When I try to get between her toes she starts jerking her foot away from me.
Dog Dog breed Working animal Grey Carnivore

· Premium Member
7,879 Posts
The feet pulling is one of my struggles, for my boys too. I have some success by using a variation of Tom's suggestion.

I read advice here or somewhere to let them have their foot for quick breaks, but on your terms.
Remo: pulls foot away
Me: keeps contact with foot til Remo stops fussing then let him set foot down for a second.
Me: picks foot up again and gets a couple of strokes in.
Remo: pulls foot away
Me: as above but when I take foot back I place the non-clippy end on his foot and let it buzz, move it around, to remind him that it doesn't hurt and get a couple more strokes in.

I think the thing that helps us the most is me keeping myself in a laughing frame of mind. I sing, I laugh, tell him what a good boy he is - laughing because I'm lying lol.

"Lift" "Bzzzzt" "Drop" "Good Boy"

(If I work in a couple more movements, I can repurpose the Cell Block Tango from Chicage lol)

· Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
5,103 Posts
I'm doing Elroy's feet out on the lawn. I think if he was on a grooming table with a noose, it would go much quicker. The good thing it I'm in no hurry. Right now his fronts, are clipped and his backs are not. He'd had enough after I did the fronts. He doesn't mind that it's not all evened up!

· Registered
472 Posts
Feet are difficult for me as well. I have found that a grooming table made the biggest difference. I smear a bit of wet dog food on the table as a distractor. I work quickly and give breaks. Like the others said, breaks are on my terms. If he pulls his foot away, I get it back and hold it until he is still. Sometimes I do one foot and come back to the rest later in the day or even another day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts