Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It is coming in sometime this week or early next week but I am so so so excited!! :happy: I got one to help with Norman's exercise. I am not a runner at all, and have terrible hips, but am trying to build up that muscle so I can run with Norman. He LOVES running on our supposed to be "walks!" I don't want to limit him or hold him back so I got a tricycle in the meantime! It has a big basket in the back that can hold up to 70 lbs so I will be planning to pack foods, toys, etc. and go on picnics with Norman and also will allow him to take a joy ride with me (if he likes to sit in it). We live close to a trail that we often walk to, but this will let us ride/run to it and stop to relax for a bit with some water and snacks!

I know I sound silly talking about picnics with a dog, but Norman is my best friend and we literally do everyone together so I know that will only give us more things to do!! I will take pictures of it and post it here when it comes in (if I can remember lol)! In the meantime I need to look up how to properly train him to be comfortable running with a bike! :bounce:

Have y'all had any experience biking with your pup running/riding with you and have any advice?

Registered
Haha sounds very familiar. I also can not run because of high arched feet, even though the poodle wishes I could.
Picnics with poodle sound like lots of fun.

I bike with Evie on a fairly normal basis if I need to exercise her quickly.

Okay from experience there are a few tricks that I have learned.

Always use a bike leash type attachment, if you do not your dog's leash could get caught in the weals, or could pull you over. I had a friend you biked with his labs that were well behaved without a bike attachment, one day they decided to chase a squirrel and pulled him over and he broke both his legs and several ribs. I use the walkie dog attachment for my mountain bike, and it seems to work well.

When the dog is attached to the bike, always keep a hand on the bike so that they cannot pull it over on them, if they decide to start moving around.

Keep a leash in the basket of the bike so that you can potty the dog while biking once you stop.

Always, always, use a harness preferably a padded harness, so that you do not jerk the dog's collar, and injure there neck.

Sorry for the long post.

Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome advice, thank you!!

Yes I ALWAYS use a harness on Norman while walking. He has a collar on, but never attached to a leash.

I will look for the bike leash attachment! Great idea. I am most worried for him pulling, but he is getting so much better with his front lead training him not to pull. And I feel terrible for that man, how scary for him. Hope he is better!!

Do you know if its best to use a regular back hook harness or a front lead while biking? I use a front lead currently and am not sure if this would still work with us biking.

Thank you again for the great advice and please do not apologize for the length, I love detail!! :)

Registered
SamieNorman,

Did you ever find a bike attachment that worked with your tricycle? I've been looking and everything seems to be for bikes not tricycles.

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
SamieNorman,

Did you ever find a bike attachment that worked with your tricycle? I've been looking and everything seems to be for bikes not tricycles.

Thanks
So sorry I am just now seeing this. To be honest, I have yet to test it out but I did find an attachment! I have not been able to test it out due to my brakes having an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SMLTT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OYIAW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first link is the attachment that will allow him to attach to my tricycle wheel and not stick straight out into the road. The second link is the actual attachment called "Walky Dog". It normally attached to a regular bike on the seat-bar but the attachment (first link) to to allow him to attach to the wheel since the tricycle or too wide for him to attached under the seat with the back wheels.

Again I have not been able to try since I have been adjusting the breaks. But I believe I will be adding this attachment this weekend and I will let you know how it does!! But these are the products that I am going to be using and I heard they work on tricycles.

Registered
I also have a trike. Love it. I walked my border collie using the trike.

I would have the trike in a place he will see it, don't let him pee on it. Then, I would sit on the trike and call Norman to heel. Praise. Don't let him climb into your lap. Reward him for staying far enough from you not to hit the bike when you are walking. Next session, ride the bike slowly up and down the drive, calling the dog to heel and pushing him to keep him from getting too close. Praise, but don't treat as you don't want him looking to you for treats. He'll be happy to be learning something new.

With us, I rode on the sidewalk, but when I rode in the street I stayed close to the curb and had him walk on the lawns. I did not want to teach him to run down the middle of the street.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts