Poodle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In addition to the basic tricks and training we also have Bobby help us “carry” things. It’s a job for him and it has helped him learn when he can and can’t use his mouth on things. 😉 His mouth can’t touch the item until we say, “Carry.”
He “carries” his grooming bag and rug, some cardboard things we bring to the recycling bin, my socks, and anything else we deem appropriate for him to “carry.” Basically we carry the larger items and he gets to hold the item along with us. We find it quite endearing as he helps. Then we say “Drop” when the job is done. He practically lives to “help” us! 😂
He adores puzzle games and “Find It” games too. And the dog likes to sniff like there is no tomorrow so we do sniffy walks.
This may not be appropriate for all dogs but in teaching “Off,” which he is very good at, we also taught him to “hug” us. So he is allowed to jump up when we say “Hug” and only then which is the followed by “Off.” I wouldn’t recommend this for everyone but it worked great for us. And a favorite with the grandkids is “Pound It” rather than shake or paw.😉
That's so cute😭!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
After playing with the flirt pole and running Sisko is tired, but still needs something to do mentally. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for tricks I could teach him that he might like? (So far he does "paw" and "touch") Or jobs that I could give him after I trained it to him?
wow, after reading all these tricks I feel like I’d best get moving! At 16 wks Quincy knows
Sit
Hump
Stand
Hump
Recall
Hump

He will do all of these if he knows I have a treat. Humping is a freebie
Down

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The mental tasks my Spoo and I both love:

The things my Spoo most likes to do involve going and finding things I specify and bringing them to me ( like finding my keys or phone and bringing them to me, etc), or taking something and putting it elsewhere (like laundry to the basket, or toys to the toy box, etc)

The initial training for them involves many linked commands, but in the end is one command for a complicated task that involves effort on his side. They are super useful to me tasks, and involve much more of his brain than just a trick.

The most useful command? "What did I say?" He is sometimes distracted when I say something the first time, but he hears it, or sees the body language que, on some level. When I say "What did I say?" he stops and thinks, and almost always gets it right and is so proud of himself!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Well Renn has recently taught me a trick...He has one ball he likes to play with inside the house. He occasionally would lose iit under the hutch or my chair but that happened infrequently. Now he actually takes his snout and tosses it under the hutch, then gives a bark and looks at me. I finally figured out he is purposely doing this to make me get up from the computer, get the ball and toss it back to him. He now does it on average 10x while I"m on the computer. LOL So he has trained me to this trick.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well Renn has recently taught me a trick...He has one ball he likes to play with inside the house. He occasionally would lose iit under the hutch or my chair but that happened infrequently. Now he actually takes his snout and tosses it under the hutch, then gives a bark and looks at me. I finally figured out he is purposely doing this to make me get up from the computer, get the ball and toss it back to him. He now does it on average 10x while I"m on the computer. LOL So he has trained me to this trick.
Lol

21 - 29 of 29 Posts