Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After playing with the flirt pole and running Sisko is tired, but still needs something to do mentally. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for tricks I could teach him that he might like? (So far he does "paw" and "touch") Or jobs that I could give him after I trained it to him?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Try going thru the AKC trick training on your own, and also the AKC Canine Good Citizen training.

AKC training - get certified or just good things to know and train
AKC Canine Good Citizen - mix or pure breed

AKC Trick Dog - mix or pure breed - get certified or just fun things to learn

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I find what dogs need to do most is sniff - any games that require him to use his nose will help. Hunt the treat is the easiest, but you could progress to more formal nose work games around the house. I've often thought that a dab of a recognisable scent on frequently mislaid items like car keys and spectacles, followed by teaching the dog to distinguish between them and eventually be able to find them would be a hugely useful skill, especially for those of us who are getting older!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try going thru the AKC trick training on your own, and also the AKC Canine Good Citizen training.

Thank you, @Rose n Poos! Forgot about AKC's Trick Dog. I do want to get Sisko CGC certified, it's going to be a while I think. So far he would pass test 1 😬

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find what dogs need to do most is sniff - any games that require him to use his nose will help. Hunt the treat is the easiest, but you could progress to more formal nose work games around the house. I've often thought that a dab of a recognisable scent on frequently mislaid items like car keys and spectacles, followed by teaching the dog to distinguish between them and eventually be able to find them would be a hugely useful skill, especially for those of us who are getting older!
I would love to do that! It would be incredibly useful! I know for Schutzhund part of it is noseworks, but wouldn't it be cool if there was just nosework training that intense?

·
Registered
861 Posts
The Do More with Your dog groups on Facebook have a ton of videos on how to train things and trick training ideas and instructors who will certify the tricks. The instructor I follow is really flexible about write in tricks and using makeshift equipment. Plus, you can film tricks as you go so no need to have everything at the same time. Sisko might be able to pass the Novice level already.

Annie's favourite tricks are peekaboo (come between my legs), leg weaves and jumping up on objects/jumping between platforms. We practice on walks.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
After playing with the flirt pole and running Sisko is tired, but still needs something to do mentally. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for tricks I could teach him that he might like? (So far he does "paw" and "touch") Or jobs that I could give him after I trained it to him?
Oi Beatrice was a mischievous pup, I taught her paw, high five, wave, spin right, spin left, pirouette, army crawl, roll over, say your prayers
Bea taught herself to open cabinets.
Useful was trade up found objects for treats, this is handy for dropped pills and dead mice.
Also taught Bea to alert when Walter was vomiting or stealing dog food very handy

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
You can do a number of things with testing through videos CGC, trick dogs and rally novice, and now intermediate rally too. All thorugh AKC.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Here's Peggy's list:

Sit
Touch (nose to hand or nose to object)
Lie down
Lie down while touching target
Chin down
Lay on side (this will eventually be rollover...maybe....lol)
Up from down to sit
Up from sit to stand
Up onto object (either four paws or just front paws, anything from a target to a box to the couch)
Down off object
Spin left
Spin right
Go around an object (this is surprisingly adorable)
Go to your mat/bed/any clearly defined space
In/Out (kiddie pool, bathtub, etc.)
Basic recall
Over (my leg or an obstacle; also originally taught her to jump my arm, but I do NOT recommend this)
Catch ball in mouth (up close or from a distance)
Wait/Stay/Freeze
Automatic wait at threshold
Get a tossed treat or toy when cued
Find it (hidden toy)

I think that covers it.

I'm currently working on "Go say hi" to (hopefully) teach polite greetings, and army crawl (which is ridiculously cute).

If Peggy's antsy, I'll go through pretty much this entire list in random order, using a clicker and a pocket full of her treat kibble. It's a fun, quick way to burn mental energy in a low-distraction environment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Kyra Sundance's 101 Dog Tricks is a good place to start. She introduces the tricks in order, so you build on the skills previously learned. She also suggests hand signals to associate with the tricks.
Yes!! I love that book! Just a warning, however, quite a few of the tricks require props :/.
Some of Fluffy’s tricks that we’re working out the kinks on are:
Bow
Sit pretty
Tap the target

And he knows:
Crawl
Sit
Down
Stay
High five (slap my hand!)
Shake (let me hold your paw!)
Stand up
Dance
Roll over
Jump on an object
Jump in the air

In addition to nose work, have you thought about freestyle?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Do More with Your dog groups on Facebook have a ton of videos on how to train things and trick training ideas and instructors who will certify the tricks. The instructor I follow is really flexible about write in tricks and using makeshift equipment. Plus, you can film tricks as you go so no need to have everything at the same time. Sisko might be able to pass the Novice level already.

Annie's favourite tricks are peekaboo (come between my legs), leg weaves and jumping up on objects/jumping between platforms. We practice on walks.
I feel like I actually need Facebook now, because there's too much that I'm missing out on🥺

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes!! I love that book! Just a warning, however, quite a few of the tricks require props :/.
Some of Fluffy’s tricks that we’re working out the kinks on are:
Bow
Sit pretty
Tap the target

And he knows:
Crawl
Sit
Down
Stay
High five (slap my hand!)
Shake (let me hold your paw!)
Stand up
Dance
Roll over
Jump on an object
Jump in the air

In addition to nose work, have you thought about freestyle?
I have not😨 maybe I should look into it too!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kyra Sundance's 101 Dog Tricks is a good place to start. She introduces the tricks in order, so you build on the skills previously learned. She also suggests hand signals to associate with the tricks.
Thank you, @cowpony! I added it on my list of what to get from Chewy/Amazon.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Oh! If we are listing tricks ...

Sit, down, stand
Left and right paws standing, sitting, and down
Wave left and right paws (left isnt ad good yet)
Paw touch target
Nose touch target
Follow a target stick
Nose touch hand
Peekaboo
Side and place (sit on left side either circling around me or from the front)
Front (sit at front)
Cross your paws left and right (adorable, took SO LONG to train)
Spin
Over and under an obstacle
2 feet up on an obstacle
Platform jump
Go to crate/ go to bed
Up and down on a low table
Crawl
Bow
Turn on/off a floor button for a lamp
Catch a toy
Fetch to hand
Barrel racing
Stay at a distance. 3 commands at a distance (sit, stand, down)

I honestly forget what else we did for DMWYD, it's super fun.
I feel like I actually need Facebook now, because there's too much that I'm missing out on🥺
I got Facebook back in university after almost failing a math midterm because I couldnt join the group where people shared previous exams - that prof gave awful difficult midterms, and used exactly the same ones with slightly different numbers each year. I dont use my real name, I seldom check it, but it is definitely nice to have for all the stupid only on FB things.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Thanks! A bored Poodle is a bad Poodle....

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here's Peggy's list:

Sit
Touch (nose to hand or nose to object)
Lie down
Lie down while touching target
Chin down
Lay on side (this will eventually be rollover...maybe....lol)
Up from down to sit
Up from sit to stand
Up onto object (either four paws or just front paws, anything from a target to a box to the couch)
Down off object
Spin left
Spin right
Go around an object (this is surprisingly adorable)
Go to your mat/bed/any clearly defined space
In/Out (kiddie pool, bathtub, etc.)
Basic recall
Over (my leg or an obstacle; also originally taught her to jump my arm, but I do NOT recommend this)
Catch ball in mouth (up close or from a distance)
Wait/Stay/Freeze
Automatic wait at threshold
Get a tossed treat or toy when cued
Find it (hidden toy)

I think that covers it.

I'm currently working on "Go say hi" to (hopefully) teach polite greetings, and army crawl (which is ridiculously cute).

If Peggy's antsy, I'll go through pretty much this entire list in random order, using a clicker and a pocket full of her treat kibble. It's a fun, quick way to burn mental energy in a low-distraction environment.
Wow! So impressed!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
In addition to the basic tricks and training we also have Bobby help us “carry” things. It’s a job for him and it has helped him learn when he can and can’t use his mouth on things. 😉 His mouth can’t touch the item until we say, “Carry.”
He “carries” his grooming bag and rug, some cardboard things we bring to the recycling bin, my socks, and anything else we deem appropriate for him to “carry.” Basically we carry the larger items and he gets to hold the item along with us. We find it quite endearing as he helps. Then we say “Drop” when the job is done. He practically lives to “help” us! 😂
He adores puzzle games and “Find It” games too. And the dog likes to sniff like there is no tomorrow so we do sniffy walks.
This may not be appropriate for all dogs but in teaching “Off,” which he is very good at, we also taught him to “hug” us. So he is allowed to jump up when we say “Hug” and only then which is the followed by “Off.” I wouldn’t recommend this for everyone but it worked great for us. And a favorite with the grandkids is “Pound It” rather than shake or paw.😉

1 - 20 of 29 Posts