Poodle Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've got to get a hula hoop for Hugo! You all are inspiring me! (I should also be working a lot harder on recall but tricks are so fun!)
Definitely get a hula hoop! So versatile. And you’ll feel like you’ve got a circus dog. :)

As for recall, this is something to be reinforced constantly. Meaning, whenever you call Hugo to you, it should be the world’s biggest celebration when he comes. Always positive, no exceptions. This is super easy to incorporate into your everyday life.

I rarely do dedicated recall sessions, unless my husband and I are playing the game where we stand at opposite ends of the house (or a field, etc.) and take turns calling Peggy and giving her a treat. She will literally trip over herself to scramble back to whoever’s calling her. And getting to race back to the other person becomes even more rewarding than the treat!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Definitely get a hula hoop! So versatile. And you’ll feel like you’ve got a circus dog. :)

As for recall, this is something to be reinforced constantly. Meaning, whenever you call Hugo to you, it should be the world’s biggest celebration when he comes. Always positive, no exceptions. This is super easy to incorporate into your everyday life.

I rarely do dedicated recall sessions, unless my husband and I are playing the game where we stand at opposite ends of the house (or a field, etc.) and take turns calling Peggy and giving her a treat. She will literally trip over herself to scramble back to whoever’s calling her. And getting to race back to the other person becomes even more rewarding than the treat!
Thank you for the reminder about the joyful response (plus treats, for now) needed from me and my husband. I have been so scattered this past month and need to focus again.

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you for the reminder about the joyful response (plus treats, for now) needed from me and my husband. I have been so scattered this past month and need to focus again.
I get it. And I find it’s dangerously easy to poison recall when my husband or I are stressed. Using a very specific recall word can help with this, rather than “Come!” which can easily be said with exasperation or even anger. And micro training sessions are much easier to mentally manage than “Okay, now I need to teach recall.” Recall becomes part of life.

Just remember that the reward doesn’t always have to be treats. In fact, I’d argue it shouldn’t always be treats. When Peggy is in play mode, the last thing she wants is to stop for something yummy, especially if it’s dry and crunchy, as treats so often are. So in those situations I might have her come to me before I immediately whip her toy across the yard. There’s no change to the momentum of play. The recall fits seamlessly into the rhythm of fun and actually becomes a part of the fun.

All that said, I do want to work on an emergency recall that stands apart from this everyday “come close to me when I call” work. Something with a unique command that she absolutely cannot refuse, because it’s tied inextricably on a subconscious level to the best thing in the world. Maybe that’s something we could all work on together as a future trick.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Okay, so Basil got 2 feet in the hoop ~30% of the time this morning for our training session. It was definitely progression and I was super surprised when she did it the first time. "Omg it's working!!" Type of moment. I didn't record it, but it's definitely progression.

Once or twice I showed her myself by standing in the hoop then eating chicken too. I feel like she's intelligent enough to understand "copy Dad, get chicken".

Hopefully tomorrow better.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't have a video to share, but Hugo has learned to jump through the hula hoop when I hold it upright and resting on the ground or when I hold it a few inches above the ground. I used the command word "through." He has also learned to go sit "in" the hoop when it's lying on the ground and to come "out" of the hoop. He learns much more quickly than I do!

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay, it's almost EOTM and here's our progress thus far.

You guys are doing amazing!! I’m impressed she has the awareness to put her back feet in the hoop. That’s really great work.

Not sure what your plans are, but my advice at this point would be to work on a rhythm of single command-execution-click-reward.

There were times Basil seemed to be guessing at what you wanted, which melted me because I love that she is so eager to please you. :love: But ideally you want to give her a chance to understand and follow a command before moving onto the next.

Not sure if it’s “correct,” but the way I usually tackle this is by pausing, repeating the command a single time, then waiting until Peggy executes it. Because I had to repeat myself, I will mark it with a yes, but I won’t typically reward (unless she’s still learning the command, in which case I always click and treat). I then ask for it again and then give a food reward for snappy compliance.

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't have a video to share, but Hugo has learned to jump through the hula hoop when I hold it upright and resting on the ground or when I hold it a few inches above the ground. I used the command word "through." He has also learned to go sit "in" the hoop when it's lying on the ground and to come "out" of the hoop. He learns much more quickly than I do!
Love it! These are super useful behaviours that apply to sooo many situations! Way to go. :)

Did you encounter any challenges along the way?

For me, the hardest part is always on my end. Once I figure out how to explain what I want, we’re good.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I hadn’t intended to join your trick this month, especially since I don own a hula hoop. But guess what we did in obedience class this week?

The trainers put out 1) a Klimb dog training table, 2) a piece of rubber floor mat or cardboard and 3) a hula hoop. All three objects were placed in front of each dog. We had to ask our dog to sit and lay down with each object. It was a nice exercise to train up on the table to sit, on the funny surface or in the hula hoop. Then we had to go around to each of the dogs three objects and do the same. There were 6 dogs so we had to do this 6 times. By moving to the different areas we added in the distraction of the smells of the other dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I hadn’t intended to join your trick this month, especially since I don own a hula hoop. But guess what we did in obedience class this week?

The trainers put out 1) a Klimb dog training table, 2) a piece of rubber floor mat or cardboard and 3) a hula hoop. All three objects were placed in front of each dog. We had to ask our dog to sit and lay down with each object. It was a nice exercise to train up on the table to sit, on the funny surface or in the hula hoop. Then we had to go around to each of the dogs three objects and do the same. There were 6 dogs so we had to do this 6 times. By moving to the different areas we added in the distraction of the smells of the other dogs.
What a great—and challenging!—exercise. How did Theo do? Is he easily distracted by other dogs?

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
No shockingly he did fabulous. All the other dogs are large mostly German shepherds and bark. And this was a challenging exercise.

He had never seen a Klimb table but he went up and sat as asked.

I’m loving this particular class. Very innovative. We’re using puzzle toys to teach sit and down as well as training them to send different directions. We have two food puzzles 6’ apart.One puzzle the dog has to flip open. The other they pull a knob to slide open. We stand 6’ away. Trainers assistants fill the puzzles so treat reward comes from puzzle not me or trainer.

I say sit then send Theo either right or left to get rewarded. Then I call him back to down then back to the other puzzle.

At home we have to loose leash walk around the puzzles and if Theo keeps his attention on me I can send him to a puzzle for reward. We’re working on this.

This is the puzzle. They separated it into separate parts. Each puzzle is fit snuggly into a custom cut holes in foam floor mat so the puzzles are stable and don’t move.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You guys are doing amazing!! I’m impressed she has the awareness to put her back feet in the hoop. That’s really great work.

Not sure what your plans are, but my advice at this point would be to work on a rhythm of single command-execution-click-reward.

There were times Basil seemed to be guessing at what you wanted, which melted me because I love that she is so eager to please you. :love: But ideally you want to give her a chance to understand and follow a command before moving onto the next.

Not sure if it’s “correct,” but the way I usually tackle this is by pausing, repeating the command a single time, then waiting until Peggy executes it. Because I had to repeat myself, I will mark it with a yes, but I won’t typically reward (unless she’s still learning the command, in which case I always click and treat). I then ask for it again and then give a food reward for snappy compliance.
Thank you. Oh okay. Yeah, we'll try your approach.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts