Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome back to Trick Club!

This month we’re going to play with hula hoops. Key word: Play! No pressure.

Yes, you can train your poodle to soar through the hoop like a circus dog. But you can also:

Work on “In,” laying the hoop flat and asking your poodle to step into the hoop with their front feet or all four.

Trick Club: September 2020

With the hoop still flat, try “Around.” Teach your poodle to navigate around the hoop while you stand back.

Interested in clicker shaping? Try a variation of “101 Things To Do With A Box,” replacing the box with your hoop.

101 Things to Do with a Box | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/dog-tricks-with-box/

Have you trained a “Through” or “Under”command? Rest the hoop on the ground and teach your poodle that yummy things await on the other side! This tutorial uses a hoop, but I started out by teaching Peggy to walk under a laundry drying rack. ¯\(ツ)

Teach Your Dog to Jump Through a Hoop – American Kennel Club

You can do all of the above or none of the above. Just set a goal for the month, even if it’s “simply” (not always so simple!) encouraging a nervous poodle’s interest in the hoop. All I ask is that you share it with us. :)

Remember: Trick training should always be poodle-led, meaning you don’t push your pup beyond his or her physical or psychological limits. Anything repetitive is going to take a toll on joints, so choose your activities and surfaces carefully. Keep sessions short and age-appropriate. And always, always: Have fun!

Happy Training!

Robin & Peggy

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
151 Posts
We have a hula hoop! She already knew "hup" so that was easy. Apple is turning 1 next week, so I typically only practice 5-10 jumps max. I just did the two indoors on the hard floors to show off for y'all. :)

The "go around" looked fun so we are giving that one a whirl for this month! She had a hard time not stepping into the hoop when she went around it, so I propped the hoop up a bit to make it easier. Once she masters this, I'll lower it to the ground. Good hind end awareness activity here!

We're going to keep working on it!

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a hula hoop! She already knew "hup" so that was easy. Apple is turning 1 next week, so I typically only practice 5-10 jumps max. I just did the two indoors on the hard floors to show off for y'all. :)

The "go around" looked fun so we are giving that one a whirl for this month! She had a hard time not stepping into the hoop when she went around it, so I propped the hoop up a bit to make it easier. Once she masters this, I'll lower it to the ground. Good hind end awareness activity here!

We're going to keep working on it!
Sooooo cute! You guys make the most precious team. Love seeing you work together. :)

I frequently ask Peggy to go around the dining room table and other random objects. It’s a practical trick that also makes me giggle. I always sing “Therrrre sheee goes....” as she disappears around the side of the table.

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peggy and I are working on navigating a hula hoop, hands-free.

A while ago I tried propping it up as part of a little agility course. She had no problem going through it until.....gasp!.....it fell on her. The nerve! Since then she’s been a little suspicious. So this month we’re going to teach her that it’s No Big Deal.

Because I first taught “through” using an old laundry drying rack, I decided to take her back to basics. It’s not the drying rack she’s worried about here. It’s the dreaded propped-up hoop:

We try again and she does great. So what do I do? End on a good note? Nope. I push for another. :rolleyes:

See that sniffing at the end? That’s Peggy’s way of telling me she’s stressed by what we’re doing. So I change the mood by putting down the camera and doing a few commands she loves, and then I try one more time before calling it a day:

Look at that good girl. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goal 1 - Complete! Zero fear. That went much faster than I thought. :love:

She’s even started going through it on her own.

Now we need to come up with a new goal!

@Basil_the_Spoo, how is Basil liking her new hula hoop? Did it arrive yesterday?

@94Magna_Tom, does Elroy still think his is a great new chew toy?

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
1,959 Posts
We brought it out again for a little self control training. We're working on reducing his eagerness to take it as a chew toy. Making a little progress, but have only tried once since trick club post. It'll be part of the training for the month. I'm confident he can do it!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You may notice the hoop is a little mis-shapen, but that's in the past now (or is it?)! Anyway, Elroy didn't need too much encouragement to go thru the hoop. Here's a little preview! I didn't work on around just yet...he's had a busy day already!

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may notice the hoop is a little mis-shapen, but that's in the past now (or is it?)! Anyway, Elroy didn't need too much encouragement to go thru the hoop. Here's a little preview! I didn't work on around just yet...he's had a busy day already!
He’s a pro! And what a cool setup. Looks like you can easily adjust it up or down?

At Elroy’s age, you probably want the hoop resting on the ground most of the time. I know you know this @94Magna_Tom but others might not. :)

What’s holding the hoop in place?

And do you use food rewards?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
He’s a pro! And what a cool setup. Looks like you can easily adjust it up or down?

At Elroy’s age, you probably want the hoop resting on the ground most of the time. I know you know this @94Magna_Tom but others might not. :)

What’s holding the hoop in place?

And do you use food rewards?
The tripod is an old easle stand and each of its 3 legs can be adjusted any which way. I used 2 hand operated spring clamps for holding the hoop, so yes its easily adjusted up/down. And yes, I am still using food rewards.
I know to keep the hoop low, but on the ground seems unnecessary? I have it at about 8" now. I only had him go thru the hoop about 10 times so I don't think it's too many reps. What do you you all think? He definitely gets more leg action all by himself during regular play sessions.

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oooh! I think we’ve got some similar clamps collecting dust in the garage. I may have to claim them for Peggy.

As for jump height, I’m not sure there’s a one-size-fits-all answer. I’m guessing it’s just a matter of balancing height with reps. Surface is also a factor. Yours looks like a pretty perfect set-up to my untrained eye.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
This is us.

We're as square 1 as it gets from an instructor/instructee prospective.

We would like to get to stand in the hoop because when Grandma/Grandpa are in the kitchen, then we would like Basil in a predictable spot.

However, one challenge is being knowledgeable to teach the trick too, so I'll need to do more studying.

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is us.

We're as square 1 as it gets from an instructor/instructee prospective.

We would like to get to stand in the hoop because when Grandma/Grandpa are in the kitchen, then we would like Basil in a predictable spot.

However, one challenge is being knowledgeable to teach the trick too, so I'll need to do more studying.

You’re doing great! Any luck teaching her to stand in the hoop? You might find this video useful:

Eventually you should be able to point at just about anything and she’ll go hang out there and wait for her reward. :)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You’re doing great! Any luck teaching her to stand in the hoop? You might find this video useful:

Eventually you should be able to point at just about anything and she’ll go hang out there and wait for her reward. :)
We were just practicing a little, but I just saw your post just now afterwards. In the video she was "rewarding from a distance"? That's new. I've always shoved treats right up to her face. Up close and personal.

Is "rewarding from a distance" an alternative effective method to reward the behavior?

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We were just practicing a little, but I just saw your post just now afterwards. In the video she was "rewarding from a distance"? That's new. I've always shoved treats right up to her face. Up close and personal.

Is "rewarding from a distance" an alternative effective method to reward the behavior?
For sure! I regularly toss treats to Peggy while she’s lounging in her bed. It’s a great way to reinforce her decision to stay there while we eat dinner.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Talking of recall, I still give Rusty a treat every time he comes when called. He is ace at it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts