Poodle Forum banner

Trick Club: October 2020

4K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
Welcome to month two of Trick Club! (Missed month one? Head over here.)

This month's trick is from the AKC intermediate trick dog checklist:

Wave Good-Bye/Hello

As you'll see in this video, "High Five" from the novice checklist is the foundation for this trick:

So it's really a 2-for-1 deal!

As with last month, progress photos and videos are just as welcome as polished photos and videos. We can learn a lot from each other's challenges and successes!

And if your poodle's already a pro at this one, try proofing it in a new location, or add a fun twist. Just don't forget to brag a bit to motivate the rest of us. ;)

Happy training!

Robin & Peggy

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm excited, too! It'll be an interesting challenge for us.

Peggy recently learned to shake a paw, albeit unintentionally. (I was teaching her to paw her Jolly Ball and she quickly generalized the command.) So I think she'll be frustrated at first, wanting to offer up her paw in the usual way.

Definitely a job for the clicker.

#4 ·
This will be fun!

Annie knows wave, but is much better with her right paw than her left. I taught it by generalizing "shake" to a paw target of my hand wherever, then a paw target of my hand high up, then clicking and treating for her bringing her paw up before my hand reached her, more distance, etc.

I'll work on the left, and also doing it from more distance - the DMWYD trick dog titles have a "trick" that's 6 tricks from a certain distance away, and wave sounds like a good one to add to that repetoire.

#6 ·
This will be fun!

Annie knows wave, but is much better with her right paw than her left. I taught it by generalizing "shake" to a paw target of my hand wherever, then a paw target of my hand high up, then clicking and treating for her bringing her paw up before my hand reached her, more distance, etc.

I'll work on the left, and also doing it from more distance - the DMWYD trick dog titles have a "trick" that's 6 tricks from a certain distance away, and wave sounds like a good one to add to that repetoire.
Waving from a distance will be adorable!

#7 · (Edited)
Well, we jumped right in! And sure enough, Peggy was frustrated. She was hitting me and making such loud moaning and groaning sounds, my husband came in to make sure everything was okay. Lol.

I soothed her by going over familiar trick territory, and then snuck in a few more attempts at the end of our 5-minute session. She was much better.

We quickly progressed to her pawing the air if I wave my hand gently out of reach (instead of offering it solidly for a shake). But if I back up at all, she launches at me with both paws outstretched like a grumbly canine Superman. Ack!

Distance will come with time. I'd also like to get her stretching her paw upwards rather than straight ahead. (This is where teaching a high-five first would be beneficial.)

I've chosen a waving gesture as my physical cue and "G'bye!" as my verbal cue.

#9 ·
We're in! The boys already high five fairly well and shake, if you count sort of hitting the offered hand. I try to think of variations on what they already know and today, I got a crazy notion of trying to teach them to high five each other LOL.

I think this trick has a far better chance of success :).

#13 ·
Try it! No advanced obedience needed, purely for fun. I find with Annie, the more things we have underway, the sharper and faster her 'real' obedience is. I guess she doesnt get bored. Plus, if you are in class and your dog starts to get bored (cough, Annie, cough) you can throw in some fun tricks as a mental break. If you can teach him to sit, you can teach the other trick commands!

#14 ·
Ha! Very relatable. It's all about clear communication, isn't it? Learning to speak poodle.

That's great that he understood your request to reach higher. If you've got the patience for it, I'd just pull your hand a little further out of reach each day...like an inch or two. (Unless, of course, you're using a clicker. I find a clicker lets you go quite a bit faster.)

#17 ·
I persevered with the same paw, just practising in very short sessions (fewer than five reps) and then quickly jumping to some tricks she knows well to keep her confidence up. She can now differentiate between the two physical cues: just an extended, static hand (palm up) for shake or a waving hand for wave.

Progressing to standing up while giving her the cue has helped. (Yesterday I was sitting on the floor with her.) It also helps to keep my waving hand at my hip rather than extended out in front of me, and keep the wave very controlled. No big movements, as they seem to invite her to jump forward.

She's wiped out now:

"I surrender."

#20 ·
Not easy to capture! I'll need to get video:

And here she is from my perspective:

This is by far her cutest trick yet, and the transition from shake to wave went surprisingly fast. The hardest part was getting her to stay put when I backed out of reach, but I think that will vary a lot according to each dog's temperament.

Peggy's the type that, if she doesn't get it right the first time, she'll throw everything she knows at me in the span of about three exasperated seconds. So it was up to me to slow her down and hold her focus. For the first time ever, I did that with eye contact.

Very cool feeling our bond deepen. :)

#22 ·
Good job, Fluffy!!

I'm shelving the verbal cue for now, which seems to be the best approach with Peggy.

My verbal cues are a little sloppy, I think. They tend to confuse her. I'm guessing she hears variations in my tone and enunciation that I'm not aware of. I also tend to change the verbal cue as the trick develops. For example, I wanted this to be a wave goodbye, but found myself just naturally saying "Hiii Peggy!" Silly, inconsistent human.

The issue we're facing now is that Peggy seems to think she's supposed to jump forward after every wave. I think she's still trying to reach my hand, even though I'm now consistently standing five feet away.

Correcting this is proving challenging because I'm using a clicker. So I click for the wave and then she moves. I don't want to not click for the wave.... But maybe that's what I should do? Start clicking the moment afterwards, if she stays put?

#25 ·
I started teaching Enzo wave a few days ago. He was frustrated the first few times I held my hand out of his reach, even trying sit pretty to see if that was what he wanted. He can wave if I give the visual cue, so I'll have to work on adding the verbal cue. Like when I taught him to go to his crate and lie down, Enzo would let out a big huff and a bark. I don't think he likes waving as much as he likes pawing everything in sight when I say "paw" haha.

#27 ·
It's also a challenging one for Loki. He moved very quickly from "shake paw" to "high five" but we're having trouble with "wave." I think for us, it's because I'm having trouble using a consistent visual cue for "wave" and what I want his final "wave" to look like (e.g. exclusively just paw reaching up vs. pawing forward vs. a modified high-five). Our current "wave" is "forward-sweeping high-five/dramatic slap-the-ground."

#29 ·
Based on the poodle see poodle do principle, I'm making sure we make contact for our high fives and moving slightly out of reach while waving my hand in a normalish gesture for wave. I'm getting a response that could be considered a wave :).

I'm getting pretty good results with both boys on this, so yay. I decided to use the verbal of just "wave", figuring if I toss in "wave...hi" or "...bye" they'll key on "wave" regardless.

I like Loki's version, tho :). I had a moment of wondering how to teach a royal wave but quickly realized the unlikely chance of success lol.

#30 ·
I like Loki's version, tho :). I had a moment of wondering how to teach a royal wave but quickly realized the unlikely chance of success lol.
To be honest, I think it's him reaching the point of exasperation and merging "shake paw" and "high-five".... if individually they don't work, adding them together must be right, right? /poodlemath 😂

#31 ·
I keep forgetting to take some video but both boys sorta mostly have Wave down. They both were pretty good with Shake (right paw) and High Five (left paw) so I tried to introduce a repeated motion for Wave.

Remo will give a couple of leg and paw motions, almost looking like a wave but Neo's is a bit stiffer, a bit more of a salute lol. I'll set a reminder for myself to see if I can a video up before the deadline.

#32 ·
As we approach the end of October, I'm wondering how everyone else ultimately fared? Were you able to get some video, @Rose n Poos? I can't get enough of Remo and Neo.

On our end, I scrapped the verbal altogether and am consistently getting a "wave" back when I wave my hand at hip level. At one point I actually had to retrain SIT (lol) as Peggy had started sitting and waving. This has definitely been the most challenging trick we've worked on yet and I'm still not entirely sure why.

As always, if you've got any input on next month, send it my way. I'm thinking something super basic to help us recover from this one. ;)

#34 ·
Here's our submission. My super confident goal was to work on doing this at a distance. Yeah well.... Instead i discovered at a distance my wave cue looks way too much like 'down' so have been working on a verbal cue instead. "Hmm, you didn't want a down? How abouts I flop over instead?" Uh, nope. "Cross my paws?" Nope.

Both of us kinda suck at verbal cues, and i, ahem, forgot about this for most of the month, so here is Annie's submission. Now on a verbal cue. Oh! And then because she is so visual cue based, photographing this motion while kneeling was a PAIN (obviously me holding a phone is a cue, right?)

Annie 'Say Hello!"

#37 ·
Here's our submission. My super confident goal was to work on doing this at a distance. Yeah well.... Instead i discovered at a distance my wave cue looks way too much like 'down' so have been working on a verbal cue instead. "Hmm, you didn't want a down? How abouts I flop over instead?" Uh, nope. "Cross my paws?" Nope.

Both of us kinda suck at verbal cues, and i, ahem, forgot about this for most of the month, so here is Annie's submission. Now on a verbal cue. Oh! And then because she is so visual cue based, photographing this motion while kneeling was a PAIN (obviously me holding a phone is a cue, right?)

Annie 'Say Hello!"

View attachment 470738
She looks so elegant. Such a pretty wave!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.