Poodle Forum banner

Trick Club: March 2021

3K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  Rose n Poos 
#1 ·
Thanks for participating in the poll to select this month’s trick. The winnner is...

Spin in circle!

This is such a fun trick from the novice list—for poodles and their humans!—and it’s also a great crowd pleaser.

Here’s a good video to get you started:

Be sure to choose a unique verbal cue for clockwise and counterclockwise. Some people use “spin” and “twist.” I like to keep it super simple with “right” and “left.” You may find your poodle naturally prefers one direction over the other, but there’s no reason not to teach both at the same time. If your poodle’s anything like Peggy, they’ll appreciate the variety. :)

As always, we love photos and videos! Whether you’re teaching this trick or have already taught it, I hope you’ll share a little of your process.

Happy training!
Robin & Peggy

P.S. Missed a previous month? It's never too late! Catch up on tricks from September, October, November, December, January, and February.

See less See more
#3 ·
We've got this one down! WHOO!! Finally a trick clulb trick we can do!

(Actually now that she is older, I bet we can do most of the trick club tricks.) I'm excited to join you all!

Here is Apple Butter showing off her left/right in the middle of a good game of fetch.

Yaaaaaay! Nailed it! And holy smokes is she ever CUTE. She really looks like she’s having fun.

#6 ·
For anyone who wants to give this a try tonight, here’s the easiest way to start:

I’m a little awkward because I’m holding the camera, but keep it slow and deliberate. If Peggy gently nibbles at a lure, I’m fine with that. It keeps her engaged and tightly following my hand.

Her finished spin is a little different from Apple Butter’s sweet & peppy version:

Can you even call that a spin?? I’m not so sure, Peggy... We might need lessons from Miss Butter.

We also do a travelling version:

#15 ·
I finally got started on this trick. Both boys will spin "right" with lure and Remo's starting to go with verbal or signal only. Neo's fairly spinny with lure, don't know if he'll see why he should without one :).
Going left is right out.

A slight complicating factor is that we've done "Circle" on back two legs for some time now so we have the occasional elevation changes mid spin lol.

I'll also try to get some video.

#16 ·
I finally got started on this trick. Both boys will spin "right" with lure and Remo's starting to go with verbal or signal only. Neo's fairly spinny with lure, don't know if he'll see why he should without one :).
Going left is right out.

A slight complicating factor is that we've done "Circle" on back two legs for some time now so we have the occasional elevation changes mid spin lol.

I'll also try to get some video.
Excited to see video of your cute little guys in action!

Peggy occasionally decides to go fully airborne whilst spinning. We call it her triple axle.

#23 ·
Puppy classes are about socialization to new sights, sounds, smells, and textures, and very basic obedience for the purpose of learning how to settle. For example, laying on a mat and watching all the action. They’re important to do at a young age so you catch that early socialization window, when puppies are less likely to be fearful of new things. As they get older, positive experiences and associations from those formative months will stick with them.

They can for sure still learn new tricks and obedience as they get older. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.