Poodle Forum banner

Trick Club: February 2021

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
Poodle friends, this month we’re going to learn a super cute trick that was inspired by a conversation I had with @Asta's Mom. It’s from the AKC intermediate list and also happens to have many practical applications:

Head down!

Here’s a video tutorial:

And here’s another video tutorial, with a bonus trick at the end:

The bonus trick combines “Head down” with the very first trick we worked on, all the way back in September. Remember what it was? Peggy sure does!

I love that this month’s trick puts a natural rest pose on cue, which can have a positive effect on dogs who ask for attention in undesirable ways. It also looks very cute in photos. :) Hope to see some of yours!

Happy training!
Robin & Peggy

P.S. Missed a previous month? It's never too late! Check out Trick Club: September, Trick Club: October, Trick Club: November, Trick Club: December, and Trick Club: January.

See less See more
2 1
#9 · (Edited)
Love the video!!

We haven’t had any luck. Remy is only 6 months old so I’m wondering if he’s too young for this right now. Hopefully we will go back to it down the road. I taught him to “give paw” instead. I wanted to keep it positive.

I think I taught chin down to my parti boy when he was older. I also added a visual cue - when I nodded my head, he would chin down - no verbal command needed. It’s a fun addition to the behavior.

#12 ·
It was around Remy’s age I tried to teach Peggy to roll over, and we made only minor progress. I, too, decided it was best to move onto something else.

I think it’s important to recognize which challenges are good challenges, and which are better shelved for a different day....or dog. Lol.

#10 ·
Well, Annie has taught herself a version of this trick. I like to sit on the small step leading down to an addition, which is also right next to a heating register on one side and the dryer, running on the other (read toasty and warm), and eat snacks. Annie has taught herself to stand behind me and do a chin rest on my shoulder, in hopes of acquiring some yoghurt/cheese/etc. It's so ridiculously cute that I give in. I have even accidentally taught duration by trying to resist for a while. Clever poodle.

I have been lazy so have no where near the duration on the actual cued version. Good job Peggy and Robin!

#14 ·
It’s tricky when they overlap like that. Maybe a chair between you would help? That’s what I’ve started using to build duration:

Furniture Property Comfort Wood Chair

I also find a clicker helpful for capturing small movements. That’s what I used when I initially trained this. Makes me think I should pull it out again and revisit our nemesis, rollover.

#20 ·
Since Asta generalizes so well I look for commands or behaviors that he already knows. He will place his chin down periodically so I am just teaching the command - Chin - whenever I see the behavior. Eventually with my help he will make the connection.

#21 ·
Here’s an interesting little blog post about this method:

Do you ever use a clicker when you’re capturing behaviours?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.