Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When teaching your dogs conformation, what treats do you use?

Even though I can't show Maddie, I thought it would still be good
practice to handstack her and teach her to walk "properly," on
a leash like they do in dog shows. I would prefer a nice soft treat
that she would have no problem eating with her little teethies, lol.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Something that is soft and has a distinct smell. Personally I opt for hot dogs since they are tasty, easy to deal with, and not expensive and I can determine what size for them to be. (I have a 3 pound dog, you can't find bite size treats really for him so hot dogs are ideal)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hot dogs, cheese, lunch meat etc. I personally like to use people food because there are many times you will need to put a piece of food somewhere and between my lips it the best place. I also like to use jerky. Only thing with that is some dogs want to shred it and they end up pulling them selves back to pull on the jerky and the stack looks like bad.

Mickey loves that kraft singles cheese. Even after it's gone I still pretend I have bait in my hand and he licks away.

UKC doesn't always let you bait your dog. It depends on the judge so if you go out UKC have bait on you that has a strong smell. You can rub your fingers on it before you hit the ring. It help's a lot if your dog is bait motivated.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My personal favorite for my guys here is cooked liver or lamb fry. You will have them eating out of your hand. I boil it in water, yes it leave a bad wofting smell in your kitchen ewwwwwwwww. But cut into little portions and everytime they do as you have asked give them a small amount.

Do overdo it though, they get the runs :eek:

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose likes ice.

I also use his normal food and that works great too :)

We got some treats but he doesn't care what it is so we opted to save $ and use normal food :)

-Todd

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moose likes ice.

I also use his normal food and that works great too :)

We got some treats but he doesn't care what it is so we opted to save $ and use normal food :)

-Todd
LOL, I use normal dog food from time to time too!:p

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only thing that Inca and Coco will work for is dried tripe, cut into very small pieces. It smells absolutely disgusting but they would follow it to the end of the world. It also has the advantage of leaving its smell on your hands so can be used when no bait is allowed. Just don't stand too near to your friends (if they are not doggy people).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts