Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is about my maltipoo, Jasper. For the past few months I was hopeful that I was going to get a new job and be able to move back with my family, which is where Jasper currently lives, but the job fell through. Jasper has been living with my parents since last November; I had to send him to live with my parents due to the noise complaints my apartment manager had received. When living in the apartment, Jasper experienced pretty severe separation anxiety. He does not show signs of separation anxiety in my parents' house when one or even all people leave, so this does not occur across environments. I even set up the same routine for leaving the apartment when he was living with me, but it didn't seem to help.

Now that the job fell through, I am trying to create a plan to bring him back to live with me in my apartment. I am hopeful that Miracle, who has been just fine living in the apartment, will help Jasper to feel less anxious. I also have decided not to crate him and give him run of the apartment, because this helped Miracle when she was anxious.

I also would like to try some sort of supplement or medication. When I took Jasper to the vet in July, the vet recommended natural supplements for his anxiety. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with supplements or experience with medication to help their pets with anxiety?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Its very hard to cure a dog from anxiety. I have one with generalized anxiety disorder (Merlin) and the other one with separation anxiety (Beckie).

When I leave the house, Beckie will howl and scream until I come back. The solution I have found and that seems to work so far is to not give her access to look out the window. Leaving her in a closed room without an outside view works for her. No medication.

If all fails, since your dog is happy with your parents, is there a possibility he could live with them ? I know this would be hard, but sometimes we have to think of them first, even if it means breaking our hearts.

·
Registered
913 Posts
After trying all the natural options (dog appeasing pheromone, anxitane, zylkene, rescue remedy, thunder shirt) my storm/noise sensitive beagle-X is on alprazolam (Xanax). If there is a bad storm expected, she also takes trazodone, which is a tranquilizer. I’m sorry to have waited so long because of the effect that her fears had on her. My sister’s yorkie recently developed separation anxiety (her neighbor reported that Teddy would bark when left alone) and her vet, after some resistance, prescribed alprazolam.

I know others who are using different medications so I believe that it is similar to humans where the right anti-depressant can be trial and error.

Funny aside, I accidentally took my dogs med one morning, mistaking it for my own, and it had a strong effect, sending me to bed to sleep it off. When I mentioned this to a vet friend, she said that the dosage for a dog is more than double the human dosage.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Try CBD oil. It has been really helpful for Peeves' noise anxieties. He used to get decent relief from Rescue Remedy, but we recently had the overwhelming combination of thunder and fireworks all in the same night. He did not get relief from the RR so we tried this on recommendation of a friend. There is a FB group called CBD Oil for Pets you might want to check out.

That said since you don't have immediate prospects for changing your living arrangements I might also consider leaving Jasper at your parents if possible. To keep changing things up on him isn't going to be good for him and I wouldn't necessarily expect that he will appreciate your apartment any more with medication than not. When the last of my cats was older and Lily and Javelin were puppies I sent her to my mom's for her last year and a half or so. My mom was happy to have her since she had no pet at the time and it was better for my cat since she didn't have to worry about two (to her way of seeing it) gigantic puppies chasing her around. Everybody's stress levels went way down.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look into the above suggestions...my first trial of bringing him back to my apartment is going to be next weekend. I also am going to go against my previous trainer's advice and give him run of my apartment, which helped Miracle.

I get the suggestion of leaving him with my parents, but unfortunately, this is not a long-term solution. My parents are older, their health is declining, and I am not sure how much longer they will be able to remain in a house setting. They also have their own dog with special needs to take care of. Where I currently live, housing is just so expensive that renting a house isn't even an option, but shared walls are tough for him during the adjustment period. When he has adjusted to a setting, he can be very calm and relaxed, so I am hoping medication or a supplement will help during this period. This also would be his first time living in my apartment with another dog, which I also hope will help.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Try CBD oil. It has been really helpful for Peeves' noise anxieties. He used to get decent relief from Rescue Remedy, but we recently had the overwhelming combination of thunder and fireworks all in the same night. He did not get relief from the RR so we tried this on recommendation of a friend. There is a FB group called CBD Oil for Pets you might want to check out.
A local feed store manager is just now adding an organic version. The manager had returned from an expo in Denver and is excited to add this. I’m wondering if they can meet the cost of my Rx, which is <$10/month. When I saw a similar pet product at our food co-op it was $40. He expects a demand for human use as well.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Aww that is too bad that your parents have enough issues that they can't keep him. I understand your situation better now. I am sorry it is so complex. I hope something works out of the suggestions you've gotten here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts