Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after a year of watching for a sale price, I bit the bullet and bought a Treat & Train. I just pulled it out of the box, read the Quick Start guide, and filled it with the Farmina food PtP has been raving about. Violet was ready to work. I hit the dispense button on the remote a few times to see if the machine noise or bell would scare her (nope) and she happily scarfed down the two or three mini kibbles that came out.

Next step according to the guide was to treat her every time she looked at me. What follows is a video of her figuring it out and me trying to press the remote on time. I think it’s fascinating to watch her learn. Notice Navy’s sweater-ed butt to the right of the screen: he is laying in front of the fireplace totally unimpressed with Farmina and the Treat n Train.

Next I added a target stick, and changed the criteria to rewarding a target nose bump. I was impressed that she figured it out in less than 5 minutes. This video might be long and boring for some, but it shows her learning and thinking.

I hope this helps anyone else who has thought about getting this. I have other training plans that include distance training in agility and a different way to reward quiet crate behavior at class.
Violet will be having a surgery on Thursday, so we will be missing our nosework and agility classes for a while. When she’s ready we’ll continue this type of low key training in the house to keep her mind busy while she’s healing.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Ahhhh, that moment when you see it connect!

Reactions: Newport

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
So much fun watching her figure it out! And I bet it was fun for her, too. What a great idea for surgical recovery.

I'm so glad she's enjoying the Farmina (even if Navy was unimpressed lol). Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters are another good one for training! We go through at least half a cup every evening. Peggy likes the beef flavour.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I just dusted off my treat and train, last used when my 5 yo spoo was a puppy. I'm currently on a breeder's puppy list, though that's very dependent on puppy compatibility with my current dog, so I'm waiting for the evaluations to be completed to find out for sure. It's a long shot, but none the less I'm preparing.

I also just ordered the smaller Ready Treat, from Clean Run through their seasonal sales, for agility training. One of my training partners has used this successfully on the agility course. Should be interesting with my spoo, who quickly learned how to pick up the Treat and Train as a puppy.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Violet is a smart poodle, she figured it out quickly.

Like Scooterscout, mine is packed away in the basement. I haven’t used in a few years. It was so handy to train “complete” the weave poles and go out to the next jump. I randomly used it or throwing toys.

It’s so large that it was awkward to bring to the club so I would have been interested in the smaller Ready Treat. My club has one but my dog has food allergies so I was concerned with potential contamination from other dog treats.

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s interesting to hear how some of you have used this device over the years. It sounds like something that is frequently packed away, lol. Maybe I’ll hold on to the box.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I watched the videos all the way through. :)

The impulsive side of me says "buy now", but this seems like an intermediate training tool that Basil and I aren't ready yet.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basil,
It comes with extensive training information including a 3 hour DVD and a spiral-bound instruction manual that absolutely starts at step one. Everything is broken down into incremental steps for those who are interested in following the program provided. The advertised end goal is a dog that no longer has terrible door manners (barking, lunging, escaping). It can absolutely be used with a puppy. It’s versatile in that it has been used in creative ways by all kinds of trainers. I think the downsides are cost and size, not age or training history of the dog. If you decide to try it, I’d be interested in hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Basil,
It comes with extensive training information including a 3 hour DVD and a spiral-bound instruction manual that absolutely starts at step one. Everything is broken down into incremental steps for those who are interested in following the program provided. The advertised end goal is a dog that no longer has terrible door manners (barking, lunging, escaping). It can absolutely be used with a puppy. It’s versatile in that it has been used in creative ways by all kinds of trainers. I think the downsides are cost and size, not age or training history of the dog. If you decide to try it, I’d be interested in hearing your experiences.
Hmmm 🤔. That's good to know. We/I am needing to sharpen in the obedience department. I have some unclaimed space still in my tiny apt.

This has definitely made it to the next step of the procurement process and has physically been written down where I look at Basil's expenses, possible purchases, & commodity costs. I'll have to mill it around in my head for a few days and make some steps to budget it out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My agility teacher is using it to train quite crate behavior at the dog training club. Another friend used it to teach her dog calming behavior in the x-pen while the family ate dinner.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Violet wanted to play TNT (treat n train) today. I know because she was walking on her back legs looking at it where it sat on top of the bookshelf. I put it inside her crate and was practicing target touches, with going inside the crate to get her treat. I was moving myself all around the living room. At the point I was behind the recliner with the target my husband informed me that another dog was investigating the TNT. Navy, after 24 hours of holding out, had finally decided something interesting must be going on with this thing. I put Violet in another room, and treated Navy first for showing interest/being near the TNT, then for giving me eye contact. He was easily startled by the noise and looked a bit afraid at times, but grew in confidence quickly and stayed engaged. He could have walked away at any time. Both dogs have been keeping a close eye on me since. Apparently I’m much more interesting now. 😄

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I do, PtP. I do. And I have the remote to prove it.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
This has me interested too. FWIW, if you shop Bed Bath and Beyond, their 20% off coupon works. I haven't sprung for it, but that was good to find out.

I online saw that Dr. Sophia Yin had something to do with development of the T&T.

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Yep! It was originally called the Manners Minder:

I think we know what's Peggy's getting for her birthday this year!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yay! We will have a whole TNT club going here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts