Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got Max trotting on the treadmill today. I decided to get a 1/2 hour lesson with a trainer and it was worth it. He got us past the point of turning the belt on! Max did great. Next step is to try it at home. I'll try to get a little video snippet when we get going.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had been working with him to get him on the treadmill and get him used to the sounds but I couldn't get past the point of turning it on.

It was surprisingly easy and the trainer was amazed. He said it is usually more of a challenge. Max didn't get freaked out, kept his tail high and accepted treats. He still wants to get off and isn't excited about getting on but I'm doing just a few minutes a day and trying to build it up until he likes it.

One thing he did differently was have the treadmill along a wall and always have him exit through the front.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am new at this, so please dont think I am being rude or retarted, but why would you put a dog on a tredmill? just wanted to know?

·
Registered
912 Posts
LOL not rude or retard :smile: any question is a good one and you should feel free to ask as it stimulates conversation :smile:

Could be a few reasons txtori - just for exercise if your unable to walk the dog due to weather conditions outside. Many people find it just takes the edge of the dog so your not left with a hyper dog that hasn't had any exercise for days on end.

OR for actual physical fitness training. I use to have greyhounds and there is no way you can run them for the distance required to build proper muscle so three times a week they went on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I probably would have asked the same thing before I moved to Pittsburgh. So much of the winter is so cold, snowy and messy that Max just wasn't getting enough exercise. We used to go for daily walks and run at the dogpark at least 3-4 times a week.

He is a well behaved dog in general but his behavior is noticeably better when he has had exercise! I'm taking it slow just putting him on each day for a short time. We're up to 3 mph for 6.5 minutes. I wouldn't say he loves it yet but he gets on willingly and waits until I tell him before getting off.

So far so good!

Just realized we're posting at the same time Blue Fox : )

·
Registered
329 Posts
ok need some tips. Sam is still not his best but the vet said he could go for walks as tolerated a little at a time to try to build him back up and get his excess weight off. He has lost quite a bit, not sure how much though because his vet had a fire and when I took him in they didn't have their scale. Anyway I thought maybe a few minutes a day on the treadmill would be great. He lays right next to it when I'm on it so he's not scared of it and he is really not scared of anything (other than the dark, LOL). I have never had a problem with him in new situations, he always goes with the flow and will let anyone do anything to him without a fuss. So I didn't expect to have any problem. Well, how wrong I was. He didn't like it one bit and at first would just not walk, he'd just slide right off the back, LOL! Well I got him walking but very reluctantly and the main problem is he keeps walking forward too far and stepping on the area in front of the belt. I think if I could keep him from doing that he might feel better about it. So any tips? Have to admit I did little research before putting him on, so I probably did alot wrong.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Max was the same way at first. This is what the trainer had me do. It helps to have two people when you get to the point of starting the belt. I also have Max hang out in the room with me when I'm on the treadmill in the mornings. The first time I tried to get him on it we backtracked to the point of him hiding at the top of the stairs as far as he could get from the treadmill. I had to build his trust back with baby steps.

1. put it on a wall so that one side is blocked
2. give him treats for getting on the treadmill or even getting near it. Depending on how nervous he is do it a couple times a day for several days
3. give him treats for sitting near the treadmill while it is beeping and running. get him used to the noises. have him in the room while you use it.
4. tell him to get on. one of you block the side and hold his collar. the other kneel in front and coax him and hold treats
5. start slow and don't force him but give little nudges to get him walking.
6. give a command to get him to jump thru the front (not the side or back) only after it stops. Make him wait so that he doesn't anticipate that and do it on his own.
7. do short little sessions and "throw him a party" ie: yay! good boy! each time to make it fun. play for a few minutes and try again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Max was the same way at first. This is what the trainer had me do. It helps to have two people when you get to the point of starting the belt. I also have Max hang out in the room with me when I'm on the treadmill in the mornings. The first time I tried to get him on it we backtracked to the point of him hiding at the top of the stairs as far as he could get from the treadmill. I had to build his trust back with baby steps.

1. put it on a wall so that one side is blocked
2. give him treats for getting on the treadmill or even getting near it. Depending on how nervous he is do it a couple times a day for several days
3. give him treats for sitting near the treadmill while it is beeping and running. get him used to the noises. have him in the room while you use it.
4. tell him to get on. one of you block the side and hold his collar. the other kneel in front and coax him and hold treats
5. start slow and don't force him but give little nudges to get him walking.
6. give a command to get him to jump thru the front (not the side or back) only after it stops. Make him wait so that he doesn't anticipate that and do it on his own.
7. do short little sessions and "throw him a party" ie: yay! good boy! each time to make it fun. play for a few minutes and try again.
Thank you so much for this information...Very helpful!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're welcome. Let us know how it goes. Max is up to 8 minutes a day and he now gets on the treadmill as soon as we enter the room! I don't even have to ask!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts