Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... I heard some good news!

I've been a decade-plus, loyal customer of Air Canada... up until I got Snoops. They had a no pets in the cabin policy. Well, I wrote them a letter and told them their policy sucked and times are different now. These "animals" aren't just pets but they are family and should be considered as well! Unfortunately I would have to take my business elsewhere....

So I switched to American Airlines who allows pets in cabin. However, I'm not fond of AA. Their personnel I find are rude (I overheard one flight attendant call me "stupid" because I was concerned about Snoops on a flight - he was exhibiting stranger than usual behavior). They cancel flights at last minute all the time, there are massive delays, and they charge $100 each way for the pet as well.

The other day, I read that Air Canada would be allowing pets in cabin, starting July 1st, 2009. Hooray! I know it's the hard economic times that forced them to make this change... but what a GREAT change, it is! And they only charge $50/way domestic and $100/way international. I wrote to them to commend them on this move... and to ask for my Elite Status back since I let it lapse... saw no reason to keep it up if I wouldn't be flying with them anymore. Let's see how they respond. I'm cheeky.. I know :D :plane:

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
While I wouldn't mind a poodle in the cabin... I am allergic to other dogs and would HATE to be next to or a row or two from any other type of dog.

I understand where you are coming from 10000000% but there are 100+ other people in the cabin too. Sometimes us pet owners have to make sacrifices and travel other ways, and make special arrangements.

I`m curious why / where do you travel so much your dog goes with you? As from what I've heard cabin or not traveling via plane is not to good for a dog either way... (What do you think of that in your experience?)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Todd - I agree that of course, there are the other passengers to consider on the flight. The airlines has the right to refuse a pet on a flight if it's too crowded, someone has expressed that they are severely allergic etc...

I do think proper screening should be done pre-flight, and only small, "non-yappy" pets should be allowed to fly in-cabin. I am severely allergic to cats and probably wouldn't be able to sit next to one. I would just ask to be re-seated. But I think the pet owner has the right to travel with their pet also. Bottom line, the airline should do their best to accommodate all of their passengers, especially long-standing customers.
I always ask to be seated away from the other passengers - if there is an empty row with not many people nearby. If I am seated next to people, I always ask if they are ok with Snoops being there.

I find that travel has not affected Snoops. He is excellent on flights, except one time when he was spooked by the take-off. We get to our destination and he is ready to go and explore! He may take an extra nap on travel days, but he adjusts really well. I've spoken with my vet about travel with Snoops and he's given us the thumbs-up... no worries.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Well I've never been on a plane in my life, and do notwant to be on one either! :p

Same here Todd, my hubby is allergic to dogs that are not low allergen either like poodles and REALLY allergic to cats although he loves them. Yeah I don't think traveling all the time would be good for your puppy either, maybe you could always find someone to watch him if you must fly elsewhere
unless your going to be there awhile. Do you fly often?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MercyMoon - I would be A-OK with the idea of not having to fly. But yes, I do fly often, and Snoops is always by my side. We drive if we can...
For whatever reasons it may not be good for the pet to fly, the way I see it... "it's a dog's life, you only live once". Snoops seems to enjoy it for the most part. Well.. he enjoys arriving at our destinations, I don't think anyone actually enjoys the "traveling part" of it all. He has a great time wherever he goes! The vet doesn't seem to bothered by it, and doesn't foresee any complications with it. My girlfriend is a vet tech and crazy animal lover at the clinic and hasn't expressed any dismay with Snoops' travel schedule. So that puts me at ease quite a bit :)

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I`m curious how much traveling you do?

Once a month? Twice a month? Every weekend?
Every qrt?

Just curious :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say we fly on average, about 1-2 roundtrips per month.
He rides in the car with us more often then not...
He goes EVERYWHERE :D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
wow - that's a lot of flying - what do you do that causes you to have to fly so much?

have you found that your bag for Snoops fits under the seat well?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Sherpa Deluxe Medium Pet Carrier... the bag doesn't actually have to fit under the seat, but just at your feet (for take off and landing). After that, AA usually lets me put the carrier on the seat next to me (if it's free). Sometimes they even let me take Snoops out so he can sit on my lap. Lately tho, they have been more strict about keeping him in the carrier. I think it depends on who you get for in-cabin crew.

When he was a little baby, I flew with him. I had a little fashion-carrier. He was so content in it, and the airline was ok with it. On the way home, he no longer fit in the carrier! I didn't even stop to think about this (duh!). When we arrived at the airport and I put him in, he was squished. The captain had the flight attendant come and talk to me about this. They let me keep him on my lap. It was terrible tho.. I was such a bad momma. I'm lucky they let us fly, tho it would have been ok with us to fly out the day after with a proper carrier if need be....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Last summer we went to New Mexico and on the way home a woman with a small dog was sitting next to us. The dog did have to be under the seat (they were insistant) not just for take off and landing but for the whole trip (over 5 hours to New York). The dog was crying and did not seem all that comfortable in the bag, my heart went out to it. The woman tried to take it out of the bag and was promptly asked to put it back in. I could hear people sneezing and coughing a few rows away, I'm not usre if it was the dog or not but between all the sneezing and whining it was not a nice flight. I love my dogs more then most people and yes they do go with me everywhere in the car but I think a plane is a lot for them as well as other passengers. Sorry to sound like such a b#$%h but I try to rest on planes as I am a very nervous flyer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts