Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though it is subject to change, as of now we are planning to drive to my parents' for Thanksgiving with the pupper. I think he would do best in a non puppy proofed home if he had some sort of ex pen. The one we have at home is pretty inexpensive so we could just have one shipped there but it seems wasteful as it won't be used once we leave. We could also get of those pop us tent style ones that we could travel with and use other places. Don't know where we will end going these days but we would have it and also be able to use it for pup number 2 eventually. They look very flimsy though. Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
23,856 Posts
Javelin will still "let himself out" from any sort of tent or pop up soft crate. I am stuff dragging a lage wire crate around with me when I take him away from home. I do store one at my club too. I recommend having either a wire crate or one of those plastic ones for smaller breeds. He just has to learn to respect the boundary. We have gates in a couple of places in our house. All of our dogs could clear them, but they all understand and respcet that if they end up stashed behind a gate that is where they are meant to stay without question.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Amazon and Chewy carry a variety of exercise pens. If this is a standard poodle puppy, buy a wire pen that is 48 inches tall. I also suggest buying the matching top panels made from the same wire panels. You'll need 16-20 snaps to secure the "door" and to clip the top panels to the top edges of the pen. People who show dogs have been using these for years. These pens fold up to be 48" x 24" x 2", so they are easy to handle. I have metal flat-backed buckets that have a clip on the bail so I can just hang a bucket for water on the inside of the pen.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
We've got a lightweight 36" pen that would be easily transportable if you've got the car space:

I like that it's configurable in a variety of shapes, and could also be used like a fence or barrier. I'm considering using it to protect our Christmas tree this year.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
(We've worked with Peggy since day 1 to be respectful of lightweight barriers. If you do decide to go this route, and Blueberry is in the habit of jumping up on his current pen, you might want to start training before the excitement of Thanksgiving.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems like the pop up tent kind is not the way to go. But that’s okay. Maybe my folks can find someone to donate the pen to when we are done.

·
Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
I used wire folding crates when Pogo and Snarky did their first family visit at under a year. They were simply too boisterous, and I didn't trust them not to try going over the xpen if I left the room. I kept them leashed and attached to a human when they weren't in their crates.

Their next big family event happened when they were a couple years old. By that time they had more experience with the concept of settling on a mat, and they were also calmer. I used an x-pen to barricade them in one end of the eat-in kitchen. They could watch all the activities from there, and I could chastise them if they started testing the pen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts