Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group,

Has anyone had any experience recently or perhaps in the last year or so, transporting a puppy? I know the virus thing has really caused allot of changes. My dilemma is that I'm purchasing a puppy in Oklahoma and live in California. My first choice would be to get on a flight, take position of the pup and fly out immediately. But with the virus, I really don't want to fly. I also don't want the pup to fly in the cargo hole either. Isn't there a way of having the airlines place the pup/cage in the main cabin or main cabin below floor storage hole that's fully air conditioned, etc?

Any thoughts,

J

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Hi, no to the main cabin unless you are with him and he's small enough to fit in a travel carrier. The place where pets are flown below is pressurized and has air, but he'd be all alone. I've done it, but in the future would fly out myself.

California has wonderful breeders. Maybe reconsider your choice there...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
California has awesome breeders. And my next puppy, which will be soon, (few years) I will certainly go more local. But there are no puppies of my choosing, that I have found, that are ready to go in ALL of northern/southern, CA. (checked with 30 breeders on the west coast) I found a beautiful red, that's not only available in a timely manner, she's 40% cheaper. And from a very good breeder in Oklahoma. If I flew out there, picked her up, and flew back, It would still be $500.00 cheaper than Cal. puppies. That's a sizable amount, and available in my timeline.

J

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
How big is the puppy? Would she fit under the seat?

If not, I would personally fly out, then drive back with a one way car rental. Google Maps says Oklahoma City to California is 22 hours of driving, so a reasonable 2 days drive. Fly in for Friday night, take a hotel or pitch a tent, pick the puppy up early Saturday morning, drive 12 hours, stay in a tent/sleep in the car, home by Sunday evening. Bring a pack of puppy pee pads to line the crate, and think of it as bonding time. My puppy was pretty traumatized (still hates enclosed plastic crates) just from being in an enclosed plastic travel crate on her 5+ hour drive home where I stopped twice to let her out, so i wouldn't personally add to the fear by shipping a puppy in the cargo hold. Also, I'd worry about heat this time of year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here's a good question to follow up with. I've had three Standards in the past. I believe they will fit in an under-seat carry-on cage at 8 weeks.

Is that true?

J

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have no idea - I got my spoo at 12 weeks and she wouldn't have, but they grow like weeds at that age :) I would check a few airlines for their requirements, then ask the breeder to measure the puppy.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Also dogjaunt.com, if the site is still up, has tons of brilliant info on both carriers and aircraft, including seats to avoid and good ones for larger carriers 😊.

·
Super Moderator
1,490 Posts
Also dogjaunt.com, if the site is still up, has tons of brilliant info on both carriers and aircraft, including seats to avoid and good ones for larger carriers 😊.
Great info. I had no idea that site existed.

Galen, who was the runt of his litter, was about 6.5 pounds when I picked him up at 7 1/2 weeks. (Normally I would have waited until 8 or 9 weeks, but I needed to pick him up early due to impending Covid shutdown.) He was around 12 inches tall IIRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
California has awesome breeders. And my next puppy, which will be soon, (few years) I will certainly go more local. But there are no puppies of my choosing, that I have found, that are ready to go in ALL of northern/southern, CA. (checked with 30 breeders on the west coast) I found a beautiful red, that's not only available in a timely manner, she's 40% cheaper. And from a very good breeder in Oklahoma. If I flew out there, picked her up, and flew back, It would still be $500.00 cheaper than Cal. puppies. That's a sizable amount, and available in my timeline.
Hi I'm also looking for a red poodle atm, do you mind sharing the breeder's page? Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know there are allot of things that separate good breeders from others. (In my opinion) History, health, temperament, show results, attention to detail, etc. All of these are important. However I feel color, size, looks, conformation are also very important. I want a healthy, forever companion that has a better chance of hitting the plus side of 13 to 15 years and attractive "to me". My taste doesn't always fall in line with the pros. I like what I like. By dealing with a reputable breeder you hope you have a better handle on the DNA history/health of the animal. It's like the old jokes about being able to marry your first cousin. The biggest issues with a dog is if it's prone to a particular disposition or if it's bred to its close bloodline which may carry a particular DNA flaw that would then be compounded. So I feel its trust in a breeder. They don't have to be the best to get my vote. I believe it's possible to get great results from a $ 1500.00 dog just as well as a $3000.00 dog.I love the color of the Kay's dogs. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. There are some other compromises that are closer to home. But this is why I'm looking at Teehaven. She was also referred to me by one of the best poodle breeders I've ever known, here locally. (Marquis Diamond) I will be buying my next from her. (when my 13 year old girl passes, hopefully in twenty years/ ha ha) Unfortunately she doesn't have one available for 6 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You know there are allot of things that separate good breeders from others. (In my opinion) History, health, temperament, show results, attention to detail, etc. All of these are important. However I feel color, size, looks, conformation are also very important. I want a healthy, forever companion that has a better chance of hitting the plus side of 13 to 15 years and attractive "to me". My taste doesn't always fall in line with the pros. I like what I like. By dealing with a reputable breeder you hope you have a better handle on the DNA history/health of the animal. It's like the old jokes about being able to marry your first cousin. The biggest issues with a dog is if it's prone to a particular disposition or if it's bred to its close bloodline which may carry a particular DNA flaw that would then be compounded. So I feel its trust in a breeder. They don't have to be the best to get my vote. I believe it's possible to get great results from a $ 1500.00 dog just as well as a $3000.00 dog.I love the color of the Kay's dogs. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. There are some other compromises that are closer to home. But this is why I'm looking at Teehaven. She was also referred to me by one of the best poodle breeders I've ever known, here locally. (Marquis Diamond) I will be buying my next from her. (when my 13 year old girl passes, hopefully in twenty years/ ha ha) Unfortunately she doesn't have one available for 6 months.
Thanks a lot for the write up, totally agree with the points you stated. I’m about to place a deposit for a litter that is due in late July but I would totally prefer to get the puppy now that I’m working from home. I’m in a similar dilemma as you since I would have to fly the puppy back to SoCal.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
From a recent thread

My about 14 lbs boy will not fit in an under seat carrier based on these criteria.

A general description of airline requirements:

If you are thinking of traveling with your pet in the cabin of an airplane, you will need an airline compliant pet carrier. Here are the minimum features that your carrier must have to be airline compliant:

• Your carrier must have a waterproof bottom
  • Your carrier must have adequate ventilation
  • Your pet must be securely fastened in the carrier. (no snaps, please, zippers are better)
  • Your carrier must fit under the seat in front of you.
  • Your pet must be the proper size for the carrier. It must be able to stand up and turn around in the carrier.
The last criteria is the most important on the list and may mean the difference of getting on the airplane with your pet or not.
Measure your pet from top of head to the ground and from the tip of the nose to the base (not tip) of tail. Use these measurements to select a pet carrier.
Generally, if your pet's weight exceeds 15 pounds and is more than 19" long, it will be too large to fit into an airline compliant carrier.

From Southwest Airlines:

Acceptable Pet Carriers:

• The Southwest Airlines Pet Carrier (17” long x 9.5” high x 10” wide).
  • Other pet carriers with maximum dimensions of 18.5” long x 8.5” high x 13.5” wide.
  • Soft-sided and hard-sided carriers specifically designed as pet carriers are acceptable.
  • The carriers must be leak-proof and well ventilated.
  • The pet carrier must be small enough to fit under the seat in front of the Customer and be stowed in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations.
Pet Carrier Requirements:

• Southwest Airlines allows only one pet carrier per ticketed Passenger.
  • The carrier may contain two (2) cats or dogs and must be of the same species per carrier.
  • The cat or dog must be completely inside the pet carrier and be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease.
  • Pets must be secured in the pet carrier at all times while in the gate area, during boarding/deplaning, and they must remain in the carrier for the entire duration of the flight. Failure to follow this requirement may result in denial of transportation of the pet onboard Southwest Airlines.
Note: Pet carriers are considered either a personal item or a carryon item. A Customer may board the aircraft with either a pet carrier and a personal item or a pet carrier and a regular size carryon bag. A Customer may not board the aircraft with a pet carrier, a regular size carryon bag, and a personal item. The pet carrier must conform to all carryon baggage regulations.

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts
The litter on their website looks older than 8 weeks. Are those the puppies you're considering? If so, I'd say too large for underseat storage, unfortunately.

My last girl was a doxie mix (so short legs), and even she was a tight squeeze into a carry-on approved bag. And that was at 10 lbs. As she filled out, I didn't even attempt to close her into that bag. I'm sure I physically could have, but it didn't feel right.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I always drive but breeders sometimes have pet nannies and they will drive to you or meet you halfway. I know I've debated with upcoming pup just bc with covid-19 I don't like taking my kids out anywhere. Ours is a little over 3 hrs away so it would cost $150 to our home or $75 for halfway. Or if you have family or a close friend who is need maybe they'd do it as well. Just make sure it's someone you know well and can trust.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A possibility is a first class seat as they have larger leg room and allow bigger bags to be stowed in front of seats. plus some airlines will allow you to move within first class if they aren't full. so if your seated in a seat next to someone and the next row has no one, the flight attendants usually wont mind if you ask to move back so u have more room. most airports have little boxes by the ticket booth to see if your bag fits it or needs to be checked so you could take different appropriate carriers and see if they fit in that box. i know mine was quite large and in first class it fit by my legs with room. but in coach it had to be put above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the very first row of first class usually has quite a bit more leg room than the other first class seats as well.
Hi Group,

Has anyone had any experience recently or perhaps in the last year or so, transporting a puppy? I know the virus thing has really caused allot of changes. My dilemma is that I'm purchasing a puppy in Oklahoma and live in California. My first choice would be to get on a flight, take position of the pup and fly out immediately. But with the virus, I really don't want to fly. I also don't want the pup to fly in the cargo hole either. Isn't there a way of having the airlines place the pup/cage in the main cabin or main cabin below floor storage hole that's fully air conditioned, etc?

Any thoughts,

J
Drive to OK and get your pup. I know that some breeders ship pups regularly but I, personally, would take the chance. If your pup, at the last minute, wouldn’t fit in a carrier that goes under the seat, then s/he would have to go in the cargo hold. NOT a great thing for a baby! Too many uncertainties: what if there’s a delay and you’re stuck on the runway for a long period of time. No knowing if the cargo area is air conditioned ...or not. You could lose your pup. The other suggestion is to wait for a pup from a breeder that is in CA. Sometimes satisfying a desire for a pup right away, immediately, isn’t the best choice. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drive to OK and get your pup. I know that some breeders ship pups regularly but I, personally, would take the chance. If your pup, at the last minute, wouldn’t fit in a carrier that goes under the seat, then s/he would have to go in the cargo hold. NOT a great thing for a baby! Too many uncertainties: what if there’s a delay and you’re stuck on the runway for a long period of time. No knowing if the cargo area is air conditioned ...or not. You could lose your pup. The other suggestion is to wait for a pup from a breeder that is in CA. Sometimes satisfying a desire for a pup right away, immediately, isn’t the best choice. Just an opinion.
Finally found a solution. Out of no where, a reputable local breeder came up with a great little girl here in town.

A little more money but no travel, no hidden issues, no problem...

Thanks for all you feedback,

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts