Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone😁
Our vet was very insistent about feeding Dobby with Hill's VET ESSENTIALS GROWTH Small & Mini Puppy Food with Chicken this food. I don’t know what it is with vets and their Hills obsession🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve noticed many are big fans.. anyways, we tried it for a while, but I wasn’t satisfied with the ingredients and decided to switch to Farmina Pet Foods - Dog food - N&D Ancestral Grain Canine - Lamb & Blueberry Puppy mini. She’s still having more of the hills,maybe around 75% to 25%. It’s been 2 days and her stool was normal,she liked the taste as well. But today after lunch, she started to scoot and couldn’t poop😕 she only managed to leave the tiniest stool after trying for minutes.Her anal glands seem to be swollen and a bit red as well. Maybe feeding her low-grain is the reason? or maybe switching the proteins?
I was excited about this brand and I want to continue feeding her with it but should I stop considering the situation? Or should I see how it goes after a few days? I’m wondering if anyone had a similar experience with Farmina or with low grain food in general. Also feel free to look at the ingredients and write your opinion about the food, I could really use some help😅

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
It seems unlikely that introducing 25% of a new kibble could cause that, but maybe she's allergic to one of the ingredients? Allergies can absolutely affect the anal glands, and if she's having trouble pooping, that's worrisome. Constipation can be dangerous, as can abscessed glands.

Has she had issues with her anal glands before?

·
Registered
489 Posts
If the grain in each food is different, this could give her problems. You really should not mix the foods because each grain needs a different balance in the gut.

Let the dog skip a meal if possible, or give him a meal of raw meat. This is to give his system a chance to rest. Foster dogs rarely are delivered with their dog food, but since I feed raw it has never been a problem- no change over in grain.

Hills is not a top rated food. Vets like it because they can earn money by selling it. I'm not saying it might be a great food specifically for a certain dog, but over all, it is not a best food. I would not feed it to my dogs. Give the Hills away and just give the Farmina.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To clarify some stuff,she isn’t having problems with pooping now, she pooped the normal amount and the stool was normal. She is still having issues with her anal glands though. They seem to get worse😕 She has never experienced this before, I saw her scoot maybe once or twice and that’s it.They never got emptied.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
To clarify some stuff,she isn’t having problems with pooping now, she pooped the normal amount and the stool was normal. She is still having issues with her anal glands though. They seem to get worse😕 She has never experienced this before, I saw her scoot maybe once or twice and that’s it.They never got emptied.
How old is she now? My dog didn't need them emptied for a few months but then started needing them emptied occasionally.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
She’ll be 6 months old in a week.
Then I do think it is quite likely that she just has slowly built up fluid in them. That is similar to the age mine was when he started needing them emptied. Small dogs generally need them emptied because they do not apply enough pressure when defecating to naturally empty them. I typically check them around once a month now, just because waiting until they start leaking gets really gross.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then I do think it is quite likely that she just has slowly built up fluid in them. That is similar to the age mine was when he started needing them emptied. Small dogs generally need them emptied because they do not apply enough pressure when defecating to naturally empty them. I typically check them around once a month now, just because waiting until they start leaking gets really gross.
Yeah you’re right, it can be completely unrelated to the food situation. Thanks for sharing your experience☺

1 - 9 of 9 Posts