Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Orville was eating Royal Canin Puppy. He has a horrible habit of eating his poop. I've tried everything - FOR-BID powder, pureed pumpkin.. nothing really works. I figured I would try changing his food cuz his poop does smell more like a meal than waste.. gross, I know. Anyway.. it's been about 2 weeks and I have slowly been transitioning him to Wellness Puppy, mixing it with less and less Royal Canin each time. His poops have been quite solid. Tonight he had his first bowl of just Wellness Puppy. Well.. he splattered all over the place. Poor guy. He was going for the potty pad and his brother Snoops nudged him outta the way so he could pee! Needless to say.. there was a slight mess. Will his poops firm up soon? Or should I expect the runs over the next few days?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
For the dog poo eating, with the recommendation of a Vet and breeder I was told to use a light dusting of meat tenderizer on their food, which I did and it might have helped some but many people sware by it. My one Pom did this....he would poo and turn right around and attempt to eat it. I also switched their food which is what you are doing. For the runny poo, maybe lighten up on his kibble and add some rice and chicken in with it (some bland food, nothing heavy). If the poo gets real bad then you may have to take him off for several days feeding just a bland diet and then slowly introduce the kibble back in. If you do this his system will be pretty cleaned out you may be able to go straight in with the wellness. Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Olie - I have read on here about the meat tenderizer before. I may try that.. but unsure about all of the msg and additives that usually go into it??
I feel that he is doing it:
1) because his poop smells good
2) he feels he will get into trouble from eating his poop so he is trying to conceal it
3) he sees me clean it up as soon as he poops so he is trying to clean it up..

Snoops ate his poop as a puppy as well.. but soon stopped on his own at about 5 or 6 months old. I'm hoping Orville will grow out of it as his brother did..

He doesn't eat the poop of other's, IE. when we come across poop on our walks.. but he loves to devour his own!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thanks for the advice Olie - I have read on here about the meat tenderizer before. I may try that.. but unsure about all of the msg and additives that usually go into it??
I feel that he is doing it:
1) because his poop smells good
2) he feels he will get into trouble from eating his poop so he is trying to conceal it
3) he sees me clean it up as soon as he poops so he is trying to clean it up..

Snoops ate his poop as a puppy as well.. but soon stopped on his own at about 5 or 6 months old. I'm hoping Orville will grow out of it as his brother did..

He doesn't eat the poop of other's, IE. when we come across poop on our walks.. but he loves to devour his own!
Typically dogs eat their own poo when they are lacking something in their diet. Cesar Millan had an episode on this once but he went thru a series of foods to determine this missing piece. And I "think" the meat tendorizer is to make their poo not so "flavorfull" oohhhiiiiie:doh: I like your thoughts though:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts