Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have been a home groomer since bringing our puppy home at 8 weeks (I am an avid reader of the Diary thread, lol).

I have been grooming on the floor on a specific soggy doggy mat but my simplegroom table has arrived! Still waiting for the overhead arm and attachments.

Is there any secret to acclimating a pup to a table? Should I place the same mat ON the table so she can “get” what’s happening?
Should I start with a few short “visits” to the table first? Or just go for it, slowly, and see how she does?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Starla has been with us for 9 weeks and I think she’s been up on the table all but 2 or 3 of those 63 days. I would probably put the mat she’s used to on the table at first to help her transition.
Some days we do doggy push-ups and then she gets down. (These are her favorite days! She’s such a ham and loves performing, so she gets to show off and gets treats and then of course gets her ‘you did it!’ treat when we’re done) Maybe doing something like this would let you see how she does on the table.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is my favorite poodle groomer. He's got a video on table manners with some nuggets of info for at-home groomers. Plus, he's funny. Watch to the end because he talks about how he would start to train his own poodle puppy for the table.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thank you for this!!! Will watch it immediately!!!!

ETA: great tip on not teaching your dog to “dance” up on the table! And to treat a puppy and let them sleep up there (I assume he means lay / doze)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts