Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fritz is now 15 weeks and is pretty reliable going to pads to do his business. He also now understands that it is okay to do his business outside. I’d like to transition him from the pads to going outside all the time. Is 15 weeks to young? I thought to take away the pads entirely since he will think these are still okay to use. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
I only used pads with Lily. She had decided to start shredding them by the time Peeves came home, so even Lily did not make much use of them. We had to stop putting them out cold turkey. I bought a pack of ten for Javelin but still have eight of them. I just took one with me when he was coming out with me and I wasn't sure what the potty opportunities would be like.

My only real sort of suggestion for a transition would be to move the pad closer to the door over time.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
15 weeks is pretty young to be 100% reliable so I would just start moving the pad closer to the door you exit for potty time......keep taking him out to potty with your "go potty" command but start maybe teaching him a signal or be aware of 'his' signal so you know when he is 'telling you' he needs to go out..........many people miss it!LOL!

P.S. My girl is trained for both ......potty on command comes in handy when you live in an Apt and the dog wants out at 11pm! I actually pad trained her when she was older so I guess we did things in reverse hahaha!

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
Molly made a very good point about understanding the concept of not pottying in the house vs. being really housebroken. Puppies understand the concept long before they can reliably resist the urge to empty against pressure of a full bladder or bowel. The neuromuscular ability to be able to do so doesn't generally develop for most pups until 6 or 7 months of age. It is really imprtant to be clear about the difference between understanding the concept vs. the ability to execute.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would remove the pads when you are home and can take her outside. When you bring her to the potty door, have her sit nicely. Open the door, using your hand if you have to on her chest to hold her in the sit. Give her a cue ("out") and let her outside. Or, if you have to leash her, leash her while she is sitting, step out the door, say, out and go.

This way, she will go sit at the door when she needs to go out. You can even attach a bell to the doorknob if you want.

When you have to leave and don't think she can hold it, leave it where you having been leaving it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts