Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just rescued a 4 month toy from a horrible pet store where she was mistreated! she was really good with the brush for the first week but now she's a wiggle worm every time i get it out! I try offering treats but she hates the brush! This is my first dog that requires daily brushing so im not exactly sure how to get her used to grooming. Any tips? id appreciate it! Thanks guys

ps. pictures coming soon... shes a little cutie... dilute silver :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sorry but I wouldn't of purchased her from a pet
store, especially one you consider "horrible." Pet
stores usually get their dogs and puppies from
puppymills which consist of inbreeding and horrible
conditions.:(

I applaud you for wanting to give her a good home
though and rescuing her as you put it. Have you taken
her to the vet after purchasing her for testing? Has she
had all of her shots and wormings?Does she have a health guarantee of some sort?

Some of the more experienced poodle forum members
I'm sure could help you out whatever questions/concerns
you may have. :)

Please get her spayed also. ;)

As for the grooming issue, my 3 month old female is the
same way, it helps when I place her on a good elevated
table to groom her.

Can't wait to see those pictures! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for writing back.
She has been to the vet and has had all her shots. she just received her rabies and bordatella last week.
I am planning on having her spayed as soon as she gains a little more weight. I don't think she really got all that much to eat while at the store. I know that she may have potential health problems in the future but I am prepared for that if it happens. I am a very compassionate person who is used to caring for sick pets. I've had 2 cats with feline lukemia, and one with feline aids (didn't have them all at the same time.) I used to work at an emergency vet clinic and i am currently going to school get my vet tech certification.
she's negative for all parasites.
she is doing a lot better than she was when she was scared when i brought her home. There is no health garantee but I am not ever going to show her. We'll just take it one day at a time. She just needed a home and I'm such a sucker for sweet innocent eyes!

Thanks for the advice I will try elevating her and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hi thanks for writing back.
She has been to the vet and has had all her shots. she just received her rabies and bordatella last week.
I am planning on having her spayed as soon as she gains a little more weight. I don't think she really got all that much to eat while at the store. I know that she may have potential health problems in the future but I am prepared for that if it happens. I am a very compassionate person who is used to caring for sick pets. I've had 2 cats with feline lukemia, and one with feline aids (didn't have them all at the same time.) I used to work at an emergency vet clinic and i am currently going to school get my vet tech certification.
she's negative for all parasites.
she is doing a lot better than she was when she was scared when i brought her home. There is no health garantee but I am not ever going to show her. We'll just take it one day at a time. She just needed a home and I'm such a sucker for sweet innocent eyes!

Thanks for the advice I will try elevating her and see how it goes.
No problem, I try my best to help with the knowledge I have
learned myself. Glad to hear your taking good care of her! :D

When I aksed if she had a health guarantee, that really doesn't
concern showing. My new boy I got has one and I'm not going to
show him, but that guarantee I have says if anything happens
to him while in my posession for a year (death, disease) I will get
my money back from the person whom I purchased him from.

Yeah, try the whole elevation thing and see how that works out,
not completely sure it will work, but it is worth a try. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Don't let her wiggle her way out of a brushing. If you give in to her, it just teaches her that she can get her way by fighting you. Poodles are smart! They can be very good at manipulating you. If you are not careful, she will have you trained not to brush. :)

Try short brushing sessions, just one leg at a time, making it as fun as possible with treats. Also make sure you have the right brush. A slicker brush with soft bristles would probably be best. There are some groomers on here that can tell you more specifically.

Post pictures! We want to see her!:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Soft is a relative term, lol.
There are different types of slicker brushes, with different levels of stiffness. I recently ordered a new one. When I got it it was so stiff it was painful to my dog and uncomfortable for me to use. I should have gotten one specifically made with softer bristles. For now I'm using the one I got from WallyWorld, that is a lot softer.

Also the bristles should not have sharp edges, it damages the hair. Some brushes have slightly rounded bristles.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Do you know of one? All of the slicker brushes I've picked up feel scratchy when I draw them across my skin. I'd love to find a soft one. Anyone??
Doggyman is the best slicker brush, it doesnt tend to prick them like most others.

To the OP, you must brush her a couple times a day at this age and dont give in to her. Let her scream, carryon and fight you, but dont give up. The occassional ah ah, with a tone letting her know that you are not happy about it, but dont lose your patience with her. Sometimes its not just mistreatment at the pet shop but where they first come from. They have never felt human hands and love before. She could have been full of worms before she got to the pet shop. Nevertheless, you should never buy from backyarders, petshops and farms. Its only lining their pockets and gives them a good excuse to keep breeding. If noone bought this pup, she would end up in a shelter and you could have rescued her there. That is rescuing, not from a petshop.

Good luck with her, and try to make some of her grooming time fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
WalMart of all places has a great soft brush!

And yes, they are GREAT at manipulation. Finnigan won't eat dry food for me, but he will for my husband, because I gave hin to him only a few times.

In the middle of brushing if Finn starts getting antsy, I praise him (verbally) then finish. When I am done, I give him his rawhide chew or a tiny treat and more praise. Now he knows, when I'm done, I get a treaat, so I'll be good. After only a few brushings, he sits very well for me considering he is only not quite 11 weeks old. I brush him often, about 2-3 times per day.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I found Doggyman slickers to be wonderful, very soft, the right size for my hands and well designed. When Inca was a baby, I did all the grooming on my knee or on a chair that was enclosed except for the front. She learned very quickly to lie on her side and let me get at her and it was very soothing for both of us. I miss her big mane now she is in pet trim. Do it every day or more often, until she accepts what you are doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts