Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've had success in training 2 of our dogs on a treadmill.

I had them go on the treadmill without it turned on until they feel comfortable enough to go on it by themselves. (using the "up" command) Then I turn it on very low so they walk step by step, and slowly increase it from there.

I recommend 2 people, one to keep an eye on the dog and handle the leash and one to operate the treadmill.
The reason I leash them, is so they don't jump off the side once the treadmill starts going.
Once they are use to it it's an awesome tool to use to get rid of some built up energy!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Yes, I would like to eventually use it for toning. My girl is young right now but I wanted to acclimate her to it so she will be use to it down the line. I tried her last night and she did well but I had to turn it up to walk a bit faster so she would stay on. If it goes too slow she jumps off. I will take it a little at a time and eventually she may enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
He have had half success lol

Enzo gets on the treadmill but he will take a crap because he does not want to be on it .... he will stay on it if we watch him so we usually tie him.

here is a video when he was a puppy

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That is a cute video roxy :)

You want to start out slow, and turn it down if they start pulling on the leash.... you want the leash to be slightly loose and they should be running in the middle or towards the front of the treadmill. You don't want them to feel overwhelmed, they should associate it with a fun activity... that way they'll learn to stay on by themselves. If they feel overwhelmed they might try to jump off, which can cause injury if you have them tied to the treadmill.

I usually turn it up to a natural jog... not too slow... it's better to have them run a little longer than to try and tire them out quickly.

Here is a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_un_rK4ys

And one of a minipoo pro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4VaNACico

·
Registered
145 Posts
All four of my adult dogs will run on a treadmill, some like it more than others. We discussed exercising puppies earlier. Just as you should not take a puppy under 12 months on formal walks, you should not run one on a treadmill for more than 5 minutes. But I would take advantage of the youth and train them on the treadmill early, as they do adapt better to it when younger. I put the dog in a slip lead and turn on the machine (I have the slip lead tied to the cross bar up front), coaxing them forward while holding the lead about a foot above their head gently pulling them forward with my hand, and not letting them slip off the back, side or become choked. There is a speed that it optimum, you just have to figure it out. If it goes too slow, it is awkward and they have too much time to think about what is going on and revolt. It needs to be fast enough to occupy them so all they can concentrate on is moving. Some dogs respond well to coaxing with treats, but others will plunge off forward trying to get the treat. The trick is for you yourself to exude confidence. Don't baby the dog, or act like it is a big deal. Be matter of factual, and always reward after with a treat. When my dogs want treats, they go stand on the treadmill.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh, and of course never leave your dog unattended on the treadmill. I have a piano next to mine and I play while they run, always prepared to quickly react when someone has a mis-step.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Omg, those are SO fun to watch!! How long and how often should an adult standard be on a treadmill? When I get my standard I really want to use this method to help keep him in shape, as the road near the house I'll be living in doesn't have a sidewalk, is narrow, and people like to floor their gas pedals down it, so I can either get a treadmill, or I can drive to a safe dog walking area (I want to do both.)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oh yeah, you might want to make sure it's legal in your area to allow a dog on a treadmill. There's certain places in the USA that it's highly illegal to allow your dog on one because that's one way that criminals beef their dogs up for pit fighting.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh yeah, you might want to make sure it's legal in your area to allow a dog on a treadmill. There's certain places in the USA that it's highly illegal to allow your dog on one because that's one way that criminals beef their dogs up for pit fighting.
OMG how weird! All the idiots ruin it for everyone don't they?:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah =/ its sad really. The treadmills they use for dog fighting are normally home made though, and can be REALLY dangerous for the dogs that they're trying to beef up.

If one is found in your possession like this (which is obviously used for dogs), I believe you're arrested on the spot.
Can you imagine how easy it would be for a nail to get caught in those planks? Or for a foot to fall through the sides?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well they aren't destroying something they are whimping out and letting their dogs do all the work for them.
It's not even about them being whimpy... they are just plain cruel human beings. Just saw this story on HSUS website today of a dog who's lips was cut off by her dogfighting owner cause she was severely injured in a dogfight.

Who in their right mind cuts off a dog's lips?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yeah =/ its sad really. The treadmills they use for dog fighting are normally home made though, and can be REALLY dangerous for the dogs that they're trying to beef up.
If one is found in your possession like this (which is obviously used for dogs), I believe you're arrested on the spot.
Can you imagine how easy it would be for a nail to get caught in those planks? Or for a foot to fall through the sides?

These treadmill are not really homemade ( not all of them) they have several companies that hand make them.

They are also not dangerous either. I know a lot of breeders who use them and they do not fight their dogs. Its just one of those things that the media gets people worked up about. I think its real sad that now if you have a trademill and dog your a dog fighter. If you have your dogs chained up your a dog fighter. I just get sick of all of this personally only because I have spent half my life talking to apbt breeders and most of the stuff I found to be myths.

If the dog does not have Multiple Scars the dog has not been fought its plan and simple.

Here are some pictures of some apbt I took at a ADBA all of these dogs where most likely worked out on one of those trademills. Please take note of shiny coats and how fit these dogs are. Also take note of no scars

This is my friends dog Jack

This dog was my favorite at the show

This dog won the show

Sorry for the rant lol

PS I also think dog fighting is cruel ! I just don't see how people could get a kick out of watching their dogs fight.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm not saying anyone that has a treadmill is a dog fighter, I'm just saying that in some areas you get in trouble for having them and having dogs used for fighting. I should have added that they also look for other evidence.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'm not saying anyone that has a treadmill is a dog fighter, I'm just saying that in some areas you get in trouble for having them and having dogs used for fighting. I should have added that they also look for other evidence.
I undersrood what you where saying but I hate how people think those treadmills are used only by dog fighters ( this is what the humane society thinks it was not directed at you :D ) . Its just a treadmill with no motor. The dog has to actually want to run to use it so its not like the dogs are being forced to use it as if they where on a motor treadmill.

Some of the AC evidence can include treadmill and breaking stick ( which in my opinion is not proof). I also hate when I watch Animal cops and they see a apbt chained up they straight out say it was a fighting dog..... and I love how they say this dog was Trained to fight lol that one always gets me.

I have seen apbt on the non motor treadmills they love it so much. ( again these apbt I am talking about are not the same as the show/pet ones these dogs are the working version with HIGH prey and energy !)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts