Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm proud of my pup and my daughter tonight!
We are at our halfway mark in our beginner training class. The first week was with no dogs, and I handled Raffi the next two weeks but my daughter has been doing about half the at-home training practice (with me watching/advising). She has been reading the "homework" page sent every week.
Today, I did the first 15 minutes or so of the class, and then she took over and handled Raffi for the remaining 45 minutes. They did so well! He was really focusing on her, and followed her commands. She was able to pay attention to Raffi as well as listen to the trainer and watch out for other dogs in the class- not an easy task! She even got him focused back on her during the running recall work that got all the dogs hyped up. The gentleman sitting outside the ring beside me commented that she was doing a better job of handling than some of the adults in the class. She is 10 years old.
The instructors were so awesome too, making sure she understood what each exercise involved and giving her tips, and even had her demonstrate a trick with Raffi.
A great training session all around!

This was during a training session at home a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Wonderful! This is such good experience for them both!

Reactions: Starvt

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Definitely a training experience worth bragging about. What a wonderful experience for your daughter and Raffi. I bet they are developing a very special bond and your daughter is learning wonderful skills. BravI to all.

Reactions: Starvt

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
You should be quite pr out of your daughter for taking such a keen interest in learning and for doing so well at it. Perhaps one day she will be a junior handler in one of the rings! I think that would be quite cool.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This wonderful! I love to see parents encouraging their children to love and train dogs almost as much as I love to see children who love and honor dogs! Beautiful picture too

·
Super Moderator
1,490 Posts
That is fantastic. It's great she's doing so well now. It's also great that you have found her an activity she can pursue through those tough tween years. I'm sure at times it will be a relief for her to be able to hang out with dogs and people who love dogs for a few hours.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Maybe your daughter would love training Raffi for agility. I’ve taught several children, the youngest being 7 in the beginning level of agility. One of them has advanced to being ready to compete. Their parents sit outside the ring, the child with their dog is on the ring with the rest of the adult/dog teams. All the children have been amazing and I bet your daughter would be too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all!
Cowpony, that is a very good point! And a better use of her spare time than a lot of other things teens might be doing.
Mufar and Skylar, I could see her continuing on into more advanced training, and I think Raffi would be a good fit too. In your experience is there a venue that suits kids most? Or is it best to choose whatever suits the individual dog best? At least to start with anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts