Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, apricot miniature poodle boy coming home on 13th Dec. His name is Buddy ?. Much preparation underway and I would like to get a good puppy training book for my husband and daughter to read (I have read loads although would appreciate a book too) Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
Ian Dunbar's What to Do Before/After You Get Your Puppy are both available as free downloads at dogstardaily.com. They are both small but loaded with great info.

Somewhere here there is a thread with a reference list of other training books.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Ian Dunbar's What to Do Before/After You Get Your Puppy are both available as free downloads at dogstardaily.com. They are both small but loaded with great info.

Catherine would you post the link for download, I can’t seem to find it. Thanks !

Edit : nevermind, I got it !

https://www.dogstardaily.com/training/you-get-your-puppy

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
In addition to books, I’d find a good training club to take your puppy to for classes. In addition to a class giving you some structure in training, it’s also a great to talk to fellow puppy owners and your trainers for resources in your community.

·
Super Moderator
5,196 Posts

I second this. I read the printed version cover to cover with my last puppy and then again, 14 years later, with Peggy. I asked my husband to download the audio book to listen to while he works and that was very helpful. It's so important that the whole household is on the same page.

·
Super Moderator
5,196 Posts
Hi there, apricot miniature poodle boy coming home on 13th Dec. His name is Buddy ?. Much preparation underway and I would like to get a good puppy training book for my husband and daughter to read (I have read loads although would appreciate a book too) Any recommendations?
Congratulations, by the way!! Can't wait to see photos of Buddy.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Totally agree on Dr. Dunbar's books. Also I love Culture Clash. The chapter on housetraining is worth the price of the book by itself. We owners can completely slow it down without even realizing what we're doing, and her info on that is fantastic.

It's not scoldy and its an easy, enjoyable read.

Can't wait to see your Buddy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts