Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about this. I am getting to the point that I need help and I think Ginger could be trained to say bring me my slippers - that's if she doesn't run away with them first! lol s he is so concerned about me - she stands by my bed and puts her muzzle on it - she is so dear.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you - I have bad arthritis and right now both my shoulders need replacing so its hard to walk the dogs if they start to pull.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Pamela, sorry to hear about your arthritis. Sounds like Ginger could be trained. Do you want her to be a public service dog and go everywhere with you? If so you will need to try to find a service dog organization that will help you train her. A lot don't let you use your own dog. I'm hearing impaired and I went to several classes with Albert last year. It was very interesting, several mobility dogs were in the class. Albert is getting older and started showing signs of stress so I stopped going. I only need him at home anyway so I didn't need the public training. Internet search may be a good place to start. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I also just want to use her at home. Teddy presents a problem though - maybe I could train both! ha ha as if. Sorry I don't mean to be mean but he is a little slow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I understand about Teddy. It takes a while for Brody to pick up on things. :tongue: If you just want to use Ginger at home you should be able to find information on training her to retrieve items. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Hi Pamela,
Did you find any information on training your own service dog? If not go to heritageservicedogs.org. You will find basic information to get you started there. I have trained my own service dogs, and we have helped people all over the country train their own dogs. If you have more questions, let me know.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Does anyone know anything about this. I am getting to the point that I need help and I think Ginger could be trained to say bring me my slippers - that's if she doesn't run away with them first! lol s he is so concerned about me - she stands by my bed and puts her muzzle on it - she is so dear.
Pamela: Sorry to hear about your difficulties! I know someone who used this book to help train her standard poodle service dog.
Teamwork II - Dog Training Manual for People with Disabilities (Service Exercises): Stewart Nordensson, Lydia Kelley: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Just a heads up, but this is an old thread!
Just noticed that myself! It's been "brought back to life" just as some new threads about poodle service dogs have sprung up. I guess "what's old is new again"! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts