Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get a better idea of the average size of a toy vs. a miniature.

I had what I presumed was a miniature poodle. I believe he was 11 inches at the withers and he weighed about 11 pounds throughout his adult life. However, now when I'm looking to get another poodle, I see most of the miniatures look much larger than him but then the toys seem to be much smaller.

I would like to get a dog of similar weight as I can't carry much more than that due to back/neck issues but also would rather not have a super tiny (less than 5 pound) dog.

When I look online I get multiple sites that seem to contradict one another when talking about the average weight. What would be the average for each size category? If you have toys/miniatures, what are their sizes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Most toys are bred to be as close to the height limit (10 inches) as possible, while most miniatures are bred to be the same. There isn't really a weight specification (although of course, you want the dog to be healthy), so the weight will vary.
So--
Toy poodles are anything below 10 inches (mine is just over that and weighs 8 pounds)
Miniatures are anything above 10 inches and below 15 inches
And, finally, Standards are anything over 15 inches.
So your mini would actually have been close to the middle of the allowed size.
You can find some breeders who breed a bit smaller than the limit. Ultimately, however, I would look at the size of the parents to determine if the dog is likely to be the size you want.
Poodle Dog Breed Information
Breed Standards : Poodle | United Kennel Club (UKC)

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
To make it more confusing, what makes a dog a toy or miniature are the parents (and you shouldn’t breed toys with miniatures). So a puppy from toy parents who is 12 inches high would not be a miniature, but an oversized toy. A puppy from miniature parents who is 9 inches would not be a toy, but a small miniature.

In my picture, Merlin (apricot) is an oversized toy at almost 11 1/2 inches. Beckie, same height, but heavier, is most probably a miniature. Merlin has smaller bones and struture, smaller paws, and the eyes of a typical toy (kind of bulging). Beckie is sturdier, heavier and her eyes are not bulging (for lack of a better term).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Most miniatures are probably around 13-14.5 inches (on average) and 12-15 lbs. The correct size range for miniatures is 10-15 inches in height but most are on the larger side. Smaller minis can weigh as little as 8 or 9 lbs. Toys tend to be 5 or 6 lbs, though may go oversize. Unless you get the dog from a show breeder with clear lines where you know parentage, my guess is that an 11" dog most likely comes from toy lines (just went oversize) or a mix of toy and mini. It is not typical to see true minis that are that small in height. If you get a well bred mini that is on the smaller side, they likely will have a weight that you are happy with so long as they are kept in correct physical condition.

·
Registered
635 Posts
In terms of ease of finding a puppy, I would guess that it is easier to find an oversized toy (8-10 lbs) than to find a small mini (9-11 lbs). I’ve noticed with toy litters there is a lot of buyer interest in smaller dogs (4-5 lbs) and it appears the larger toy puppies are more often the last to “get picked.” These are just my observations.

My personal feelings on what an ideal size/weight/variety is: a 10 lb mini poo. I like the structure and faces of minis a bit better than toys, and they are sturdier. My back appreciates a light-weight dog. However, trying to find small minis is an exercise in frustration! I bought my mini poodle expecting and accepting that she would be about 13 lbs as an adult, per breeder guess. At 13-months old she has been 11 lbs since about June. I think there’s room for her to fill out a bit more, so I’m not ready to say that’s her adult weight.

Another important consideration in the toy vs mini decision: minis tend to be more active. If you yourself are not very active, you’ll probably be happier with a toy.

Enjoy your poodle search. It’s fun!

Reactions: MMM18
1 - 5 of 5 Posts