Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about doing agility with toy poodles? Jazzy is so athletic, if a dog can be athletic, but she would be perfect for soemthing like this. I have no experince with it, but am interested in doing something. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

She is quite the jumper she is 4 1/2 months and jumps over a foot off the ground which seems really good to me for such a young pup, but again no experience here.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Tiny dogs can do agility too. There are some things that are going to be a little more difficult (the Aframe is quite large and depending on the weight of the dog, the teeter might be a little more difficult) but some things are easier for little dogs (getting better lines and tighter turns on course). Find a trainer or club in your area and check it out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love that picture! How do I find out about local clubs, or training classes, etc. Are there anybooks you reccomend? I'm not sure where to look.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here in England, small dogs don't jump more than 12" and shouldn't do this until they have stopped growing. My advice is to give your dog a very good obedience training. Most confident dogs can jump, do A frames, see saws, jumps and tunnels. It is how obedient your dog is that will make it good at agility.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't been having her do jumps this is just what she does when she is running through the house playing. I also have started basic obedience with her and she has no problems here super smart grl!

·
Registered
216 Posts
When we started agility, Inca did twice as many jumps as there were on the course - jump the jump - jump for joy in the middle - jump the jump. I was slightly afraid at the speed that she took the see saw and tried to slow it down. That lead to problems with her weight and not being able to get the see saw down to touch the ground. I made a sort of half hoop for the bottom of the stairs, put a treat behind it and got her to stay low through the hoop to get the treat. I used sheets of kitchen paper under dining chairs to help her get used to pushing through collapsed tunnels, children's play tunnels and planks of wood on the floor for her to walk over. At this age as well, you can get them used to running through wings of pretend jumps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts