Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for adding me to this forum. I'm searching for a Toy poodle that is not Docked and Dew claws are not removed for an agility prospect. Having a difficult time finding quality Toy with these requirements.
Thanks All,
Jill N

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Welcome Jill - can't be any help with your search but hope you find the perfect poodle for you.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Hi Jill that may be a tall order to find an undocked, dew claws on tpoo, but I wish you success. I would look for health testing, evidence of success in performance and/or conformation, temperament and then dew claws and tails, then color.

I have seen some wicked fast awesomely accurate agility tpoos. I think they are amazing to watch.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Are you in US or Canada ?

If in Canada, docking is forbidden in some provinces, so findind an undocked toy poodle with dewclaws is possible. Beckie, my black toy, is both. I really hate dewclaws though and I wish she had them removed.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Our Lab rescue recently tore a dewclaw - it took several weeks to heal. Since I have only recently had rescues (previous dogs were all from show kennels - either mine or someone else's), I had never experienced dew claw problems. I think that dewclaws are not desirable.

When I was breeding dogs I removed dewclaws at 3 days of age. It takes some knowledge and experience and could, of course, be done by a vet. Since I primarily raised poodles I always did my own tails and dewclaws because most vets do not really know how to determine exactly where to dock the tail. My vet for many years bred and exhibited cocker spaniels, so she taught me how to do dewclaws correctly. It's important to be able to find the exact place to cut, to use short, very sharp scissors, and to staunch any bleeding promptly. If done properly, the puppy barely feels it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts