Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have picked out a toy poodle that I am in love with. However I'm a little concerned because he's for he's slick and shining. I met him at 2 weeks old and then got videos of him at 4 weeks old. Some of his litter mates are getting a little fluffy but they still have pretty much have flat shiny coats. I did meet the mother and father who we're on the premises. Will my boy get fluffy at some point or am I getting scammed and he's not a poodle? I'm very nervous because I am already head over heels in love but I picked a poodle for.the hypoallergenic qualities. These pictures are at 2 weeks old. I have video from 4 weeks. Help?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm really sorry but not a poodle, around day 3 the pups lose the smooth shininess, the pups in my first pic are 9 days old and as you can see the coat is already quite rough looking as the curl comes in, just from the pics you've posted I wouldn't guarantee your pup even has any poodle in it and is unlikely to have a curly coat.

This is a two week old cream pup

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I agree that not a single puppy in that litter has a poodle coat. Was the "mother" actually nursing the pups? I'd be surprised if even one of the parents was full poodle. They could be a percentage poodle and just not inherit the fluffy coat, but they mostly look like chihuahua/terrier mixes to me. Possibly they will have a wire coat. I know chihuahua/poodle crosses often have a wire coat. But a wire coat will still shed more than a poodle coat.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Aside from the coat texture, the mix of fawn and black visible on the puppy's face would be very unusual in a pure toy poodle.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Good advice above. :) While absolutely adorable, these do not look like poodles. Can we see photos of the parents?

As a general rule, it’s best to work with a breeder who doesn’t allow puppy selection until a little later, when the puppies’ temperaments can be better assessed. You’ll also have a better idea of coat.

Within a single litter, you can have a wide range of drives and personalities. You really want to ensure you’re getting matched to the best puppy for your lifestyle and abilities. Our girl Peggy, for example, would have been a daunting challenge for many households, while some of her littermates turned out to be quite easygoing.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I agree these puppies look nothing like poodles. If you need a hypoallergenic/non-shedding breed, you may want to reconsider your choice.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ugh, I am sorry. This seems like a scam.

What do you know about the parents? Have they been through the necessary testing? Are they registered?

Have you paid the full price for this puppy? If not, I would pull out now. If you have already given money to the breeder, you might be out that money because usually it's hard to get back your money when it's a scam. If you take the puppy home, you might end up with a pup with a lot of health and possibly personality issues.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,777 Posts
Agree with everyone above; those pups look like my brothers' chihuahuas, not poodles. I'm so sorry that this person took advantage of you. It seems like you may feel torn, so just remember that the seller is emotionally manipulating you so that you go through with the sale despite your better judgment. I hope you're able to get your money back.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I, too, agree that those puppies are not purebred poodles (or even half-bred poodles!). The pictures posted by Anntig clearly show what a very young poodle's coat should look like.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Hi and Welcome to PF.

I'm sorry to say that these just don't look like poodles to me either. Along with the other pictures posted for comparison, I'm adding links to some photo posts of three different litters.

The first is at 16 days old, the second is at 3 weeks so it's unlikely any grooming has been started. The first two are standard pups but the poodle look is what you can compare to here.

One thing to note is the length of the whiskers of the pup you're considering. You will have to magnify these photos but if you do, you'll see the difference in whisker length. This also shows how the ears are set differently as well as the face shape and the body fur.

2 week old litter

3 week old litter

This is a thread with photos of toy poodles at 3 weeks and 5 weeks. ETA I counted incorrectly on the weeks. The owner has posted below.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve a litter of toy poodles, l will post a picture of mine at two weeks, then a photo at 4 weeks.
IMG_3723.jpg

That’s at two weeks
IMG_3901.jpg

Hope these help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts