Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My toy poodle was spayed when she was 20 months old. She had her first heat cycle at 17 months. Now, 6-7 months after her first heat and 4 months after her spayed surgery she has been spotting some blood. It doesn't look like a full heat cycle. She spotted blood for a few days and now its over. Anyone ever experience something like this?

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
I’ve never experienced this but I would be very worried and take her to the vet ASAP.

She can’t be in heat, she has no uterus and no ovaries. So what is bleeding ? You need to find out quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet ruled out a UTI infection. She just did some blood work on Friday for progesterone testing and one other thing (I can't remember).

Our intact male does seem more interested in her, but she is not having a full heat cycle. Just spotted for a 2 days.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
This sounds totally impossible with no uterus or ovaries! BUT there is a condition though called 'Ovarian Remnant Syndrome' which is cause by tissue left behind after a spay surgery. It can cause dogs to mimic the signs of a heat cycle as that 'tissue' can produce estrogen. If this is what happened I would hope you would not be charged for the bills racked up due to the Vet's mistake during the spay...... JMO!

Reactions: Dechi
1 - 5 of 5 Posts