Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
first of all, thank you to everyone for posting here, such an amazing community.
So, I (28, Female, no kids) am looking to get a toy poodle... or a maltipoo. I know this will cause a visceral reaction in many if not most - people seem to get angry even at the mention of the poodle crosses and I get it. I will list what I am looking for and prepared to give to my furry friend, and let me know if you have any thoughts or advice at all :)
What matters:
  • Size --> I travel occassionally, sometimes go away for the summer, and I'd take my dog with me, of course. I am not ok with the cargo hold so the dog needs to go on the plane with me. In some airlines the max height of the bag is around 24 cm, so the maltipoo would def fit. The toy poodle --> I guess most of them, too.
  • Separation anxiety --> I do NOT plan to leave my dog alone for hours and hours on end, but I do live a fairly dynamic life and I would want to take the dog with me to most places (this, again, is easier with a smaller dog). However, SOMETIMES, there may be occasions I need to leave it alone for a while (3 hours?). I do have a boyfriend with a remote work and a friend in my building who's willing to help but if they are both out, I need to know this is possible. I have friends with maltipoos and they leave them for 3-4 hours or so, but all the toy poodle breeders I speak to say toy poodles have insane sep anxiety and can not be left alone.
  • Health - of course. I'd go for a KC registered toy poodle, but for maltipoos understandably it is difficult to know what you're getting

I am prepared to give a lot of time, patience, and love to my dog. I decided now is the time - I lost my last dog in 2018, a min pin, and I couldn't bear myself to have another dog but it's been almost 3 years and I'm ready.

Occasionally I'd also love to take my pup to my work, which, again, I know a lot of people do with toy maltipoos, not sure re toy poodles. I do not want a "bag" dog but the dog being transportable is important, equally I would love walks in the park and hikes with my dog.
My min pin was a big dog in a small dog's body so he is not IMO a true TOY breed. That thing had the energy of a big dobermann.

Lastly, I have also been having issues with breeders. Of course, there are no "proper" maltipoo breeders but I seemed to have found a good one who cares a lot for her pups. She did demand a non refundable deposit which I stupidly paid but the next day.... the pup died. She said it was puppy fading syndrome. She doesn't seem sketchy as a lot of high profile people buy from this breeder but not even sure that counts for much. Would this be a red flag for you?

Thank you so much for any thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.